Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter collapse? $0.02 wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
I appreciate all the great input I've received.

Well. I THINK I found the problem. I tore apart the driver side of the engine looking for bent pushrods, etc. Long story short, I think one of the rocker bolts lost torque. After finding nothing and retorquing the rockers back to 22ft/ lbs..... no loud ticking. (Makes me wish I torque checked them before hunting for bent pushrods ) There's still a lot of valvetrain chatter, but no distinctive tick. I'm driving it and will see if it comes back. If it does, I'll do a retorque (and blue locktite) the rocker bolts

On the cam bearing Q....my #1bearing was wearing. Saw it when installing the cam. Pisses me off since the car only has 17K miles! Also...didn't remove the oil pump. I had a new pump installed by GM last year after a recall on the o-ring gasket for some 02 models. Pump has 6K miles on it.

On the lifter, I found out from a knowledgeable friend that I should be showing abormal (abnormally high) pressure with a bad lifter, not to mention poor upper RPM drivablity. My idle press is 40-45PSI and 55-60 at WOT, so normal there. Pulls without missing to the red line too....so I'm ruling out the lifter at this point. Yep....thinking the rocker arm bolt was the prob.

I thought that was your problem when you posted it up. When ever you torque the rocker arms it is best to do them and then crank the engine over with a ratchet on the crank bolt a few times..then check the torque again..use the RED loctite on your rocker arm bolts..if you do it this way they will not loosen up...
Old 07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish you would of checked them first to so you would of known for sure . Was there any that unscrewed easily? Wonder if there could of been some foreign material stuck in there preventing proper oiling and cleared out when you took it apart. All guess work at this point..

unless you clean all the oil off the rocker bolts and holes, loctite will do nothing at all except mix with your oil . Hope your problem is gone for good, keep us posted.

Dan
Old 07-27-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Wish you would of checked them first to so you would of known for sure . Was there any that unscrewed easily? Wonder if there could of been some foreign material stuck in there preventing proper oiling and cleared out when you took it apart. All guess work at this point..

unless you clean all the oil off the rocker bolts and holes, loctite will do nothing at all except mix with your oil . Hope your problem is gone for good, keep us posted.

Dan

I was assuming that everyone here knew that you need to clean and dry all the parts for assembly...and then use loctite on the fasteners that require it..I use a lot of brake clean myself and q-tips for getting into those hard to reach places.....plus all the parts were in the parts washer and use compresssed air to blow dry them off...actually that is the first step of assembly...I like the permtex super slick assembly lube on the cam, push rods, & rocker arms too..
Old 07-27-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I was assuming that everyone here knew that you need to clean and dry all the parts for assembly...and then use loctite on the fasteners that require it..I use a lot of brake clean myself and q-tips for getting into those hard to reach places.....plus all the parts were in the parts washer and use compresssed air to blow dry them off...actually that is the first step of assembly...I like the permtex super slick assembly lube on the cam, push rods, & rocker arms too..
I'm sure your right, it was just meant as an FYI . I've seen people do some crazy things, so just thought I would throw it out there, couldn't hurt right...

Dan
Old 07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanZ28
I'm sure your right, it was just meant as an FYI . I've seen people do some crazy things, so just thought I would throw it out there, couldn't hurt right...

Dan

Sure enough.. ..sometimes I forget that there are a lot of folks that have limited shop knowledge when doing these mods..