Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Futral F10 owners inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
It means you need a longer p-rod. If it takes you more than 1 turn (360*) to reach 22ftlbs, then your p-rods are too short. (assuming your geometry is centered).
But that is done with motor warm and lifters pumped.
OK assuming my geometry is centered, if the pushrod is too short then that means the rocker fulcrumwould be closer to the head which "in my mind" means it would take less turns to hit the torque spec. How am I messing this up?
Sorry guys!

Last edited by GMCVT; 12-02-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by m1key99WS6
I have an F10 on 114 in my forged 346 with AFR heads milled .020 and Comp non "r" rockers and i use a 7.400 pushrod and it's not that noisy at all. My comp 216/220 .579 .589 114 was a TON louder in regards to a sewing machine noise.

If you want I have a pushrod length checker that I bought from thunder and I can mail it to you if you want to borrow it.
Man, that is tremendously generous offer. Thank you very much!. I would just think that considering how few changes I have made and how many of these things are out there, that I could get it darn close without having to do that. But ultimately if I have too, I have too. Thank you again!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GMCVT
OK assuming my geometry is centered, if the pushrod is too short then that means the rocker fulcrum would be closer to the head which "in my mind" means it would take less turns to hit the torque spec. How am I messing this up?
Sorry guys!
Please straighten me out here predator.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

... If it takes you more than 1 turn (360*) to reach 22ftlbs, then your p-rods are too short. (assuming your geometry is centered)....
Err, I think you have that backwards. Finger tight, the rocker is 'bridging' between the pushrod and the valve stem. The height of the pivot above the pedestal will be greater, i.e. require more turns to pull down into contact, the longer the pushrod.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MadBill
Err, I think you have that backwards. Finger tight, the rocker is 'bridging' between the pushrod and the valve stem. The height of the pivot above the pedestal will be greater, i.e. require more turns to pull down into contact, the longer the pushrod.
Sweet Heaven, I'm not completely nuts: or am I and you are too Just kidding of coarse. I just figure there something I'm missing here.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, let us back up a little.
Stock heads>right?
Stock gasket>right?
Stock valves>right?
Stock lifters>right?

Then the only thing not stock is your cam which has a smaller base circle that stock cam right?

Then it will require longer p-rods than stock size right?
7.40 are stock size right?
Then your p-rods are too short.
Now almost all vendors say they work fine, but the math says they are too short.
Tell me what is your base circle measurement and I'll tell you by exactly how much.
(sorry, just trying a different approach)
Old 12-04-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, let us back up a little.
Stock heads>right?
Stock gasket>right?
Stock valves>right?
Stock lifters>right?

Then the only thing not stock is your cam which has a smaller base circle that stock cam right?

Then it will require longer p-rods than stock size right?
7.40 are stock size right?
Then your p-rods are too short.
Now almost all vendors say they work fine, but the math says they are too short.
Tell me what is your base circle measurement and I'll tell you by exactly how much.
(sorry, just trying a different approach)
Please dont appologize. I know I'm making this difficult. I really dont want to take the cam back out it I dont have too. I know thats lazy but my time is very short. I will order the next size up pushrod if I need too just to try it. Its alot easier to swap pushrods than take the cam out to measure the base circle. I still just dont understand why this Futral cam with less lift and duration would have a smaller base circle than the tsp 231/237 598/595 that I took out did.