Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news on heads/cam swap, but there is hope

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005 | 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unhappy Bad news on heads/cam swap, but there is hope

Well, in an earlier post I commented on some cyliner wall scuffs I found after removing the heads on my car. The scuffs are large/deep enough to make me nervous, and I am almost positive I will be losing power and/or burning oil before long, if not already.

So, instead of putting my nice TEA heads on I am just going to put the stock ones back on and be a cam-only car for the rest of the year. I don't have the budget for a new short block at this time, but I don't want my car up on jacks the rest of the year.

The good news: since I now need a new shortblock I will either be going for a turbo 346 or a NA 402 . Wish I could just dive into that right now, but the budget won't allow this to happen until next year.

I am leaning towards the turbo 346 with the upcoming high flow turbo system, if thing look good with it.
Old 08-22-2005 | 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

A turbo car would cost ALOT more then a non turbo. Unless you go ultra budget on teh engine. Get it bored over to the next size adn get just rods and pistons. Then you mmgiht be able to get closer to teh cost of the NA 402. Turbo kits are expensive as ****. But well worth it. GL

John
Old 08-22-2005 | 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bowtieman.... you should hook up with Mullvain Motorsports in Peoria.... really smart guy. He built my cousins dirtrack motor that turned 10k rpms every weekend.