Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO COMPRESSION....wtf?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bent all my valves using incorrect pushrod length. Long story. But it sounds like that is what your problem is Rob.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the thing though, the pushrods are stock length. I will be pulling the heads on Sat, and find out what is going on. I will definatly keep you all posted. I just want to drive my damn car Oh, and this time I am going to get some head studs......
Old 10-17-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
Here's the thing though, the pushrods are stock length. I will be pulling the heads on Sat, and find out what is going on. I will definatly keep you all posted. I just want to drive my damn car Oh, and this time I am going to get some head studs......
Hey, brother...Ive got some head studs if you want them. $110 shipped to you.

I also have a good set of heads if you want them. Just let me know.

Mike
Old 10-17-2005, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Just sent you a PM brother...I will call you tonight.....thanks

My stock heads are on the way though....thanks...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:01 AM
11 Second Club

So here is the latest. I pulled the heads, they look fine. Not one mark on either the pistons, or the valves. But I am taking my heads to have them checked out just incase. SO, heres is what I found out last night. Well the motor that I bought sat for about a year, in a warehouse, without an oil pan on it. SOOOOOO.....I've come to the conclusion that the rings are bad. The reason I didnt replace the rings in the first place was due to the time restraint that I had (only had 4 days to get it in the car) So after all is said and done, looks like I am pulling my motor AGAIN. Well lesson learned I guess. I will let you all know what happens with it....
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

HASTINGSRJ
I gotta tell ya, it takes ***** and alot of pacients to go through all the sh*t you just did. I give you prop's, your deff a good example of trial and error and im sure you will get it done.

I just finished Heads, cam, intake, long tubes, TB & stall in my car...It has been no easy road. I did 95% of it with NO help and ran into dozens of problems. My life felt like it was going down hill for a while there...I didnt think i was going to make it through sometimes. I lost lots of nights of sleep just thinking about it & i was really, really stressed-It basicly took ahold of every aspect of my life. Finally started the car last night and there was no better feeling in the world to hear that thing run

So good luck bro and props man

Joe L
Old 10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
HASTINGSRJ
I gotta tell ya, it takes ***** and alot of pacients to go through all the sh*t you just did. I give you prop's, your deff a good example of trial and error and im sure you will get it done.

I just finished Heads, cam, intake, long tubes, TB & stall in my car...It has been no easy road. I did 95% of it with NO help and ran into dozens of problems. My life felt like it was going down hill for a while there...I didnt think i was going to make it through sometimes. I lost lots of nights of sleep just thinking about it & i was really, really stressed-It basicly took ahold of every aspect of my life. Finally started the car last night and there was no better feeling in the world to hear that thing run

So good luck bro and props man

Joe L
Thank you. Yeah, its been a hard time with this thing. But in the long run, I think that you take more pride in it building it your self. And I look at it like lesson learned. Believe me, I am kinda pissed, after 2 motors, lots of $ in head gaskets, head bolts etc. Not to mention my bank account hurting. But all in all, its not like I hate wrenching on my own car. I guess I will be the "spokesperson" for buying a used block. But I still have to see if the heads are no good. But I have a good feeling that they are fine. But just for my own piece of mind, I am going to have them checked out. I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder wtf is wrong with this damn thing. I dont claim to be an expert, never will, but I do know simple mechanics, and how to build a motor......I look at it like this, after this, I will definalty know how to build a motor, from inside and out And Joe, thanks for your support on this. You could have been like someone else and tell me that I am not a mechanic and to hang up my tools. And just pay someone to do work for me. Congrats on your successful build. I hope too one day to fire mine back up again. I hate seeing it sit in the driveway, not running. Thanks agian

Rob
Old 10-26-2005, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Rob.....you havent been around me long enough to see bad luck. I should get two of those tatoos you have. I saved up for months after blowing the stock motor to build the stroker. Finally got the damn machine shop to do the work. I get it home and Pat comes down to Florida from here to help me put it together. Get everything installed and go to fire it up and it starts overheating. Kill the motor check the coolant....gone. Pull the dipstick...found the coolant. Machine shop cracked the pan rail clearancing for the stroke. I could hear the coolant dripping into the oil pan. One of many examples...just thought I would cheer you up. And it only gets worse form there...one day Ill tell you the whole story over a beer.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here is the latest. I pulled the heads, they look fine. Not one mark on either the pistons, or the valves. But I am taking my heads to have them checked out just incase. SO, heres is what I found out last night. Well the motor that I bought sat for about a year, in a warehouse, without an oil pan on it. SOOOOOO.....I've come to the conclusion that the rings are bad. The reason I didnt replace the rings in the first place was due to the time restraint that I had (only had 4 days to get it in the car) So after all is said and done, looks like I am pulling my motor AGAIN. Well lesson learned I guess. I will let you all know what happens with it....
Hey bud, been following this thread for a while..

"Bad" rings as a result of sitting in a warehouse w/o an oil pan for a year = NO compression? I highly doubt it.

I'd focus on the head / valve area.. You did pull the rockers off and see if the cylinder held air / had compression, yes? What was the result?

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 10-28-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:44 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

"Bad" rings as a result of sitting in a warehouse w/o an oil pan for a year? = NO compression? I highly doubt it.

