Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get 30Lb injector for LS6 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where to get 30Lb injector for LS6 motor?

Guys:

I'm doing a heads/cam upgrade on my Z06 (LG's installing it) in ~Feb. Doing some reading that with ~460rwhp my stock 26lb injectors might not cut it....

I am being told that I need 30lb injectors for better reliability and function with my upgrade.

I'm hearing Bosch 30lb injectors will work well for me ? I hear the SVO's have issues because they are too long and hit the inner fuel rail when your driving the car hard and hot. I don't want to risk that.

Where do you think I can get what I will need ?
Prefered brands ?
Do you have any links ?

I tried Jegs and Summit but I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys !
Toque
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (01-03-2022)
Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran SVO 30#'s, had no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (01-03-2022)
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Juggernaut
I ran SVO 30#'s, had no issues.
Ive run the 30# SVO and now the 42# SVO injectors...no issues here either. Got my 42# SVO injectors, brand new off EBAY cheap!!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Toque
Guys:

I'm doing a heads/cam upgrade on my Z06 (LG's installing it) in ~Feb. Doing some reading that with ~460rwhp my stock 26lb injectors might not cut it....
I'm pretty sure all Z06s came with at least 28.8# injectors (02-04 injectors are slightly bigger). But you are still right in thinking they will not be adequate at those power levels.

It might be better to ask LGM what they would recommend as I assume they will also be doing the tuning after the h/c. Be very clear with them what your goals are for the car power-wise (and future mods).

At 460rwhp I would go with SVO 42s or Lucas / Delphi injectors 37#s or higher. SVO 30s will be very close to static.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

SVO 30's are actualy 34.54 at 4 BAR (58psi) and can handle well into the 550rwhp range with stable pressure.
I've run those for 2 years now no issues at all.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running SVO 36# injectors on my engine because that is what Lou recommended for my G5-X2 cam.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Here are my thoughts on why SVO 30s may not be the ideal choice for >450rwhp:

GM used 28.8#/min injectors in an engine rated at 350 fwhp (vette ls1). If we assume a BSFC of .5 (which is all we can really do without test data from an engine dyno), then we see that the injectors should run at about 75%. If we use the standard 85% idc as our max, then that gives us a 10% cushion.

Using the 460rwhp target in the original post and 12% drivetrain loss, I get 515fwhp. SVO 30s at that power level should be pushed to 93% idc. This is above the recommended max of 85%. Will they work? Yes. The only problem is that the further above 85% you get, the less reliable the fuel mass is per pulse. It also means the injector is commanded open longer for each given pulse. The longer the pulse, the longer current is applied to the injector. This will cause the injector to wear faster. Also remember that this doesn’t just apply at WOT. At all rpms the smaller injectors will be commanded open longer. You also have to take into account that IDC (measured) is an average of all 8 injectors. Some will be lower and some will be higher. Also, take into account that the injectors are not flowed as a matched set before being sold. I remember reading somewhere (I’ll try to find the source) that a set could have a 5% spread between all injectors. That means any one injector could be +/- 5% of the 34.54 rated delivery rate.

This is where I look at what the GM chose and why. Given that the stock injectors should run at 75% max. This allows for a long injector life and steady, stable fuel flow for all cylinders even at WOT. This is why I would personally use an injector bigger than the SVO 30s. You spent all this $ on mods, why would you risk it by being less conservative on fuel delivery?

As for my own car, I run Lucas / Delphi 32s (36.5 @ 58psi). I have headers, ls6 intake, and am running a Maf-less SD tune. I was able to max (100% idc) my stock injectors at will by going WOT (or even close to it). With the 32s I now see 65-70% at max idc. I have further mods planned, so I have room to grow.

These are just my thoughts on how I would approach new injector requirements. Again, I would suggest talking to LGM and going by their recommendation.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bshell

GM used 28.8#/min injectors in an engine rated at 350 fwhp (vette ls1). If we assume a BSFC of .5 (which is all we can really do without test data from an engine dyno), then we see that the injectors should run at about 75%. If we use the standard 85% idc as our max, then that gives us a 10% cushion.

Using the 460rwhp target in the original post and 12% drivetrain loss, I get 515fwhp. SVO 30s at that power level should be pushed to 93% idc. This is above the recommended max of 85%. Will they work? Yes. The only problem is that the further above 85% you get, the less reliable the fuel mass is per pulse. It also means the injector is commanded open longer for each given pulse. The longer the pulse, the longer current is applied to the injector. This will cause the injector to wear faster. Also remember that this doesn’t just apply at WOT. At all rpms the smaller injectors will be commanded open longer. You also have to take into account that IDC (measured) is an average of all 8 injectors. Some will be lower and some will be higher. Also, take into account that the injectors are not flowed as a matched set before being sold. I remember reading somewhere (I’ll try to find the source) that a set could have a 5% spread between all injectors. That means any one injector could be +/- 5% of the 34.54 rated delivery rate.

This is where I look at what the GM chose and why. Given that the stock injectors should run at 75% max. This allows for a long injector life and steady, stable fuel flow for all cylinders even at WOT. This is why I would personally use an injector bigger than the SVO 30s. You spent all this $ on mods, why would you risk it by being less conservative on fuel delivery?

As for my own car, I run Lucas / Delphi 32s (36.5 @ 58psi). I have headers, ls6 intake, and am running a Maf-less SD tune. I was able to max (100% idc) my stock injectors at will by going WOT (or even close to it). With the 32s I now see 65-70% at max idc. I have further mods planned, so I have room to grow.

These are just my thoughts on how I would approach new injector requirements. Again, I would suggest talking to LGM and going by their recommendation.

One thing a lot of poeple miss is that our pressure regulator is not at the rail and not adjustable.
Put a Racetronix PnP pump + harness + FPR (at rail) and tell me again how much can the stock 28.8 (01-02) can handle.
I have 429 rwhp + i shoot up to 200 dry (~160 wet), so that is a total (aproximate) 580+ rwhp and the SVO 30's are at 98%.
So that is maxed. (for 10.x seconds)

500 rwhp is well within the 80/85% SVO cycle capability.

So the moral of this is bigger injectors are not always the solution, but a well balanced fuel system is. Combo (I love this word)
Old 12-09-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bshell

Those Luca/ Delphi 32's are what i want. What you pay for them?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

I got the 32s off the classifieds here. NIB, $180. They are about $240 new.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ebay, blueoval industries has auctions all the time on them, thats where I got mine.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
One thing a lot of poeple miss is that our pressure regulator is not at the rail and not adjustable.
Put a Racetronix PnP pump + harness + FPR (at rail) and tell me again how much can the stock 28.8 (01-02) can handle.
I have 429 rwhp + i shoot up to 200 dry (~160 wet), so that is a total (aproximate) 580+ rwhp and the SVO 30's are at 98%.
So that is maxed. (for 10.x seconds)

500 rwhp is well within the 80/85% SVO cycle capability.

So the moral of this is bigger injectors are not always the solution, but a well balanced fuel system is. Combo (I love this word)
Ah, now that does change things. The original poster however, did not state that he had any aftermarket fuel system components and I took that to assume everything other than injectors would be stock. I do think it does a disservice to recommend the SVO 30s for >450rwhp and not recommend any other components to help on the pressure side.

I do agree, that a well balanced fuel system is the best way to go.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
ebay, blueoval industries has auctions all the time on them, thats where I got mine.
They are also available from our sponsors ------------------>
Old 12-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I do have a racetronix pump, but anywhere you can save a little money helps to have more to spend with the sponsors.

Quick Reply: Where to get 30Lb injector for LS6 motor?