Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Shortblock rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Shortblock rebuild

So found out the rings are toast, burning oil. Top end of the motor looks fine. Basically wanted the cheapest and fastest way to replace the rings. No no2 or F.I. will be going on the motor. Used mostly for track days, lapping, so I was curious what the cheapest way would be. I also dont want to assemble the shortblock myself, I'm find with pulling the heads and stuff. Can I just take the block to a local machine shop and get it honed for stock pistons and use some super nice rings?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just my $.02 But get some new bearings (rod,crank,cam) while your in there there not that much money. The hone will do the job if the cylinders aren't scratched.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

anyone else?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on it? What type of rings are they?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive seen forged motors go for as cheap as 2500. Thats not a bad price, and even though you said it would never see a power adder, I would also go forged for the higher RPM capability.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

we could help you with a forged bottom end. we have one that can ship by wednesday if you are interested.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO if your going to go as far as this, save up a little more money and do it right. get it honed or bored if needed, replace the bearings and pistons (if needed), get everything checked/magnafluxed/cleaned and if your planning on any power in the future take that into account and get the stuff done now. Your short block is not the place to skimp.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by magius231
IMO if your going to go as far as this, save up a little more money and do it right. get it honed or bored if needed, replace the bearings and pistons (if needed), get everything checked/magnafluxed/cleaned and if your planning on any power in the future take that into account and get the stuff done now. Your short block is not the place to skimp.
I agree, I'm not going to write off stuff if it needs replacing, in fact I wonder if there's a "while I'm at it list" The bottom end bearings are a given. Ported oil pump? Timing chain? Which rings are the best?

I will get a hone, and hopefully that's all it will need along with some rings. What about ARP rod or bottom end bolts that are stronger for rpms?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

The "list" is just going to get you in trouble. You could do the following for "reliability"...

Two piece timing cover
Billet main caps
Katech rods bolts
QTP oil pump
Engine and tranny cooling...cuz the tranny is coming out too right??
New lifters, or step up to Jesel/Morel
Update the PCV
Crankcase vacuum pump

....you don't even want to start doing stuff to the heads...you know, to improve "reliability".
Old 08-14-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

i had a pretty budget rebuild. i had a bad ring and had to take mine out. changed all the bearings, and rod bolts. i left the stock rods cause i didnt have the extra cash to put down on a budget motor that wasnt gonna see fi or anything. i got new forged/reliefed pistons cause the problem was actually one of my pistons. my engine is so quiet compared to the stock pistons now its amazing. in the end the engine guy charged me about 1500 i think to hone the block, clean everything up, put it all back together. that was parts and labor. i did go with a different head/cam as long as i had the engine out. other than the engine stuff i didnt change anything else. maybe i like living on the edge i bought a built trans at the same time so i didnt have the extra cash to put into a motor. otherwise i would have gone with a built 402 by one of the sponsors
Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm so anything else I should be looking at? New stock GM lifters or does it matter?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

What kind of pistons are decent? Should I bother replacing the lifters?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into with the "while I'm at it list"... been there, done that.... and doing it all over again as well. Good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the while I'm at it list ends up being a forged 427 high compression solid roller TH400 backed race motor by the time you get done with it...how many people have fallen into that trap i wonder
Old 08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nytoy
What kind of pistons are decent? Should I bother replacing the lifters?
Diamond's and Wiseco's are both very good depending on the application. While you're at it you might as well go ahead and replace the lifters with Comp OE replacements, or the Comp R's if you're feeling ballsy. Some have had good results and some have had bad, up to you.