Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to swap out heads, questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I ask why you just don't drain the coolant out of the block using the drain plugs?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did this method, sucked the coolant right out of the block/heads with my big *** RIGID shop vac. It worked perfect... ZERO coolant when I pulled the heads.

Blew out the bolt holes with my air compressor w/ a straw attached. (got a handy little nozzel at Harbor Freight)

I sprayed a small squirt of carb cleaner in 'em, ran a trimmed bottle brush down them (tried the grooved bolt but got NOTHING).

Then I used a straw with a piece of papar rolled up inside of it (like a big Q-tip) to soak up any carb cleaner and grime, until it came out dry.

Blew 'em out one last time (from the bottom) and installed my ARP studs.

The bolt holes were never even really dirty!!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1mn6_3
Can I ask why you just don't drain the coolant out of the block using the drain plugs?
Yes you can. It makes a huge mess and they are a pain in the *** to get out. This way is much easyer and cleaner.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Firehawk853
You take one of the old head bolts and grind flat two sides of the bolt. Take the bolt and screw it back into each of the bolt holes in the block. Do this about three times for each hole. As you do this you'll see that the bolt will pick up all the gunk that was in the threads. Its the same idea as a thread tap, just you won't be cutting material away, you'll be cleaning it out.
Chuck you could also use the ARP LS1 thread chase tap that I have in my toolbox.

Chuck is right on, if you don't do this a lot and you can't justify the $40 tap then a bolt cut correctly will work just fine