Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of replacing cam, need thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of replacing cam, need thoughts...

Check out my sig. I'm thinking of replacing the XER cam for a cam with less agressive lobes. The setup that looks good to me is the Vinci "The Beast" cam (really a Crane cam):

DUR @ .004" 290*/ 294*
DUR @ .050" 228*/ 232*
LIFT .551 / .551
OVERLAP 68*
LSA 112*

With a set of the Crane Gold-Race rockers at a 1.8 ratio.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have this cam installed? How about the .600 lift version?

2) I don't race, but don't need "daily driver" driveability. Will this cam drive ok?

3) Do you think my 3.42 gears are too small for a cam of this size and RPM range?

Any other comments are welcome. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So, let me get this straight. You want less agressive lobes and then you put 1.8 rockers on???
What is the dif??? did you think about that?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
So, let me get this straight. You want less agressive lobes and then you put 1.8 rockers on???
What is the dif??? did you think about that?
The XER lobes are causing too much valvetrain noise. I'm not trying to decrease lift, I'm trying too decrease the ramp-up rate of the cam.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Boss II in a box right now waiting to go in with the rockers, etc. Haven't installed it yet. I am looking for a good street cam with extra power for 6th gear highway cruising, not a 1/4 mile cam though.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Byter
The XER lobes are causing too much valvetrain noise. I'm not trying to decrease lift, I'm trying too decrease the ramp-up rate of the cam.
Then just slap some 1.7 Crane rockers on. That will quiet them down a bit and you'll benefit from more power below the curve and a few more at peak.
That 224/228 is one of the best Comp cams.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Then just slap some 1.7 Crane rockers on. That will quiet them down a bit and you'll benefit from more power below the curve and a few more at peak.
I agree that its a great cam. I love the way it drives. What I don't like is the "sewing machine" noise. I have replaced the lifters, pushrods (and experimented with different lengths), rockers, and the shortblock. My noise is not a defective part. While the Crane rockers might quiet it down a bit, I believe the noise is caused by the extreme ramp of the XER lobe, which, in turn, either causes lifter deflection and/or valve noise since they are closing faster.

I've experimented with everything else, now I'm ready to experiment with cam selection. For a moment, let's take the 1.8 rockers out of the equation.

1. Does anyone agree with me that the less aggressive Crane lobe will cut down on the noise?

2. Will going to a 228/232 with .551 lift, 112 LSA (110 ICL) affect the drivability and power range that much from the 224/228 with .581 lift, 114 LSA (113 ICL)? And yes, I know in theory that the bigger cam will push the powerband up the RPM range. I'm looking for real world experience in how much.

3. How will increasing the lift from .551 to .583 (for the 228/232, by using the 1.8 rockers) change powerband just for that cam?

Thanks!

Last edited by Byter; 09-10-2005 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added more to #2
Old 09-10-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cam is going to rock the car bigtime! 112lsa is gonna be very aggressive....I had the GM hotcam in my 96, and that was only .525 lift.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

I put the crane 1.8's on my stock cam and it was definitely much noisier. They don't quiet anything down. That's from experience.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eamador11
That cam is going to rock the car bigtime! 112lsa is gonna be very aggressive....I had the GM hotcam in my 96, and that was only .525 lift.
Rock as in powerful or Rock as in shake?

Can anyone chime in? How about a cam close to this Crane?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing not mentioned in your signature is the springs you are running. I know the Comp 918's are good springs, but there is also discussion on the Crane site (each advertiser will obviously have their points they will try to get across) that the beehive design is noisier than a standard dual spring design. Any thoughts to going to the Crane springs as well as their rockers?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
One thing not mentioned in your signature is the springs you are running. I know the Comp 918's are good springs, but there is also discussion on the Crane site (each advertiser will obviously have their points they will try to get across) that the beehive design is noisier than a standard dual spring design. Any thoughts to going to the Crane springs as well as their rockers?
I'm using the upgraded dual springs that come with the AFR's (PP golds, I think). They're good up to .650 lift.

I know I keep coming up with questions, but here is a central one. Does the Crane cam mentioned above have a less-aggressive ramp up rate than the XER? It's hard to tell because Crane states their adv. duration numbers at .004 while Comp states theirs at .006.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
I put the crane 1.8's on my stock cam and it was definitely much noisier. They don't quiet anything down. That's from experience.
No one is really concerned over whether they're quieter than a stock cam with stock valve springs, and stock rockers.

However, if you have an already loud valvetrain with aftermarket cam and valve springs, the Crane roller rockers will quiet things down. That's from revelant experience.

Last edited by XTrooper; 09-11-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

I believe that Crane cam, with its longer duration and tighter LSA, is a definite step up from your present cam, irrespective of the less aggressive lobes. Its less aggressive lobes could actually be considered a plus as they'll be easier on your valvetrain and quieter while at the same time the cam is providing more power.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

This is another good option and one that would save you money and effort.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XTrooper
I believe that Crane cam, with its longer duration and tighter LSA, is a definite step up from your present cam, irrespective of the less aggressive lobes. Its less aggressive lobes could actually be considered a plus as they'll be easier on your valvetrain and quieter while at the same time the cam is providing more power.
I'm actually looking for a less aggressive lobe, both in lift and profile. I believe the steep profile of the XER is what is causing the noise. I'm trying to find a cam profile that's less aggressive, but still get the performance and lift that I have with my current cam. That's why I'm looking at the Crane .551 lift cams with the 1.8 rockers. I'm just trying to decide on whether to go with the 220/224 or the 228/232. The 1.8 rockers will bump the durations a degree or two on top of those.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XTrooper
This is another good option and one that would save you money and effort.
No way. There is no way I'm experimenting with another set of rockers. I've already tried 3 brands (including stock). I know there are benefits to the Crane rockers, but I'm only interested in them as part of the Crane cam package. I've been working on this problem for over a year. I strongly believe its the cam profile. I will go with a cam only experiment before going with another rocker/pushrod only experiment. ... But thanks for the suggestion ...
Old 09-11-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

The comment that 918's are noisier than duals is from my experience wrong (at least in my case).

When I put my PRC's with platinum duals, the valvetrain is noisier now than when I had my 918's. Preload is the same, .060
Old 09-12-2005, 04:43 AM
11 Second Club

No way. There is no way I'm experimenting with another set of rockers. I've already tried 3 brands (including stock). I know there are benefits to the Crane rockers, but I'm only interested in them as part of the Crane cam package. I've been working on this problem for over a year. I strongly believe its the cam profile. I will go with a cam only experiment before going with another rocker/pushrod only experiment. ... But thanks for the suggestion ...
That actually wouldn't be my first choice of action. I was just stating that it was a viable option if you wanted to save yourself some money.

I think you're on the right track with what you're considering.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think once you stick a cam in a car.. that's it man, there's no avoiding the sewing machine niose, I'd suggest that you get used to it. If you wanna make power, you are gonna have noises like valvetrain stuff..... deal with it, or go back to stock.

Ever hear a solid roller motor, ever hear the noises that makes? The noise that you have now is nothing.. I'm running pretty much the same cam you are, that's not even loud trust me. It is normal... they all do it.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
Did you follow the exact procedure for adjustment? Are you using stock springs? Unfortunately, if they are noiser than stock, you don't have them adjusted properly or something else is making noise. And I can confidently make that statement having a lot of experience with these rockers. We have great instructions on adjusting these rockers on our website. Joe.