Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid roller lifters

Old 10-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default solid roller lifters

who has the lightest/nicest solid roller lifters out there? any bad experiences?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't necessarily want the lightest valvetrain piece you can get. However the nicest/best would be the Morels.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Morels are a very nice piece -- the best that is currently out. I run the morels in my solid roller setup.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are much nicer out there then Morels, I happen to know where you can find a set of $2300 jesel .875" diameter lifters for $500, ha ha (yes, I'm selling them in the for sale section). But in all seriousness Isky, Jesel, and a few others offer a very very nice solid lifter. You need to pay attention to the oiling system within the lifter to make sure it works for your combonation. For instance, some high lift small base circle cams have much more picky oiling requirements unless you wanna have your block bushed.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
There are much nicer out there then Morels, I happen to know where you can find a set of $2300 jesel .875" diameter lifters for $500, ha ha (yes, I'm selling them in the for sale section). But in all seriousness Isky, Jesel, and a few others offer a very very nice solid lifter. You need to pay attention to the oiling system within the lifter to make sure it works for your combonation. For instance, some high lift small base circle cams have much more picky oiling requirements unless you wanna have your block bushed.
Morel makes the lifters for Isky. Those Jesel's new are $$$$$$ and not to mention the morel's are fully rebuildable.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told by Erik at HPE that the morels would not hold up to my 300lb on the seat springs, or atleast would not be a good choice based on the abuse the springs would place on the lifters. There is a new lifter that is comming out from isky that is said to solve the oiling issues with small base circle cams in ls1's (according to an isky technician), does morel make that lifter as well. Something sounds fishy here.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see why they wouldn't hold up to that? Then again I haven't put that much seat pressure on mine. I don't know anything about the new lifters coming out, although I do know comp, cam motion and Isky are using the Morel lifter stuff, and not just on the LS1's.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
I don't see why they wouldn't hold up to that? Then again I haven't put that much seat pressure on mine. I don't know anything about the new lifters coming out, although I do know comp, cam motion and Isky are using the Morel lifter stuff, and not just on the LS1's.
Well that is definately a good sign for the Morel's then. I'll have to do some research myself on that one. I'm just going off what was suggested to me, I guess everyone has their opinions about what works and doesn't but in the end all you can do is try it
Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I would also suggest looking in the Comp Cams catalog at Comps fuel lifter. . .Morel is plainly etched on the tie bar. Now if you can make something that will live in a 6000HP Top Fuel engine, then a std solid roller should be no problem.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cstraub
I would also suggest looking in the Comp Cams catalog at Comps fuel lifter. . .Morel is plainly etched on the tie bar. Now if you can make something that will live in a 6000HP Top Fuel engine, then a std solid roller should be no problem.
I have the picture here somewhere I'll post it up if someone else doesn't Chris, what about the new style Morel Hydraulic Lifters you guys spoke of? have those been released?

Floyd
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Nevermind
Old 10-07-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

The Fuel lifter is a dual axle set up on the exhaust lifter. The upper wheel is the same roller used on all Morel .842" diameter liters. Extensive testing is going on by Morel for an "ultimate" hyd roller lifter. In some applications the hyd guts of the lifter have been shaken apart. Morel is currently in live field testing on this new lifter.

Chris
Old 10-07-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are correct -- the Jesels are very nice -- however not many are going to swing the $$$ for them. The Morels are a good lifter, especially for the money. They do not have the oiling issues that some do. You do have to be careful in selecting any lifter though because you can run into serious oiling issues with to much lobe lift.

As for the Morels taking the abuse -- I'm currently running 260# seat and 670# open on mine. 300# is certainly more, but if you are going to have a setup that needs 300# seat pressures then you are going to have/need the cash to swing the Jesels/titanium valves/etc.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Classic
You are correct -- the Jesels are very nice -- however not many are going to swing the $$$ for them. The Morels are a good lifter, especially for the money. They do not have the oiling issues that some do. You do have to be careful in selecting any lifter though because you can run into serious oiling issues with to much lobe lift.

As for the Morels taking the abuse -- I'm currently running 260# seat and 670# open on mine. 300# is certainly more, but if you are going to have a setup that needs 300# seat pressures then you are going to have/need the cash to swing the Jesels/titanium valves/etc.
To be honest I'm only running those springs cause they are already on the heads. I will only be in the .700"-.750" range with my cam so these spring may be a little excessive considering my 7500rpm limit.

Do you have any oiling issues with your Morels (assuming your block is not bushed)? What kind of lift cam are you running?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not having any oil problems with the morels. The morels actually have a limiter in the body that prevents the Comp lifter syndrome of flooding the valve covers My lifter galleys are not bushed -- iron block. I actually had to hone out most of them to get the proper clearance.

I'm running just under .400 lobe lift on both sides. Jesel J2K mohawks, 1.75 intake/1.80 exhaust. Isky gold stripes, 1.550 diameter dual w/ damper.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not having any oil problems with the morels. The morels actually have a limiter in the body that prevents the Comp lifter syndrome of flooding the valve covers My lifter galleys are not bushed -- iron block. I actually had to hone out most of them to get the proper clearance.

I'm running just under .400 lobe lift on both sides. Jesel J2K mohawks, 1.75 intake/1.80 exhaust. Isky gold stripes, 1.550 diameter dual w/ damper.
Awseome, with my 1.95 ratio rockers I should be able to obtain my .700"-.750" goal with less then .400 so it sounds like they may be the way to go. Now it comes down to finding out if my heads are going to require an offset lifter. I have offset rockers so that will help my cause. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can still run a centered lifter with an offest rocker.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:52 PM
SSU Moderator

Joe Kizzire solved the oiling issue with small base circle solid cams years ago using a Comp lifter made for big pontiacs.

EDIT...search rocks:

When I went from a .615 lift to a .650 lift cam I noticed a 10 to 15lb drop in oil pressure.

Just this week I found out the cause of the problem while in west Houston.

It seems that when using the Crain solid lifter on a large lift (.650+) cam the reduced base circle enables the lifter to travel to far down uncovering the lifter bore oil galley thus causing an internal oil leak. The amount of the leak will be different from cam to cam depending on the base circle and the block machining. For instance in one block a .700 lift cam was ok and a .750 lift traveled .020 to far.
In my iron block a .615 was ok and .650 is marginal.

The fix!!!! Comp Cams part number 859-16 lifter.
It requires a little grinding on the link bar for clearance but other than that it's a drop in.
The part number I posted is for a 455 Pontiac. It allows for about .400 inch futher travel down the bore before uncovering the oil galley hole.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1622-650-solid-rollers-low-oil-pressure.html

Last edited by RyanJ; 10-07-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can still run a centered lifter with an offest rocker.
not if the pushrod hits the intake port, that's why I have to mock it up and see what kind of clearence I have.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well but of course Thats what the grinder is for

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: solid roller lifters