Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the whole "666 sick and twisted thing" is just my convaluted re-wording of GM's less aggressive sounding "performance package." I had all intensions of turning my car into a beast, but i think my car is gonna be turned into a cavalier at the end of this month.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad0211secws6
yeah why put a better part in? that way next time you over rev during a mis-shift you can bend another factory straw!

You need to stick with the stock pushrods when the rest of your valvetrain, especially the springs, is stock.
IF you are lucky enough to have just a bent pushrod from an over-rev condition, consider yourself lucky. Because what has happened is when you over-rev'd the engine, the stock valvesprings let the valves "float" this is a condition where the valves are moving so fast the weak factory springs can't seat the valves back down in time - the valve contacts the top of the piston- then the piston forcing the valve back down bends a pushrod. But in this case, as I said you are lucky, because all you have to do is replace an inexpensive factory pushrod or rods.
Now, you replace those weak factory pushrods with some good strong aftermarket ones, and guess what? Next time mr. piston contacts mr. valve, the pusrods does mot give, because you replaced it with a stronger one. So what DOES give? A valve !! Now you have a VERY expensive problem -bent valves, damaged pistons, etc.
The factory rev. limiter is there because GM knew the soft springs could not handle the higher revs. So they tried to engineer in some idiot-proofing.
Point of the story is: you upgrade from stock pushrods, you MUST upgrade the springs as well. That is why, it was recommended by calongo_SS to replace the factory "straws" with more factory "straws" - bent pushrods much cheaper than engine rebuild!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dummer

You need to stick with the stock pushrods when the rest of your valvetrain, especially the springs, is stock.
IF you are lucky enough to have just a bent pushrod from an over-rev condition, consider yourself lucky. Because what has happened is when you over-rev'd the engine, the stock valvesprings let the valves "float" this is a condition where the valves are moving so fast the weak factory springs can't seat the valves back down in time - the valve contacts the top of the piston- then the piston forcing the valve back down bends a pushrod. But in this case, as I said you are lucky, because all you have to do is replace an inexpensive factory pushrod or rods.
Now, you replace those weak factory pushrods with some good strong aftermarket ones, and guess what? Next time mr. piston contacts mr. valve, the pusrods does mot give, because you replaced it with a stronger one. So what DOES give? A valve !! Now you have a VERY expensive problem -bent valves, damaged pistons, etc.
The factory rev. limiter is there because GM knew the soft springs could not handle the higher revs. So they tried to engineer in some idiot-proofing.
Point of the story is: you upgrade from stock pushrods, you MUST upgrade the springs as well. That is why, it was recommended by calongo_SS to replace the factory "straws" with more factory "straws" - bent pushrods much cheaper than engine rebuild!!!
i replaced a customers factory pushrod's twice while it was under warranty,
at the dealership.i talked him into hardened comp pushrods and he has not had an incident since. he has taken it to us for several oil changes since than and has recomended them also to his friends.this however is just my opinion
take it for what its worth.there is obviously others with a different opinion
and that is there perogative after all this is america
Old 09-05-2005, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he hasn't missed a shift since the hardened p-rods went in. You're right, it is a difference of opinion, but I think my opinion is right.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Banned

where can i get stock pushrods OVERNIGHTED to me?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't get them at a local dealership, try www.gmpartsdirect.com
Old 09-06-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking about this thread the other day and I'm just gonna have to bring it back...

If you reved your engine high enough to get the stock tack to read 7k there is no telling what your engine was really at. If I free rev my engine it hits the 6200 rev limiter while the tack is still reading 4k, thats how slow our tacks are. So if yours was reading 7k your engine could have easily been around 9-10k rpm, ouch!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

location? post in regional area and maybe a local can help out
Old 09-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by connecticut
location? post in regional area and maybe a local can help out
I'm good-a fellow club member has them, plus i ordered some from SUMMIT, so which ever set gets to me first gets installed.

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
I was thinking about this thread the other day and I'm just gonna have to bring it back...

