Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotcam thoughts from experience.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
LOL comparing a Hotcam'd car that also has a FAST intake and 1.8rrs to a 224 car with an LS6 intake and ported TB...not really a good comparison, don't you think?
Why yes I do think that it's not really a fair comparison, that's why I already stated that it's not exactly a perfect comparison. Guess you missed that ?

Many things can contribute to the Hotcam'd car being FASTER, but that means the car is faster, not that the cam is better.

I've seen stock LS1 intake'd cars hit 400. Doesn't mean an LS6 car at 390 makes the LS6 intake WORSE, just means one car has more done to it that makes it faster.
Yes I know. Everybody else here knows that too. Thanks for the heads up though. Sorry for suggesting that in this case the hotcammed car outperformed the TR224, but it did. Shall I lie about it to make you feel better ?

Put the 224 in the HC'd car and then we'll have a good comparison.
Umm ... how about YOU do it ? The guys that own the cars don't feel like it. It's not exactly easy to find someone to put 2 differant cams in their car just to make the perfect test for other people to read about you know ? BTW the guy with the Hotcammed car gained 10 rwhp from the FAST LSX and 10 more from the 1.8 rockers. And yes he dyno'd after each mod. Take 20 rwhp from his car and it still beats the TR224 cammed car in our club. It does trap over 7 mph faster you know ?. Guess you missed that too ? I realize that Hotcam's are popular targets for dissing, but this is just one real world experience. Get over it.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you both don't have to worry wbout the comparison, I'm already doing it. As far as the TR224 cammed car goes, he needs a tune or something. That MPH is just horrible for that cam. From searching on the board and one of my friends cars, they usually put down around 400 rwhp with cam and bolt ons.

Last edited by Y2K SS; 09-21-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
Well you both don't have to worry wbout the comparison, I'm already doing it. As far as the TR224 cammed car goes, he needs a tune or something. That MPH is just horrible for that cam. From searching on the board and one of my friends cars, they usually put down around 400 rwhp with cam and bolt ons.
It also seems to me that the TR224 cammed car traps low, but I know the people who tuned both cars and they know what they're doing. The cars actually ET within .02 of one another, but the TR224 car is hooked up better than the hotcammed car too

Both cars are tuned perfectly and much time was spent on each one. And BTW in my experience the TR224 cars usually put down about 380 rwhp. I have seen a few right at 400 rwhp, but none over, and I definitely wouldn't say that they average 400 rwhp. The hotcammed cars that I've seen usually put down about 5-10 rwhp less than the TR224, but have a better torque curve which seems to make up for it. As I've already said 1,498,345 times. This is just in my own experience, I'm sure other people's experiences will vary widely

Looking forward to the result of your little test. It would be nice to have your new dyno sheet superimposed over your old one so we could compare the whole torque curve instead of just peak numbers
Old 09-21-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a nice torque curve from a 224 car that was dyno'd in Texas summer heat

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=12683

Another one from TR's site overlaying before/after cam dynos:

http://www.thunderracing.com/dynogra...n=read&pgid=62

The basics are this: The Hotcam is a great sounding cam, but is based on VERY lazy lobes and point blank, is NOT a better cam. You cannot compare two DRASTICALLY different cars that you are comparing and put all the weight on the camshaft.

We'll see when this dude(or if anybody else can find a thread, I couldn't) of a HC-to-224 SAME CAR. Dyno it in similar conditions and see what happens.

I don't want this to seem like some sort of kiddie bitchfest and hopefully a comparison will shed some light on what everybody else already knows.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
The basics are this: The Hotcam is a great sounding cam, but is based on VERY lazy lobes and point blank, is NOT a better cam.
Yes I KNOW it's based on very lazy lobes, this is both good AND bad. Good because it's very easy on the valvetrain, valve springs will last forever etc, and bad because lazy lobes make LESS hp. I, you, and most everybody else knows this. I never said it was a better cam. IMO there is no such thing as a "better" cam. Just cams there are better than others at reaching specific goals. If your goal is to make the most hp you can on a less than 225 .050 cam then the hotcam is probably the worst cam. If your goal is to go 200,000 miles on the same valvesprings and other components and make more power than stock then it's a very GOOD cam. It all depends on what your goals are.
You cannot compare two DRASTICALLY different cars that you are comparing and put all the weight on the camshaft.
Both cars are setup identically except for 1.8 rockers ( 10 rwhp ) and the LSX ( another 10 rwhp ) They're differant alright, but drastically ? Anyway like I already mentioned, I happen to know what each car put down and trapped before the hotcam car recieved it's 1.8 rockers AND the LSX intake. Guess what ? It still outperformed the TR224 car in this case. Both tuned, both A4's. Think what you want, in THIS case it simply performed better. I'm not going say it would in every case, but in THIS case it did. No bad tuning, no bullshit, it just DID.
We'll see when this dude(or if anybody else can find a thread, I couldn't) of a HC-to-224 SAME CAR. Dyno it in similar conditions and see what happens.
Sounds good to me. I like more scientifically accurate testing as well as anybody. I'm not a hotcam nutswinger. I've never had one in my car ( I have an ASA cam ) and never will. I just recognize what it's strong points are.

Last edited by Racehead; 09-21-2005 at 07:02 PM.