Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain IN the engine?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain IN the engine?!

I finished my cam swap just fine and moved to changing out the valve springs when all of the sudden there came a torrential down-pour out of f-ing nowhere! This was Saturday (10/8). Needless to say, water got into the engine. My car is parked on a slight hill so that the back is tipped down further than the front, and the next day when I checked the engine, the back of heads had some water collected in them. I'd say about two ounces on each side behind and around the last springs for cylinders #7 & #8. I dried it up with a shirt, closed the hood, and walked away. I want to know how bad this is... Can the water that got in cause problems? Can the water actually get into the cylinders? The heads were still bolted all the way down, only the valve covers were off. Can I let it sit for a few days and hope that any water left over evaporates? Both sides were exposed like this when the rain came:

Thanks,
-somebody
Old 10-10-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think you should really have a problem. I would change the oil and filter and run it. after about 2 min of running I would shut it off and wait then check the oil. you might still have a little water in there. If so just change it again and you should be all set.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

I have heavy rain where i live back in the last week of march this year my car sat for a week in my drive way the rain some how got into my engine. it rained for a week straight and i was away for the week. so when i got back to start the car up it wasnt running great turn off the car and start it back up same thing so i turn it off and go check under the hood. found out my engine blow blew apart on both sides of the cylinders and destroyed my oil pan. Water got pass my cowl and leaked onto the intake and it found its way into the engine probably threw the injector seals and intake seal. So it ended costing me 3100.00 for a z06 04 engine and about another 2500 in parts headers, new intake ls6 etc..... But i think you should be okay i would probably just drain the oil and probably drain it atleast twice.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree. Change the oil with the cheapo stuff and run it for a while, then change it again.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:22 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds good. I'll change the oil as soon as I put everything back together, then drive it to the dealer 6 miles down the road and have them change it again.

Thanks guys!

-somebody
Old 10-11-2005, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

It wouldnt hurt either to run a couple of quarts of oil threw before you start it.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:31 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a problem like this before with my jeep, and I poured a bottle of Berryman B12 in the oil and started it up, and it basically dissolves anything other than metal and motor oil. Worked great. I do that with my SS about every 10,000 miles or so and lots of buildup and stuff comes pouring out the drain on the pan.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Launching!

it ok not to worry, but first drain about a pint of whatever came from the pan.
then put it in 6th gear (I hope your car is m6)
this will be a gess but in IIWW the radial engines from the airplanes had to be "propped" backwards, (walk the prop), they had to do some turns of the engine in reverse to expell the oil from the upsidedown cyls... then they gave starter in the usual manner...
push the car VERY GENTLY in 6th backwards, maybe this prevent a Hyd lockup.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Somebody09
I finished my cam swap just fine and moved to changing out the valve springs when all of the sudden there came a torrential down-pour out of f-ing nowhere! This was Saturday (10/8). Needless to say, water got into the engine. My car is parked on a slight hill so that the back is tipped down further than the front, and the next day when I checked the engine, the back of heads had some water collected in them. I'd say about two ounces on each side behind and around the last springs for cylinders #7 & #8. I dried it up with a shirt, closed the hood, and walked away. I want to know how bad this is... Can the water that got in cause problems? Can the water actually get into the cylinders? The heads were still bolted all the way down, only the valve covers were off. Can I let it sit for a few days and hope that any water left over evaporates? Both sides were exposed like this when the rain came:

Thanks,
-somebody
Are you saying your motor was completely exposed (no hood, valve covers) all night with it raining? You didn't run in and get some garbage bags to cover it, something!?!

If it was a small amount, i.e. you covered it once it started raining, then don't sweat it.. Worst-case scenario, like another member said, pour a quart of oil down each side, then change the oil. No possibility of hydro-lock.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bulletLS1
it ok not to worry, but first drain about a pint of whatever came from the pan.
then put it in 6th gear (I hope your car is m6)
this will be a gess but in IIWW the radial engines from the airplanes had to be "propped" backwards, (walk the prop), they had to do some turns of the engine in reverse to expell the oil from the upsidedown cyls... then they gave starter in the usual manner...
push the car VERY GENTLY in 6th backwards, maybe this prevent a Hyd lockup.
Nope, A4. Best I can do is turn the engine by that pulley bolt.

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Are you saying your motor was completely exposed (no hood, valve covers) all night with it raining? You didn't run in and get some garbage bags to cover it, something!?!

If it was a small amount, i.e. you covered it once it started raining, then don't sweat it.. Worst-case scenario, like another member said, pour a quart of oil down each side, then change the oil. No possibility of hydro-lock.
The hood was still attached and all, it's just that it was open for a minute while I grabbed my tools. After that I closed the hood. Thanks for the replies. I'll try all of it.

-somebody
Old 10-11-2005, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

one more thing. if u suspect water in your cyl. I would remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over several times to push water out if any got in the cyl. hope this helps.

fuerzaws6
Old 10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Launching!

certainly the proper way is to remove the s-plugs, (exept the PITA 8th cyl)

but even an "amazonican" rain for a couple of minutes will not put enough water in one cyl to Hyd-lockup, also a few drops (ok, a couple of ounces of water) could evaporate from the circulation of oil for abouth an hour.

even less because you change the oil/filter didnt you!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe, shouldn't, whatever...its not worth the $3000 bill that comes if you get the one in 10,000 one that screws up. Change the oil, change the filter, pull ALL the plugs, turn the motor over by hand a few times, bump the starter a few times (pull the fuel pump fuse for this), replace plugs, run for 30 seconds, do another oil change. Its totally worth the $30 for oil and 2 hours of your time to make sure.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so I did what you guys said... before my last post, but I did turn it over several times w/o plugs just 'cause it was a cam install and I was following LS1Howto's directions, and I started it up and no problems. Just the expected smoke that smells of burned oil.

Thanks again!
-somebody