Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car finally runs after second try at Cam install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile Car finally runs after second try at Cam install.

Well any of you that have been following my nightmarish cam install, I am very happy to report that after 46 days alot of questions asked and answered on this site,much more money spent, alot of cussing and swearing, and over all just praying the car would fire up, it finally did at 12:13p.m. EST and never died. When I first fired her up,as the instructions said she would smoke everywhere, and did, also after ten minutes the valvetrain did quiet down quite a bit, took the car out for a spin turned it up to about four grand went about six miles brought the car home shut her off, woke up car started fine, drove to work okay, took some of the fellas out at work for a joy ride no problems, car does not sound like a sewing machine. Yes I do have more valvetrain noise, and it does Idle with a Slight lobe. Also I used the TDC method on tightning down the rockers, was hoping that helped on keeping my valvetrain noise down,but with the computer tuning the car runs great,sounds good even with no cats,seems to mix well with that Magnaflow I'm running, very little drone, and yes the car runs like a raped ape. Was very pleased with the results. I feel this cam suited my needs without giving up that smooth feeling. Its still a bit rough , but overall not to bad. I wish I would have gotten the cam install right the first time, but at least on the second try it all worked out. My problem was I just didn't get the dots alighned right. I was thinking black dot according to the instructions and didnt see that little crank gear dot, only the black slit on the crank, that was a Huge no,no,on my part, but thanx to all of you with all you input my car runs again, and I really just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of your help. I hope my posts will help others on what to and what not to do on a cam install. I had a couple of questions, I went with bigger valves 2.02's and 1.57's Manleys also ported it a bit on the underside, car jerks so very slightly when I'm in a higher gear at a lower speed. I take this is normal even with computer tuning? I still did drill a little bigger hole in my Stock Throttle Body, was that okay? Should I just upgrade and get a fast 78mm? I got rid off my ported MAF ends, didn't want to run to lean. Was that okay? All input appreaciated. Thanx again.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad everything is sorted out. The bucking at low RPM is normal, and if you go wtih a fast intake, go with the 90mm.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations, glad things came out OK. I am in the process of "going in" right now.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:31 AM
dug
Banned

way to go
Old 09-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Launching!

46 Days, I bet the next time you get it done in 30
Just kidding, congrats, doesn't it feel great when you do your own work and all turns out well. Have fun with the added power

Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanx for all the support, I've already got the FAST Intake, with the stock throttle body, did alot of research on a upgrade and with my tuning (have been advised on many levels) the stock throttle body makes plenty of power and not much of a increase if any with another. Yes it feels great knowing I did this myself, the knowledge is invaluable, and hopefully I will be able to spread some of it around to others in need of assistance. Thanx again.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Glad everything worked out good for ya!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Conrats, bud! now go enjoy it!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would at least get a ported throttle body instead of sticking with the stocker especially on your setup. IMO you'd pick up 5 - 10 horsepower at a minimum.