If you reved your engine high enough to get the stock tack to read 7k there is no telling what your engine was really at. If I free rev my engine it hits the 6200 rev limiter while the tack is still reading 4k, thats how slow our tacks are. So if yours was reading 7k your engine could have easily been around 9-10k rpm, ouch!
wow, that's scarry to think. why do they go so freakin' slow anyway?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way a stock LS1 would rev to 10,000rpm without the bottom end giving out. If your motor is nearly stock the tach will be close to right. My rev limiter is 6600 and it hits it when the tach says about 6200. Do yourself a favor a put the rev limiter back on. Set to 6200rpm to be safe.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet it will do it a few times. Why don't you take off your rev limiter and see. hehe
Old 09-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

OK HERE'S THE UPDATE!!!!

so my buddy an i crackopen the valve cover on the passenger side to see that rocker #2 is EXTREMELY loose. So we inspect the pushrod; it's fine. Inspect the rocker; it's fine...oh ****...gotta keep digging-it was a broken LIFTER! it took us like 6 hours of unscrewing, unbolting and digging....we had to take off the manifold covers, the intake and the headders to finally reveal a single broken lifter. It sucked that we had to do all that but it was better than being charged 700+ in time/parts to have the pros do it.

i've learned a lot about this engine just in doing all of this...holy cow, i can't wait to sell this car.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
OK HERE'S THE UPDATE!!!!

so my buddy an i crackopen the valve cover on the passenger side to see that rocker #2 is EXTREMELY loose. So we inspect the pushrod; it's fine. Inspect the rocker; it's fine...oh ****...gotta keep digging-it was a broken LIFTER! it took us like 6 hours of unscrewing, unbolting and digging....we had to take off the manifold covers, the intake and the headders to finally reveal a single broken lifter. It sucked that we had to do all that but it was better than being charged 700+ in time/parts to have the pros do it.

i've learned a lot about this engine just in doing all of this...holy cow, i can't wait to sell this car.
yeah not to fun pullin off the head hopefully nothin else got hurt?
oh i found my stock pushrods you can have em for shipping costs if you want?
hmmmmmmmm i guess the lifter was the weak link this time not the "straw"
haha
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Launching!

why did you remove the rev limiter? Was raising it not enough?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

If you don't mind me asking, how did you figure out that that lifter was bad? Did you pull the heads off? If not then what method did you use to pull them out? Thanks,
Thomas
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tkami129
If you don't mind me asking, how did you figure out that that lifter was bad? Did you pull the heads off? If not then what method did you use to pull them out? Thanks,
Thomas
hope i'm not too late on answering this:

we found that one of the rockers "jiggled" more than the others...at first we figured "bad rocker" but just to test, we swapped the "bad one" with a "good one" and ..... the "good one" jiggled as much....that's when we realized it was a collapsed lifter...about 5 hours of diggin' we found that the one lifter had collapsed about 2mm and wasn't holding any oil.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, stupid question, to get the lifter out, you took the cylinder head off, right?, and when you mean rockers "jiggled", is that up and down or just side to side? Thanks and sorry for the dumb post
Old 09-11-2005, 03:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll ???? the "jiggling" stuff myself. BTW I have a set of 875-16 Comp lifters for sale...lol, they'll go great in there!!!

Since you plan on selling the car put stock back in it but FYI the ecotech 2.2l ain't much better itself...just a quick heads up, they all work pretty much the same way and all need the same things to run, air, fuel, spark, and timing...that's all. It's not rocket science, unless you make it, it's not difficult, unless you make, an artist CAN do it, and as a matter of fact anyone can. My girl can do it, and she's BLONDE!!! LOL J/K. All you need are time, tools, a computer, and some basic common sense. Leave the rest up to "us" on the board who have went through it before, to those who work at dealerships, to tose who have had many many lsx based cars, and to those who help anyone out for free or just for the love of helping out someone else who wants to outrun a mustang every now and then on the street. Financial aid is another thing though, if you've got the money, someone here has the time to help you out. I have asked and recieved many of times, not saying I am an expert by any means but I know a little about valvetrains, enough to gte me by and into 7800 RPM revs, with a load of course, with out damaging my motor or anything yet...never think you cant do something for yourself until you at least try!!! Just my opinion!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tkami129
Sorry, stupid question, to get the lifter out, you took the cylinder head off, right?, and when you mean rockers "jiggled", is that up and down or just side to side? Thanks and sorry for the dumb post
once again, sorry for the late posting:

"giggling" = more like up/down-b/c your broken lifter or bent rod will allow the one end to sink more than it should. It's so easy to notice man, they all have a bit of play, but the one that is your "problem-spot" is gonna chatter A LOT.

I actually wrote up a whole tear down on LS1.com if you'd like me to post it?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea sure, lets see it, I would like to see some others do it myself. Thanks in advance.