Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO COMPRESSION....wtf?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was represented as a core only, then it was a fair sale. If it was represented as a running shortblock then I think the seller owes you a good shortblock.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lasershop
At this point I think the motor needs to be on an engine stand. You guys are beating your brains out. I think you said it was a used shortblock? Wouldnt it be funny if some dumbass assembled it with no rings (not from the factory). Sound ridiculous? Raise your hand if you have seen some really stupid **** done to cars! How many of you have seen totally butchered suspension? Process of elimination. Anyway, out of the car at eye level and start from scratch........ near a compressor. Thats what I would do. New stock head bolts cost almost nothing. Consider the past couple weeks just a loss (and then forget about it) and do it right even if your sure you already did. We have all done it. I pulled the A4 out of my Vette' (no easy task) just to make sure I had a snap ring where it was supposed to be. Turns out it was an extra one in the kit.
All that work for nothing but it had to be done. Or when you change valve springs and can only account for 31 locks. Crap!!
Looks like this guy called it a long tome ago. I would have never believed someone is low enough to put a motor together without rings and sell it.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't think it was possible for someone to put a motor together and forget the rings. Last night I was telling my uncle this story and he told me about a guy that put an engine together and forgot the CAM!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wasnt just the rings... most of the rod bolts were only finger tight
Old 12-18-2005, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Exactly. I took several of them off without a wrench
Old 12-18-2005, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
Once I get it off the trailer, I can do a compression test on it, and see what its doing
If I may, I would suggest doing just that as it will tell a great deal. I would first get the valve covers off and watch carefully while someone bumps it over to try and look for any interference issuses. If the compression readings are low I would then look at the pushrods and possibly call someone (A professional even possibly the camshaft manuf.) and tell them what your findings are. They may be able to point you in the right direction on pushrod length. It coudl be that one of the sensors is not picking up that signal that it needs and there-by not giving it's OK for the firing sequence. Hope this helps.

Jim C.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Geek
If I may, I would suggest doing just that as it will tell a great deal. I would first get the valve covers off and watch carefully while someone bumps it over to try and look for any interference issuses. If the compression readings are low I would then look at the pushrods and possibly call someone (A professional even possibly the camshaft manuf.) and tell them what your findings are. They may be able to point you in the right direction on pushrod length. It coudl be that one of the sensors is not picking up that signal that it needs and there-by not giving it's OK for the firing sequence. Hope this helps.

Jim C.
Just a heads up the motor had NO RINGS.
Hawk
Old 12-18-2005, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 227Hawk
Just a heads up the motor had NO RINGS.
Hawk
Yeah, it always helps when you read the thread all the way through first huh!? Sorry bout that. As for not having any rings WTF? The pistons should have been just slapping around in there even as a short block. It amazes me sometimes at the stuff that people will do to make a buck. Take care.

Jim C.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's running now

Quick Reply: NO COMPRESSION....wtf?????