Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad News from the shop!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
dude dont take a shops word for it, take it home and do a compression check yourself. its probably fine. dont spend 1400 that you could spend on heads/cam later on down the road

And herein is where a good shop will separate itself from a shoddy one. A good shop will make sure the customer is not only informed of any possible issues they discover, but illustrate, through performing the test or other, in front of the customer.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CAT3
And herein is where a good shop will separate itself from a shoddy one. A good shop will make sure the customer is not only informed of any possible issues they discover, but illustrate, through performing the test or other, in front of the customer.
Be careful before giving them the go ahead replacing the gaskets . I had a shop tell me the exact same thing 3 or 4 years ago
My engine has done the same thing since new (1999) always had a yellow milky substance in the oil cap.
It now has over 55K on it and not 1 problem . I have never lost any coolant.
Just flushed and changed it for the first since it is now 5 years old.
my .02
Good luck hope its O.K.
Ryan
Old 12-12-2005, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guy's you miss that he mention that it was $1400 total. Tuning along is $500-$600 at most shops + oil pump install + removing the heads and machining. If you add it up you are not too far, So I don't think the price is too out of line. However I'm with the condensation due to short trips camp. My .02
Old 12-12-2005, 06:17 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Don't sweat it. I had the same thing on my car every winter. It looks like pancake batter somewhat and was caused from driving the car 4 miles to work everyday. It always went away. I wouldn't worry about anything. Just make sure that who is doing the work is trustworthy and not going to scam you into un-needed maintenance.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are already at the pump (which takes a grand total of 45 minutes to get to). So you're thinking it's worth 1300 dollars to do a head gasket (if it's even blown)? Did they pressure up the cooling system and see if it bleeds down? If they don't pressure up the system and check for bleed down, I'd take my car as far away from them as possible.
Mail order tune from TSP = 275
Head gaskets = 50
Bolts = 55
Decking the head = 50 (I just had a set decked)
LS1Howto for info on how to change the head = free
All of this done for no reason because you're guessing by not pressurizing the system to see if it's even leaking = Priceless

Last edited by itchygomey98; 12-12-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:56 AM
SRP
11 Second Club

Derek (z28ls1camaroguy) will be treated as all my other customers are, with respect and for the love of the cars. If anyone thinks that my shop is not well respected in the area, check out our website www.ts-performance.com (mods, this is not an advertisement, just in defense of myself) It is true i found the white milky substance under the oil fill cap, along with a thick coating in the bottom of the pan directly below the oil pump. My butterfingers dropped the oil pickup tube bolt for the oil pump, so i removed the oil pan to retrieve the bolt and cleaned out his pan for him, at no extra charge (derek that's why i haven't gotten to the testing yet, it's labor intensive to get the pan off these cars ) I asked the same questions of Derek, if he were doing short trips, leaving the car outside overnight,etc.etc. I am not one to lie to my customers, he know's exactly what i have found so far, and has been invited up to the shop to see for himself (understand he's out of northern kentucky and we're located north of cincinnati, long trip to see white crud on the bottom of a oil cap) The car will have a Leakdown test and compression test later today once i have it back to running condition. Sorry about the wait Derek.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

i didnt know you were a member on here, i fully trust him and his shop since the NKYf-body has been taking there cars to them forever, and they have awsome F-Bodies. so whatever he thinks is neccessary to get the full potential out of my mods i will trust his judgement and his work. sorry if this thread offended you in any way i just wanted to get other peoples input on what you found.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:52 AM
SRP
11 Second Club

no offense taken man, just wanted to clear things up a bit.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

so hows the car doing now, you get everything together and running any tests???? just wondering.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Launching!

I too am curious, Hook us up!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

well he didnt get a chance to do the tests today since the crank cover seal was leaking so tomorrow he should be able to do all the tests, they said that it most likely isnt a head gasket and its prolly condensation or the old oil buildup mixing with the new synthetic oil possibly, they did say short trips and all that will make that milky stuff in the oil. so hopefully it wont be the head gasket and just some buildup since the motor does have 93000 miles on I can imagine all the oil changes you will have some stuff in the pan, but wont know for sure until he does the tests hopefully all goes well. and anyone who says not to trust this shop doesnt know this shops rep. the are a very good F-Body shop and know what they are doing so i fully trust there decisions on everything and appreciate all there information they have given me on future mods and what they have found out about my car. they are nice and talk to you like a friend, so i will be a customer for them for a long time after this.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Restricted User

Pleasing to know and hear.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is condensation. I had a lubrication class when I was working towards my masters degree. We saw videos of what happens to oil on short trips where the engine and oil do not get up to proper operating temperature on a test car that had a clear oil pan. It gets milky white mixed in it that is condensation in the system. Take a longer trip (~30min or so) and that condensation will be evaporated out of the system and the oil will return to normal (Saw videos of that as well). If you only drive those short stints daily, more frequent changes are also recommended to keep from getting too much condensation in the system.

Your motor should be fine though. Good luck with the upgrades.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

yeah most i have driven in one trip to go somewhere is about 45 minutes, but shouldnt the oil be up to temp by then?? i mean i havent drove it like that only about 3 times or so over the past three or four months so i can imagine that might be an issue.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hell you could bring it to my house and Id change a headgasket and oil pump for 400.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
Hell you could bring it to my house and Id change a headgasket and oil pump for 400.
Waiting to see how long before another mod edits your post due to non-sponsor content
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

i kno alot of people who want to help but live no where near me, but I trust this shop and wouldnt want to do this stuff myself b/c i dont have the tools.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Shouldn't the oil be at operating temp in 15 minutes? The water/coolant sure is. My 160 T-stat opens in about 3-4 minutes while just idling.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

well got good news from the shop, NO HEAD GASKETS BLOWN YAY!!!!. Tyler from Scott Racing and Performance just called me and said everything is good to go, he said it is most likely condensation from the engine cooling down and there isnt much i can do other than let her warm up more during the winter time before i leave, all thats left now is the tune. oil pressure is 40 at idle now which is better than my oil pressure where it moved around, and also got the throttle body ported, bumpstop mod, and he did the throttle body bypass for me aswell. i cant say how relieved i am now that the tests are over and everything is good, but the good outcome of all of this is I found a shop that will help me build a beast and anything done to my car will go through them from now on. A 100lb. weight has been lifted from my shoulders lol thanks the car gods everything is good lol.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:20 PM
SRP
11 Second Club

Glad you're happy man. Thanks for the props and business.