Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with ARP head bolts and AFR205s

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to chime in here saying we talked to ARP and they said it was fine to grind a tad off the end, We only need to gring about 1/16" or so. ARP it will be fine and we dont destroy the integrity of the tensile strength from the end of the bolt. So my tech is going that route since we cant wait for a set of studs to be ordered, will have to do the studs 3rd time around now.

Dixit
Old 09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Does anyone know which number ARP head bolts to use with the new LS-2 block? I am doing a 402 buildup with AFR heads milled to 66cc with .041 head gaskets. I already purchaced the ARP #134-3609 bolts.
Thanks
Ron H
Old 09-26-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26
Does anyone know which number ARP head bolts to use with the new LS-2 block? I am doing a 402 buildup with AFR heads milled to 66cc with .041 head gaskets. I already purchaced the ARP #134-3609 bolts.
Thanks
Ron H
It's the same kit used for the 2004 LS1/LS6 blocks where they're all the same length (except for the very small ones). That's what I used. Make sure you use the ARP moly and the included washer are installed correctly with the chamfered side up per the instructions.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
It's the same kit used for the 2004 LS1/LS6 blocks where they're all the same length (except for the very small ones). That's what I used. Make sure you use the ARP moly and the included washer are installed correctly with the chamfered side up per the instructions.
Damn, I have the kit for the earlier ls-1/6 I wonder if I should just shave off some of the ends of the bolts that are too long.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pure BS! You spend over a hundered dollars on bolts and the **** dont work? I have these bolts on order right now and I am over seas in a pretty remote location. I cant get over it I feel like I have been taken by a scam! So now I have to take a chance and throw everything together just to find out it leaks? I should have gone w/ the damn stock bolts. What a rip! You should not need to modify something that you spend good money on especially a fricken fastner. This is pretty disappointing news.
Question- Why do businesses still sell these if they know that there are problems with it? You should atleast be forewarned on the potential problems. Dammit!
Old 10-01-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Well the problem is not with ARP. The problem is in the blocks not all being threaded to correct lengths.

Dixit
Old 10-01-2005, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why do the factory bolts work? Because the ARP are too long. So they could have addressed this issue. I am just fricken panicing out right now because I am not a rich man. I cannot afford to buy this then that and I am in the middle of the mediteranian sea. I just want a one time good deal purchase. My car is broke so I figure why not throw better stuff in to fix it. So I decided to go with the bolts instead of the studs since I dont have that hard core of a set up but I will be spraying later but wanted a little more. So knowing my luck I throw this **** together and it will start leaking so I will have to by new gaskets waste more money and probably end up getting 20 dollar stock bolt and throw away 130 dollar ARP bolts. Just to fix the issue. Oh I will also have to buy the tq angle tool. What a PITA this is going to be. Oh also if I send the bolts back I will stuck with a restocking charge of some sort. So what I should have done was drive the car over a cliff and collect insurance on it then by me something else. Or a gun and end it all. I cant stand it. But who knows maybe it might all work for me. YEAH RIGHT.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

234-4317 are the equal length ARP studs for an 04, I believe the first year they were that way.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26
Damn, I have the kit for the earlier ls-1/6 I wonder if I should just shave off some of the ends of the bolts that are too long.
Honestly, if you haven't used them send them back to get the correct ones. I got mine from SDPC at a killer price.

Quick Reply: Problems with ARP head bolts and AFR205s