Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

what springs were you runnin ?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oange ss
what springs were you runnin ?
TEA's version of the ever popular gold spring. Springs appear to be in fine shape, though Ive not tested them. Theres about 10K on the cam/spring setup, and just shy of 90K on the the rest of the car. As for the lifters, maybe it was just their time.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious as to what could have caused that. Perhaps a needle bearing?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jub jub
I'm curious as to what could have caused that. Perhaps a needle bearing?
Nope, needle bearings were all okay. With 90K on the stock lifters, they probably just started to come apart. The lifter rollers look like the case hardening was chipping and flaking apart.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Phew, just cranked her over and she was noisy as all anything. Topped off coolant. Cranked again, repeated about 5 times as it slowly rose to temp. Let it run for five minutes and the clanking faded. I guess the lifters needed to pump up. Gonna give her a couple more starts then change the oil back to synthetic. Man, pulling the heads are always such a pain in the ***! Hopefully this will last ne another month or two till i do the planned headswap. Ill replace all lifters that time (only did four this time). The cam didnt look too beat up, but illl inspect it and see how the lifter is before when I pull the heads. If it chews through another lifter, ill put the stock cam in and have to order a new cam. So far so goo though... The intermittent ticking is gone.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

seeing those pictures and you describing your problem makes me sick to my stomach....I just hope my lifters dont look like that. But you said you had 90k on the clock? I'm about to hit 19.....so maybe they aint so bad....dammit....!!
Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

seeing those pictures and you describing your problem makes me sick to my stomach....I just hope my lifters dont look like that. But you said you had 90k on the clock? I'm about to hit 19.....so maybe they aint so bad....dammit....!! btw, did you pull the engine out of the bay or was it possible to do it still in the bay? How difficult was it to loosen the heads?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LUNATIC
seeing those pictures and you describing your problem makes me sick to my stomach....I just hope my lifters dont look like that. But you said you had 90k on the clock? I'm about to hit 19.....so maybe they aint so bad....dammit....!! btw, did you pull the engine out of the bay or was it possible to do it still in the bay? How difficult was it to loosen the heads?
I got off easy! You want to see some lifter snuff pics, ccheck out txhorns
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/404924-where-s-waldo-mechanics.html
I left my engine in the car and took the heads off. Fairly easy, but time consuming. About three days worth of work by myself. Check out ls1howto.com for a good writeup on swapping heads.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
TEA's version of the ever popular gold spring. Springs appear to be in fine shape, though Ive not tested them. Theres about 10K on the cam/spring setup, and just shy of 90K on the the rest of the car. As for the lifters, maybe it was just their time.
I have the same exact problem as you so very well described. Then I looked at your pics, and I too felt ill. God, I just bought that cam 3 months ago. And, I only have about 13k miles on the car.

I am running Patriot Gold springs, with a fairly stout cam. I am wondering if these stock lifters are problematic with stiffer springs and high lift cams. Mine is a 598/609 lift.

At first, I tried the oil detergents and that only helped for less than a day, then the noice came back. I too thought it was an exhaust leak, as well as the exhaust rattling against the chassis.

Even though the pics made me sick, I still have to say thank you much for your post. It was *VERY* informative and helpful.

greg
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by greg_nate
I have the same exact problem as you so very well described. Then I looked at your pics, and I too felt ill. God, I just bought that cam 3 months ago. And, I only have about 13k miles on the car.

I am running Patriot Gold springs, with a fairly stout cam. I am wondering if these stock lifters are problematic with stiffer springs and high lift cams. Mine is a 598/609 lift.

At first, I tried the oil detergents and that only helped for less than a day, then the noice came back. I too thought it was an exhaust leak, as well as the exhaust rattling against the chassis.

Even though the pics made me sick, I still have to say thank you much for your post. It was *VERY* informative and helpful.

greg
My suggestion to you is to rip it apart NOW!.. Lifters are cheap at around 14 bucks each at autozone or 165 got the set of 16 through futral or other sponsors. Head gaskets are ~25 for the MLS GMs. Bolts are about 30. Plus a jug of dexcool is like 12 bucks. It may take a couple days to pull the heads, clean and inspect and then reassemble, but the sooner you do it, the greater the chance of saving your cam. Ive put on about 1300 miles since i pulled the heads and so far everythigs holding up. I plan on swapping heads again soon, so i can check to make sure the cam is not getting any worse at that time. Good luck man, any questions, just post up!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
My suggestion to you is to rip it apart NOW!.. Lifters are cheap at around 14 bucks each at autozone or 165 got the set of 16 through futral or other sponsors. Head gaskets are ~25 for the MLS GMs. Bolts are about 30. Plus a jug of dexcool is like 12 bucks. It may take a couple days to pull the heads, clean and inspect and then reassemble, but the sooner you do it, the greater the chance of saving your cam. Ive put on about 1300 miles since i pulled the heads and so far everythigs holding up. I plan on swapping heads again soon, so i can check to make sure the cam is not getting any worse at that time. Good luck man, any questions, just post up!
So you are saying that you have put 1300 miles on the engine with same cam? That is impressive. I'd really like to know how this plays out because I don't want my possibly damaged cam chewing up a lifter and starting the whole mess over again.

I just can't get out of my mind your description of the ticking sound after you shut off the engine...that's exactly how mine sounds with this problem.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by greg_nate
So you are saying that you have put 1300 miles on the engine with same cam? That is impressive. I'd really like to know how this plays out because I don't want my possibly damaged cam chewing up a lifter and starting the whole mess over again.

I just can't get out of my mind your description of the ticking sound after you shut off the engine...that's exactly how mine sounds with this problem.

Yes, same cam. The pits werent nearly as bad as the picture made them look. Could hardly feel them. They wernt flaking like the lifter rollers were, it looked like it was just slightly scratched from coming in contact with the rough lifters. Only that one lobe showed any pitting, and the nose that was shown in the picture was the worst of it. I know how you feel about having it cause another lifter to come apart, but i figured ill be doing heads soon enough anyway. I wish you the best of luck with it, but dont drive it if possible till you pull the heads and see for yourself.

Quick Reply: Intermittent tapping / ticking.