Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at getting a new Cam. I'm a n00b and need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting a new Cam. I'm a n00b and need help

Ite, i have a 99 WS-6 and i just finished with my exhaust mods (Pacestter LTs, QTP dual electric cutouts, ORY). My next step is to start saving for a cam. Only problem is, i have no idea WTF i need to look for in a cam. Right now, the only thing i know is that i have to buy a cam and that there is more to it than just the cam itself. Many other parts are required.

Things i would like to know (please no flame)

1. What type of cam would i need and what do all the numbers mean?
2. How big should my cam be?
3. What gains should i expect, tuned and untuned?
4. What other parts will i need to get and what parts give me the best "bang" for my buck?
5. How hard is installation if you know what you're doing?
6. How expensive is labor if you don't know what you're doing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet, thanks guys.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

1) Don't be a smart *** and people will help.
2) Read here and browse the links in this guy's sig.
3) The search button is your friend.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Also try this one out
Old 10-17-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, i appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Sweet, thanks guys.

Good job pal. Ask for help with no flaming, then be a jack off 2 hour later when nobody gets off work early just to answer your question.

Good luck on your build up.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Good job pal. Ask for help with no flaming, then be a jack off 2 hour later when nobody gets off work early just to answer your question.
lol the pacience
Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CaptUSA

Good luck on your build up.
K? Don't really understand how that comment made me a jack off but oh well.

Let's just put it this way, i've had topics that have gone days without replies. And until i say something like "anyone?", chances are it will get pushed off and won't get replies. Sorry i came across a bit pissed. I had no intention of giving you that kinda impression.

Anyways, sorry i'm a n00b at this sort of stuff. All i really am familiar with is exhaust and i was hoping maybe one of y'all could help point me in the right direction. Thanks again.

P.S. VerySlow..... paTience *

Last edited by Vrbas; 10-17-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

ok, you havnt said anything about desired lope, driveability, mpg, power range, future plans on mods...comment on those and we can help out.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by napoleon
ok, you havnt said anything about desired lope, driveability, mpg, power range, future plans on mods...comment on those and we can help out.
Exactly. Is the car daily driven? Weekend warrior? Going drag? Makes a huge difference on what cam you want to stick in there.

However with out knowing any of this I'm gonna say get a TR 224, or TSP 225.

This should answer your questions on the install.
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 10-18-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As for installing it yourself.... look at www.ls1howto.com and if that looks too complicated for you then maybe you shouldn't be doing a cam swap. But hey if you have the time, tools, and someone knowledgeable to help out then it would be a good experience.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THE MOST IMPORTANT: goto ebay and find this two books about hi perf LS1-6 theyre easy to locate, I`m also building a my engine on crum budget and the books are the BEST EVER MOST BANK FOR THE BUCK I ever spended, exellent info. They let you enjoy this forum ans no one can

BUY THE TWO BOOKS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Exactly. Is the car daily driven? Weekend warrior? Going drag? Makes a huge difference on what cam you want to stick in there.

However with out knowing any of this I'm gonna say get a TR 224, or TSP 225.

This should answer your questions on the install.
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
It's a daily driver for now. I'm a Senior in High School so i'll be driving it a good 6 days out of the week. Once i head off to college, it won't be seeing much of daily driving cause there's nowhere really i need to drive unless i come home for the weekend. Later on down the road the car will probably become a weekend warrior. Right now, i just finished my exhaust setup (LT Pacesetters to electric cutouts to Y-pipe (ORY) to Flowmaster Muff (i no it sux). Chances are, i'll end at the camshaft for a while. I will probably invest in a new set of heads down the road as well. I don't expect to get nitrous any time later though, but a turbo is not out of the question.

I would consider it a daily driver. About gas mileage, as long as i don't drop below 12mpg city then i'll be happy. About power, i'd like to be able to hold my own against Z06's and attempt to reach low 12's (anywhere in the 11's would be nice too ) in the quarter. I'm not looking for PEAK gains, i'm just looking for something that will give me a noticeable boost in power.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bulletLS1
THE MOST IMPORTANT: goto ebay and find this two books about hi perf LS1-6 theyre easy to locate, I`m also building a my engine on crum budget and the books are the BEST EVER MOST BANK FOR THE BUCK I ever spended, exellent info. They let you enjoy this forum ans no one can

