Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing pushrods

Ok, need some help here... have a couple of Questions. Im installing new O.E.M. pushrdos on my 2000 T/A and I wanted to know a few things.
1. Do i use thread lock on the rocker-armbolt when i tighten it back in
2. Do I use thread lock on the valve covers upon installation?
3. Do I wash with soap the new pushrods to make sure there isnt any dirt on it?
4. Do I grease the pushrods when i put them back in, and if so, then would it be ok if I just dipped them in a quart of oil and then installed them?
5. I've have been reading some posts about torquing down the rocker arms to several different amounts. Now I just want to know which one is it: 20, 22, 23, or 24 foot pounds of torque?
6. Do I need a new valve cover gasket? Car has 52,XXX miles on it.

Thanks in advance, Im trying to start this tonight since I just got my pushrods in the mail. THANKS AGAIN
Old 09-22-2005, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Someone else can chime in if anything I say is inaccurate, but here goes:

1. Optional, just don't use the permanent kind (red, I think). I didn't use any.
2. Shouldn't have to.
3. Couldn't hurt, just make sure there is no soap residue left on them and flush the center channel as best you can.
4. Dipping them in oil will work.
5. 22 from everything I've read.
6. I didn't. Just check yours to make sure there are no rip, slices or flat spots. My car was very near 52K when I did rockers and about 52,500 for cam, didn't replace them either time.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) It is a good idea. Use Blue only.
2) No
3) Just make sure they are clean
4) If you want to, its not necessary.
5) 22ft/lbs
6) Probably not. Check them though.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Tkami129]Ok, need some help here... have a couple of Questions. Im installing new O.E.M. pushrdos on my 2000 T/A and I wanted to know a few things.
4. Do I grease the pushrods when i put them back in, and if so, then would it be ok if I just dipped them in a quart of oil and then installed them?
5. I've have been reading some posts about torquing down the rocker arms to several different amounts. Now I just want to know which one is it: 20, 22, 23, or 24 foot pounds of torque?

I did a ton of research when I replaced my cam & swapped pushrods.
1. I used blue loc-tite. I know a mechanic who has 30 yrs of engine experience and that's what he recommended.
2. No need to use thread lock on the valve covers.
3. I wouldn't bother to "wash" the pushrods, but it couldn't hurt to wipe em down and blow the centers out to make sure they're clean.
4. I didn't use any grease, just engine assembly lube on the ends of the pushrods and every other contract point.
5. Not a big difference on the torque specs there. I went with whatever the writeup said that I got off here or whatever the Haynes manual spec'd.
6. I didn't use new valve cover gaskets. Mine were in good shape and I think I swapped my cam at 47K.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Man, I love this forum... I post a question and 20 mins. later I get a couple of responses. You guys are the best.
One more question, when it comes to cleaning the pushrods what do you guys mean when you say "blow the centers out" or "flush the centers out"? I gotta take a closer look at them. Thanks again!!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tkami129
Ok, need some help here... have a couple of Questions. Im installing new O.E.M. pushrdos on my 2000 T/A and I wanted to know a few things.

Thanks in advance, Im trying to start this tonight since I just got my pushrods in the mail. THANKS AGAIN
The above guys were pretty well right. I will give my take:
1. Assuming you don't have ported heads use BLUE loctite on rocker arm bolts (just put a drop or two on the threads, dont get it all over the rocker)
2. No, no need to do that.
3. I would not wash them with soap, if anything use solvent. Electric cleaner is what I would use. Also, hold the pushrod up to the light and make sure you can see out the other end.
4. Don't use any grease, dip them in some engine oil.
5. 22 ft-lbs is the torque spec, use a torque wrench-don't guess at it
6. Maybe, ispect your for problems. Mine had gotten squished, so they got replaced.

7. I would recommend putting aftermarket pushrods in instead of OEM ones. GM pushrods are not terribly strong.

I have swapped my pushrods 4 times now.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tkami129
One more question, when it comes to cleaning the pushrods what do you guys mean when you say "blow the centers out" or "flush the centers out"? I gotta take a closer look at them. Thanks again!!
Pushrods are hollow... Make sure nothing it stuck in them...
Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably get started on Monday, once I get a torque rench.

Quick Reply: Installing pushrods