Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question cam install

How long is it taking you guys to swap cams, springs, and pushrods?

Just curious since I am doing mine soon.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it totally by myself in my garage when it was 15 degrees outside this past winter. It was my first time and it probably took about 12 hours total spread out over 4-5 days in the evenings. I could probably do it in half the time now...with extra hands it wouldn't take near as long either.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have to ask, expect it to take at least a full weekend. Don't try and rush it either that's when bad things happen.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

I'm doing mine in 2 weeks, and I'm planning on 2 full days. And that's with someone helping the entire time who's done a swap by themself before. It shouldn't take nearly that long, but better to plan for more time than needed.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
if you have to ask, expect it to take at least a full weekend. Don't try and rush it either that's when bad things happen.
The reason i was curious is because I don't know how much trouble those back springs are... I have the tool but have never done an LS1 swap before...
Every motor I have worked on before was a carb engine.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

The number 8 springs are probably the most difficult to get done. I spent about two hours on them, I could not get the damn spring to compress down without hitting the valve stem. Even with a mirror it really really sucked. Other than that, getting the radiator on and off is the only other real PITA. Overall I spent about 24 hours of my time, it was my first time and most of the work I did alone.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

OK so I am thinking it will take me a full day.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Launching!

I would say at least a long full day. It took me and some friends a whole weekend to do mine...........but there was beer involved.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy did my car by himself and it took him about 12 hours spread over 2 days. At the end of day one he had the car back together and the valve springs on the driver side completed. The rest of the work took another 4 hours.

This included the cam swap, new oil pump, and a new pulley and timing chain as well.

Manny
Old 07-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Launching!

I just did a motor swap and judging by how long it took to put all the accessorys back on I would figure about 10 hours total time. So I would figure the whole weekend, and thats taking your time and double checking stuff, and stopping for a beer now and then.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Well, it will be my old man and I doing it and we dont take breaks for beer....hardly even take breaks for food and start at 7 in the morning usually too
Old 07-27-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spread it over 3 nights...dont rush it...take a few hours a day to work on it. Make sure you find all the tips you can about the install before you tackle the project, it will save you time and any problems. www.ls1howto.com has an excellent write up on a cam install.

Also, you can fab up your own spring compressor with a chunk of 3/16" steel scrap. Do a search for 'larry tool' and make it look similar to that. With that tool I had the stock springs off, and dual springs on in about 2 hours. #8 is cake with this tool.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I printed that off and it was a good read. Very detailed.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did a cam swap 2 weeks ago...It was my first time.
All springs took me 3 hrs to swap. I used Tim's tool (similar to Larry's tool)
Where in NW chicago do you live ?

P.S Here's my little post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/355113-f10-cam-lots-pics.html
Old 07-28-2005, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

I live in Hanover Park but will be doing teh swap on the southside at my old mans place..I dont have a big enough garage
Old 07-28-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

A friend and I did a cam/springs/pushrods swap in his 1LE in 6 hours spread over 3 days (after work). It was the first LS1 cam install either of us had done. We did it in 3 days because we hit a block the first 2 days. Day 1 we got as far as putting the water pump back on but the gasket (98) wouldn't come off. I brought some Permatex gasket remover over the next day and we carried on. Day 2 came to halt because we snapped off an intake bolt. You don't need to remove the intake but we did and the instructions we were following listed torque specs in lbs-ft, not lbs-in. I knew it wasn't right but I followed it anyway. Luckily I had the foresight to try the easiest one to remove first. Right about the time I said, "This isn't right, it's going to brea-" SNAP!, the intake bolt sheared in two. That's the last time I'll trust "instructions" over my own judgement. But we buttoned it up except for one intake bolt that night. Came back the next day with a new bolt, put it in and fired her up. We spent about 2.5 hours per night the first two nights and only about an hour the last night finishing the intake and loose ends and breaking in the springs.

Things I think you should know as a first time LS1 cam-swapper:
1. You don't have to remove the intake.
2. Use pen magnets or the dowel tool to prevent the lifters from dropping.
3. A little engine oil, a big socket, a big hammer and the old bolt are all you need to reinstall the harmonic balancer. DON'T BEAT ON IT. The big hammer is just for momentum. Gently tap the pulley onto the pre-oiled crank snout until it's far enough that the original crank bolt will bite with several thread. Then gently pull it down.
4. Gasket remover is your best friend on LS1's with water pump gaskets.
5. The self contained screw spring compressor works the best in my opinion. It may be a tight fit with the back ones, but the positive lock is worth it IMO.
6. Be as gentle and deliberate as possible. This will keep you from dropping a lifter, sending a spring through your hood or launching a retainer into the oblivion that is your garage never to be seen again.

Those are just precautions. Common sense will carry you through 99% of it. Don't be scared of it. It's very simple. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SgtB
I live in Hanover Park but will be doing teh swap on the southside at my old mans place..I dont have a big enough garage
pft....

I have a single car garage, and just pulled the motor Sunday.

The original cam swap took about a total of 13 hours for me/us. Didn't have the best spring compressor, and with the dual springs, that was the longest part.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtB
How long is it taking you guys to swap cams, springs, and pushrods?

Just curious since I am doing mine soon.

Thanks
With three of us it took 6 hours. That was counting the fact that both my friends have done MULTIPLE cam installs. So, 18 hours for a 1st time isn't out of the ordinary.

Changing springs is a bit of a pain. For the love of God... I highly recommend AGAINST using the MORE Performance valvespring tool. It took 4 hours to change 4 springs with that POS. The Larry tool was then used...and it took less than 2 hours for the rest

Also, if using the JPR rods, be prepared for them to not work. Some blocks have casting flange, and some 02 models have a slightly revised lifter design. Both of the above will hinder installing the JPR rods. In my case, the passanger rod went in, but then the cam wouldn't come out. Ended out using pen magnets. And what an experience that was Some of the lifters were tapping on the cam during removal....even with the magnets holding everything up and out of the way (supposedly). Scary!!

Best advice...take your time, grab knowledgeable friends if available, and you should be golden.

Good luck

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 07-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Teching In

my first one took me about 9 hrs.
one thing that saved my *** was the crane cam spring compressor. and i made my own tool to keep the lifters up.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Took about 10 hours, first time.

Used the 'Larry tool' for the valve springs, worked like charm.
And dowel rods to hold up the lifters.