I'd focus on the head / valve area.. You did pull the rockers off and see if the cylinder held air / had compression, yes? What was the result?
I agree, even if the rings were bad, you would still have some compression. How would not having an oil pan cause the rings to go bad? Even if you had an oil pan on the car, the only time the oil would get up into the cylinder walls would be when the car was running. I would definitely think your problem is head, pushrod, camshaft, valve, etc. related.

Just curious, did you ever check to see whether or not you had spark?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Hay man I feel for you. Keep us posted up when you find the problem with the car. My thought also was that the pushrods were incorrect and holding up the valves. Another thing you could try is draining the oil from the oil pan. If you tried to start the engine and cranked it over with the timing out off wack for any length of time you may have pumped 2 or 3 gallons of gas into the crankcase and washed down the rings. This happened to me on one of my old cars. Drained the oil and changed the filter and put in a new set of plugs and it fired up fine. Something to check, see if the oil level is overfilled and smells like gas and when you drain it if more than 5 quarts come out. With the electric fuel pumps if the car doesn't start right up all you are doing is pumping raw gas into the cylinders. Hope this helps. Bye
Old 10-27-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

hey rob iv helped some too dang it and im trying my hardest to help and get ya running man. seems like we all have ahd some bad luck latly. my car been together 2 weeks and i gotta pull it again yay lol NOT. talk to ya later bro
Old 10-27-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

You need to spin your crank over by hand numerous times thoughout a rebuild. You should spin it over by hand at least once each time you do a major step in your rebuild. It only takes a minute and it lets you know if everything is going together as it should up to this point. If you have to be told about a basic step such a this one maybe the hand tools really do need to be traded in for something else. You only make compression on the COMPRESSION STROKE. Are both valves closed when number one is at TDC on the compression stroke? You should have compression at this time unless you have internal damage which requires that the heads come off to narrow down the culprit. In order for the pushrods to bleed off all compression they would have to be so long that they could hold the valves slightly open during the compression stroke. I doubt that an extra .050" in length would bleed off all your compression. There is too much information available today for these mistakes to still be made. You can link to sites that carry you thru this stuff step by step or you can just ask a question BEFORE you spin the motor using the key switch and cause damage. That's why it's so important to spin the motor by hand each step of the way during your rebuild BEFORE you put the LECTIK to her.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wicked_95z
Rob.....you havent been around me long enough to see bad luck. I should get two of those tatoos you have. I saved up for months after blowing the stock motor to build the stroker. Finally got the damn machine shop to do the work. I get it home and Pat comes down to Florida from here to help me put it together. Get everything installed and go to fire it up and it starts overheating. Kill the motor check the coolant....gone. Pull the dipstick...found the coolant. Machine shop cracked the pan rail clearancing for the stroke. I could hear the coolant dripping into the oil pan. One of many examples...just thought I would cheer you up. And it only gets worse form there...one day Ill tell you the whole story over a beer.
:think: I think that we are gonna need at least a case of beer for that story Joe

:jk:
Old 10-27-2005, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

"Bad" rings as a result of sitting in a warehouse w/o an oil pan for a year? = NO compression? I highly doubt it.

Yeah, we pulled the rockers, and checked the compression. And it was at 0...

I am dropping my heads off today. So I guess I will see if that is where the damage is. But I am thinking that there is nothing wrong with them. At least, I cant see any marks where the valves hit the pistons
Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StickSS
Hay man I feel for you. Keep us posted up when you find the problem with the car. My thought also was that the pushrods were incorrect and holding up the valves. Another thing you could try is draining the oil from the oil pan. If you tried to start the engine and cranked it over with the timing out off wack for any length of time you may have pumped 2 or 3 gallons of gas into the crankcase and washed down the rings. This happened to me on one of my old cars. Drained the oil and changed the filter and put in a new set of plugs and it fired up fine. Something to check, see if the oil level is overfilled and smells like gas and when you drain it if more than 5 quarts come out. With the electric fuel pumps if the car doesn't start right up all you are doing is pumping raw gas into the cylinders. Hope this helps. Bye
As for pushrod length, they are TR 7.4 chromoly. Comp Cams lifters 850-16, and stock rockers. I thought about that too, however, its not like I have a HUGE cam, its pretty small. Hell my buddy passed the smog police in Cali with this cam......
Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverZ98
hey rob iv helped some too dang it and im trying my hardest to help and get ya running man. seems like we all have ahd some bad luck latly. my car been together 2 weeks and i gotta pull it again yay lol NOT. talk to ya later bro
And I thank you very much for your help Sir
Old 10-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Yeah, we pulled the rockers, and checked the compression. And it was at 0...

I am dropping my heads off today. So I guess I will see if that is where the damage is. But I am thinking that there is nothing wrong with them. At least, I cant see any marks where the valves hit the pistons
Not to beat a dead horse, but exactly how did you check for "compression" with the rockers off? Did you try to spin the motor by hand (should have felt resistance, not free spin), or you could have pressurized the cylinder via the spark plug hole with air..

Anyway let us know how it turns out..
Old 10-27-2005, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

:think: I think that we are gonna need at least a case of beer for that story Joe

:jk:
Between the two of us, yes
Old 10-27-2005, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

we put a compression guage on it, when it was all together.....

Well the heads are fine, so I guess its back to the drawing board. The mechanic that I just talked to said to put a little oil on the pistons, and rotate it by hand. He said you should feel some tention on it. So I am going to try that before I pull it. At this point, I am willing to try anything.......

Quick Reply: NO COMPRESSION....wtf?????