Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else w/HC swap on 85K-mile LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What else w/HC swap on 85K-mile LS1?

I'm getting ready to swap heads and cam on my 2000 LS1: Patriot stage II LS6 & F13 cam. It's got 85K miles on it, but it pulls really strong all the way to 6K, and seems to have great compression. I am already planning to replace the oil pump, timing chain, and water pump. I'm ording the heads assembled, so everything from the head gaskets up will be new, except the intake. What else should I do while I have the heads off??? I supppose I should do a compression check before & after the head swap... Should I replace the stock lifters? Should the intake be replaced now, and how much would be to have the ports matched? I'm not sure I can afford the intake at the same time I'm swapping the heads & cam. Does it matter if I delay the intake swap 'til later? I'm hoping for 425 rwhp at least, and et's in the mid 12's. You can see in my sig the bolt-ons and current dyno results... Am I setting my sights too high?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would replace the lifters, and if you can afford it, do the intake mainifold at the same time so you don't have to take it off twice.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do a compression test on the engine before you tear it down just to know what it is.

If you want to port match you pretty much need to do the intake with your heads/cam. And I agree lifters is a good idea, the comp 850 is what I used.