BUY THE TWO BOOKS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you give my a accurate title? I will certainly look into this if what you tell me is true.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

hmm..with the mods you listed, youd be hard pressed to run with a Z06 with a moderate cam. I would tell you to finish your bolt ons first. you need an LS6 intake and a U/D pulley first, i would say. Im a big fan of doing things in steps. Botls ons, then a cam, then heads, etc. you have to learn to drive the car appropraitely. Anyway, as far as a cam selection, a 226/228 cam on a 114LSA would fit the bill nicely. With full boltons, look for 385-390whp, 20mpg, great idle.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

So the LS6 intake and the underdrive pulleys are basically required? Not required, but highly recommended b4 a cam swap? What other bolt ons could get me up and going quicker? I've basically freed up as much exhaust as i possibly can (LT Pacesetters to cutouts). Let's just say this, i've recently finished the "exhaust" step on "making" my car. All that's left is forced induction and internal engine. I won't be messin' with the pistons (though boring might be an option later on down the road).

Here's a list of what i HOPE my car is when i'm done:

1. Lid (check)
2. Headers (check)
3. Cutouts (check)
4. Spark plugs and wires (check)
5. Rear Axle (check)
6. Throttle Body (unfinished)
7. Camshaft (unfinished)
8. Tune (unfinished)
9. Underdrive Pulleys (unfinished)
10. LS6 Intake (unfinished)
11. Turbo (maybe/unfinished)
12. Stroker Kit (highly unlikely, but still an option)

Off the top of my head, that's basically what i am looking for in my "finished" car. I'm sure there is plenty more but that was offhand. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

where do you want the power?
do mpgs matter?
how much power are you looking to achieve overall? (realisticly)
what kind of racing, if any?
smooth idle or a shaker?
will you be getting a dyno tune?
these are some of the questions that you need to know the answer to and how much are you willing to sacrifice. Do you have supporting mods? stuff like that.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
where do you want the power?
do mpgs matter?
how much power are you looking to achieve overall? (realisticly)
what kind of racing, if any?
smooth idle or a shaker?
will you be getting a dyno tune?
these are some of the questions that you need to know the answer to and how much are you willing to sacrifice. Do you have supporting mods? stuff like that.
1. I am looking for more low end power. Though i don't want to just dump high end either. I want a mix, more so to low end than top end but not by a bunch.
2. As long as i stay around 15mpg then i'll be happy
3. Overall power? Well, i want to achieve at least 400 without turbo or forced induction. If that's possible to do without a head swap then i will. I'm hoping to get to 400 with a few more bolt ons and a new cam. Eventually i will be looking into a turbo kit but that's later on down the road.
4. Racing- Right now i don't consider my car to be "race qualified" just yet. IMO, i don't feel confident with my mods. That's just me. Then again, i have never run it at the track, tuned it, dyno, etc. so i dunno my stats (i needa take it to the track soon). Once i get the cam swap and a few other bolt ons, it will turn into a weekend warrior for the most part. I'll be in college and i won't really have any place to drive around that much (other than the occasional home visits). It'll probably see the track every weekend if not ever other. Oh, and the occasional drag races on the open road at your local stop lights
5. Smooth or shaker? I dunno, i haven't really thought that through. In terms of idle and sound, i want whatever this guy has
http://ls1sounds.com/borlamouth/borl..._billsride.avi
6. I WILL eventually get a dyno but not right away. What are the advantages and dissadvantages of having an untuned cam?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

the cams we'd normally recommend are either for n/a setups or s/c. Turbos take better to a reverse split cam..bigger intake smaller exhaust on a higher lsa...if your not going to get it tuned, then dont get it till you are. Id say recommend: the f13 since its one of the hottest out, a 228 cam (my old one pulled nicely all over!), a 224/228 will yeild good overall power also. 400 is a mark we all wanted to hit...will you get there??? it takes a strong motor from the start. if not, then plan on 37x-39x. your also an auto so id consider staying on a 114, but if you can handle a 112 then go for it! Just my opinion. There are so many cams out there though no one is the best.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
your also an auto
Nope, 6-speed.

Anyways, i'm just shooting for 400 right now. I don't want to have to rely on forced induction to get it either, i'd much rather have it "raw". That's just me though. Heck, if it's not possible (how could it not be???) to reach 400 outside of turbo/super then i might have to reconsider my priorities.