Sponsored by:

Brand new block down the drain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
I dont see how thats possible

What's difficult to understand? Some valves will be open, rings don't seal 100%, PCV system is open, etc. I guarantee, if the motor is under water for even a few hours, it WILL be totally full.

99Freeze: glad to hear you and the family are OK. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the motor going again, that's no biggie. Hell, we sank a gas golf cart last weekend and had it running fine again the next day. It's all the other electrical things I'd be worried about.

I'm glad I live up in the midwest where all we have is tornado's!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First: Gald youre okay.

Now on to your car. At a bare minimum, try the following. Your wiring may be hosed, but try this stuff first. First, pull your lid, maf, TB, coil packs and any other easily removable accessory and dry them all out as best as you can. Next pull all your plugs out. Next change oil. Crank engine without coilpacks and plugs a few times to get the water out. Reassemble engine. Hope for the best.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear man, but if the cars completely submerged all the electronics and wiring on it are toast...
Old 09-01-2005, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
What's difficult to understand? Some valves will be open, rings don't seal 100%, PCV system is open, etc. I guarantee, if the motor is under water for even a few hours, it WILL be totally full.
what i meant was....of course it is possible that an intake valve or an exhaust valve will be open...it's actually 100% possible....doyee!!!

Old 09-01-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you and the fam are safe. Sorry to hear about the home and car.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you and the family are safe. We resurrect 6.0 liter marine engines many times sucessfully when they are neglected. Had one last week that sat upside down for a week in fresh water, drained out 6 gallons of water from block with couple qts. of oil, water in gear and v-drive, throttle body and coil packs. Pulled plugs, replaced starter, battery, dried ignition system and cleaned and lubed every connection with di-electric. New oils and filters, fired up and got heat into the sytem drained all fluids again and again, now she runs fine
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you can salvage the block. If you look on Hawks Third Gen site he has the Z28 that was a flood victim. The car was bought totaled and completely redone. I don't know for sure if he kept the engine or replaced it, but it is something to look into.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my dad got some salt water into his small block in his boat once...when I got there I took the plugs out and cranked it a few times to blow the cylinders out, then with a squirt can I sprayed some tranny fluid right into the chambers through the plug holes and cranked it a few more times...changed the oil, put plugs in, it fired right up...then it blew some smoke (tranny fluid burning off), when the smoke stopped I changed the oil, and it's been fine ever since...didn't seem to hurt the rings...the key is to get to it before it dries back out and the cylinder walls sit unoiled

but if it's as much water as I think it is...the interior is gonna be ruined, and the car will never ever be the same no matter how much work you put into it...I'd say do your best to get insurance money, pull the motor, tear it down and that way you can check everything and know everything is fine, give it a hone and bearings and rings...use the insurance money to pickup another car just like the old one, and drop the motor in.

a good friend of mine just got called in to active duty to go to new orleans, he's a national guard medic...I guess it's pretty rough down there, I'm glad you and your family are ok
Old 09-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Again, thankfully your family's ok. Good luck getting any insurance settlement in the foreseeable future. With the total devastation down there, can you imagine what processing claims will be like?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6

99Freeze: glad to hear you and the family are OK. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the motor going again, that's no biggie. Hell, we sank a gas golf cart last weekend and had it running fine again the next day. It's all the other electrical things I'd be worried about.

I'm glad I live up in the midwest where all we have is tornado's!
Sarcasm
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Im gonna say its not worth it you got the most important stuff out.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

I am glad your family is ok. Having gone through three hurricanes last year was bad, but we didn't have the same type of devastation and destruction in the Orlando area. Don't worry about the car right now. Appreciate your family and your life. It was a scary thing riding those hurricanes out last year. My son was terrified, all the trees and debris bouncing off the house and roof. I can't even imagine the terror and horror that some people went through. We didn't have a storm surge here, but we had plenty of water. There are still houses in our area that are not fully repaired. It is going to be a long, long time before New Orleans is back to any kind of normalcy. Give your family a hug and worry about the car when you are able to return to your home. Joe