Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally ordered my 408 Shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice, I'm very happy with my dealings with HPE. I've sold a few people on their motors, and am fixing to order one for a friend in a few days..
Old 09-07-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Holy **** man, you're droppin a hell of a lot of money on this setup

Nice choice on the shortblock from HPE though... I ordered mine two weeks ago Sadly, I could barely even afford the shorblock, let alone complementing mods such as the ones you listed
Glad to hear you got it ordered, let me know when you post up #s...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Nice choice on the shortblock from HPE though... I ordered mine two weeks ago Sadly, I could barely even afford the shorblock, let alone complementing mods such as the ones you listed
LOL you sound liek me. i had well a valve srping break and caused damage to my stock motor. so i went with an HPE forged 383 and i had $ issues myself so i had to stick my tiny 224cam and stock LS1 heads on teh car. Then low and behold as soon as i put the ne wmotor in teh tranny took a crap lol (it wa steh stock trans with 112k mile son it) so luckily i found a hell of a deal on a built trans. BTW what is ur shortblock i asume its a 408 sence thas what we are talking about just checking though. Oh and big thanks to the guys over at HPE you will see my buisness soon for H/C to go with my new set up
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I believe he went with a 408 aswell. He was on a 6l shortblock, but a piece of something was stuckin his intake, and ended up dislodging and scoring his cylinder wall.... something like that.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brandon
I believe he went with a 408 aswell. He was on a 6l shortblock, but a piece of something was stuckin his intake, and ended up dislodging and scoring his cylinder wall.... something like that.
damn that sucks but at least a better motor comes fom what breaks
Old 09-07-2005, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

yes this is chase, who is this? lol

as for 50rwhp difference from automatic to manual comment reread my post, i said with a M6 AND some better flowing heads.

at least thats what i think i wrote hehe i could be misunderstanding my own logic
Old 09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
yes this is chase, who is this? lol

as for 50rwhp difference from automatic to manual comment reread my post, i said with a M6 AND some better flowing heads.

at least thats what i think i wrote hehe i could be misunderstanding my own logic

This is Elie at HPE!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ta_silver_bullet
damn that sucks but at least a better motor comes fom what breaks
Yep, Brandon pretty much got the gist of it. The WHOLE story is i installed a TR224 in my stock motor off a couple teeth and broke a valve off into a piston, scored a wall. Bought a 6.0 forged shortblock bored .060 over. Only got dyno time on the engine before engine started blowing smoke. Turns out a piece of a valve from my original engine got stuck in the damn intake manifold unbeknownst to anyone and came out into the new engine and screwed it up. Therefore, I got so damn tired of **** happening that I just bit the bullet and fronted even more money for a brand new shortblock from HPE. But, from everything I hear, there shouldn't be any more worries in my near future So, you're not quite as bad off as I was, but good things do tend to come out of breaking stuff, although sometimes at a price you're not prepared for
Old 09-07-2005, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

dude that is EXACTLY what happened to me! i broke a spring, snapped the valve in half, jumped it around inside and SHATTERED.. i mean SHATTERED my piston.. there wsa NOTHING left of it. once the piston was gone the rod decided it would try and find a new home by going straight through my cylinder wall. NOT a fun experience

and elie good to know your on here! that way i dont have to call long distance every time, i can just send ya a PM on here.

im very very very excited for this engine!! you guys have no idea how bad it sucks to be 19 years old, pay all your own bills, buy a new car, and have it blow up 30 days after you buy it. now im stuck with the payment and full coverage insurance with a not so great driving record... thank god i live with my parents! hehe

ill keep ya guys updated on the setup and the build and ill for sure let you know the nubmers when i finally get it together!!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

I am very pleased with the work over at HPE here are a couple of pics of my motor. i wish i took some before i put the oil pan and timming cover on but i have these. luckily my block was ok so that saved me a lil money in that aspect(also it is why its so dirty on teh outside lol)

engine on the table after i got it back from HPE

engine being installed

everything installed(excuse teh rust damn salt water at the beach)

Note: i did the instalation myself just to let yall know

Last edited by ta_silver_bullet; 09-07-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

man that looks nice! i cant wait!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Best of luck hitting your power goals.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ta_silver_bullet
I am very pleased with the work over at HPE here are a couple of pics of my motor. i wish i took some before i put the oil pan and timming cover on but i have these. luckily my block was ok so that saved me a lil money in that aspect(also it is why its so dirty on teh outside lol)

engine on the table after i got it back from HPE

engine being installed

everything installed(excuse teh rust damn salt water at the beach)

Note: i did the instalation myself just to let yall know
I can't wait.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

I can't wait.

lol i cant wait till i get real power with the new heads and cam not saying it dosnt move as it is now its NICE
Old 09-07-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lucky, I barely had enough money left to buy this shortblock, let alone the new injectors, fuel pump, intake, oil pump that i still need since I can't use any of those from the last engine
Old 09-07-2005, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Lucky, I barely had enough money left to buy this shortblock, let alone the new injectors, fuel pump, intake, oil pump that i still need since I can't use any of those from the last engine
well i know what im going to buy and hopefully this job im going to interview for tomarrow goes well and i will be able to get my H/C. i luckley allreday had injectors, intake and all teh others goodies i installed when i did the 224cam. so really what i need now is H/C prolly go with soem kooks long tubes sence i have macs now and maybe a FAST 90mm intake and nick west 90mm tb
Old 09-08-2005, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

well you guys will probably get yours before me so be sure to fill me in on how you like it!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
you guys have no idea how bad it sucks to be 19 years old, pay all your own bills, buy a new car, and have it blow up 30 days after you buy it.
when I was 19 I weas driving a POS 1982 Chevy Celebrity and working at Pizza Hut. I wouldn't say you have it THAT bad
Old 09-08-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

PM me, I'll set you up with some links for various parts... (and I have a few sittin here aswell)
Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

All you guys whining about waiting for your 408's.....must be nice! I'm anxious to get my cam installed, lol.

Bitches. Enjoy the power