Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Bearing Explanation Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Engine Bearing Explanation Needed...

I have been looking at engine bearings and am wondering which ones I want. I am putting together a rotating assembly which will use an Eagle 4" crank and probably Eagle rods. The main and rod bearings I'm seeing from Federal Mogul have like +1, +10, +1X, +9, and standard chamfer? First off, what does this mean? Secondly, how do I know which one is wanted, or does it matter? Also, are Federal Mogul cam bearings any good? Thanks for the help!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just ask a sponsor if I were you. However, I think I'd like to know as well, just for information's sake.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I have been looking at engine bearings and am wondering which ones I want. I am putting together a rotating assembly which will use an Eagle 4" crank and probably Eagle rods. The main and rod bearings I'm seeing from Federal Mogul have like +1, +10, +1X, +9, and standard chamfer? First off, what does this mean? Secondly, how do I know which one is wanted, or does it matter? Also, are Federal Mogul cam bearings any good? Thanks for the help!

the number probably is an undersize or oversize bearing - in case you get your crank turned or your rods resized and need a different bearing (larger or smaller) to go with them.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:12 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1's and X's are used to provide less/more clearance when using the stock journal size for the application.

The 9's and 10's are used to provide less/more clearance when using a journal that has been turned .010.

If you're using new parts you will end up using STD's, 1's, and X's to achieve the main/rod bearing clearance that you want.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

So is this a hit and miss situation? Should I just get standards and hope for the best?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

So is this a hit and miss situation? Should I just get standards and hope for the best?
Wow. If you're building this engine yourself, I'm starting a bet-board on how long until the "Why's my new engine knocking" post.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferocity02, pay no attention to the board-polution. You have to learn somehow. However, you should pick up a couple of books on blueprinting an engine. Maybe get some local help. You will need some accurate measuring tools (to the 0.001") to make the right selection for your bearings. Don't attempt it without some reading first, or some local help.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not building it myself... but I'm assuming the engine builder would like to have the right bearings...

So again, should I just get the standards and hope the clearences work out?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

well if you are having someone rebuild it, he should know which bearings to get. sorry if it sounds wise-***, but it's true!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am buying the parts then he is balancing, assembling, clearencing.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

I am buying the parts then he is balancing, assembling, clearencing.
you answered your own question - he is doing the clearancing, so he needs to whip out the micrometer/dial bore gauge, do the measurements, and order the right bearings!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I meant that I was buying the bearings also. So I guess I won't buy the bearings then. Thanks.

So complete rolling assemblies are already clearenced and come with the correct bearings?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

I meant that I was buying the bearings also. So I guess I won't buy the bearings then. Thanks.

So complete rolling assemblies are already clearenced and come with the correct bearings?
OK, sounds like you're on a good path here...assuming the guy doing the building has experience with the gen-3 (LS1, etc.) engine. Ask him how many gen-3 engines he's built. If he hasn't done any, shop for another builder. The gen-3 has some new twists in the assembly process that your average builder doesn't know, like torque to yield bolts and oil passage plugs in places the older SBCs didn't have them.