Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which brand or Stock?
Stock Lifters will be fine (2001 WS6)
42.39%
CompCams
27.17%
CraneCams
1.09%
Lunati/Morel
17.39%
Other....
11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

To upgrade or not upgrade STOCK Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I had Erik @ HPE tear down one of my Lunati hydraulic rollers and compare it to the Morel - was identicle as far as we could tell. Give HPE a call. They can get you the Lunati's for a price way south of the Morels
Old 12-13-2005 | 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I had Erik @ HPE tear down one of my Lunati hydraulic rollers and compare it to the Morel - was identicle as far as we could tell. Give HPE a call. They can get you the Lunati's for a price way south of the Morels
Well I think Erik may be mistaken..

Check this out for the real story...

http://www.HardcoreLS1.com/vbulletin...read.php?t=353

Ed
Old 12-13-2005 | 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Board was down when I spoke with Morel. The 72432 is not made by Morel.
Old 12-13-2005 | 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Your open pressure is 385 X 1.7 = 645. I would go with the Morels from Ed if this were my car.
I may be a little confused here, but how does the open spring pressure relate to the ratio of your rockers? I thought the only thing that the ratio changed was the lift. Even if the lift is increased, how does that affect the open spring pressures, especially because the open spring pressures are calculated when the spring is at max compression, so a change in ratio shouldn't make any difference. The spring can only push back so much...Am I confused here?

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-13-2005 | 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure on the accuracy of the equation for determining pressure, but it's a matter of leverage. If you have 345#'s of pressure on the long side of a lever (rocker) then the effective pressure on the short side will be greater. How much greater it will be is dependent on rocker ratio.
Old 12-13-2005 | 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

OHHHHHHH, ok, I see what you're saying, I wasn't thinking of it completely. The longer one side is, the more pressure will be on the other side....if both sides were the same length, they would then have the same pressures. I get it...thanks for making that clear!

What he was saying was the open pressure on the LIFTER...good deal

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-14-2005 | 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, again this was only my findings in the research I did. My point for looking is that I am running 1.8 rockers so open spring pressure is even more critical. The 625# just seems to be a cutoff number where guys have not had problems.
Old 12-14-2005 | 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EDC
Well I think Erik may be mistaken..

Check this out for the real story...

http://www.HardcoreLS1.com/vbulletin...read.php?t=353

Ed

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Board was down when I spoke with Morel. The 72432 is not made by Morel.

well ****

Not that y'all are dying to find out, but do you have any idea who makes the 72432's? I may call Lunati myself when my work schedule calms down.
Old 12-14-2005 | 06:37 PM
Banned

A buddy of mine just installed an LME long block in his car. They said the Cranes are good and that's what's in his motor FWIW.
Old 12-15-2005 | 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
well ****

Not that y'all are dying to find out, but do you have any idea who makes the 72432's? I may call Lunati myself when my work schedule calms down.
If someone can take a picture of a lifter out of a 72432 box then I should be able to identify.
Old 12-15-2005 | 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The rollers on my stocker lifters started flaking apart. I replaced with inexpensive melling lifters from futral.
Old 12-15-2005 | 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you had quite a few miles on them. I'll check mine over with a fine tooth comb, and if I spot a problem, i'll get new ones, but I doubt it as they only have 38K miles on them.
Good looking out though,

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-15-2005 | 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Haans249
Sounds like you had quite a few miles on them. I'll check mine over with a fine tooth comb, and if I spot a problem, i'll get new ones, but I doubt it as they only have 38K miles on them.
Good looking out though,

Thanks!
Adrian
If this was in response to my post, I had 88K on the car, but only 12K with a mid-sized cam. The case hardening started chipping right off the rollers. Looked almost like peeling chrome. The motor has been very well taken care of, and the vast majority of my miles were very easy highway miles from commuting back and fourth to work.
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going with Comp 850-16s in my forged 347, used with a FMS F13.
Old 12-15-2005 | 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
If this was in response to my post, I had 88K on the car, but only 12K with a mid-sized cam. The case hardening started chipping right off the rollers. Looked almost like peeling chrome. The motor has been very well taken care of, and the vast majority of my miles were very easy highway miles from commuting back and fourth to work.
Damn, maybe you had a bad lifter to begin with, were all of your lifters that way? . What kind of cam were you running, the same cam you have in your sig?
Old 12-15-2005 | 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Haans249
Damn, maybe you had a bad lifter to begin with, were all of your lifters that way? . What kind of cam were you running, the same cam you have in your sig?
Four of my lifters were noticeably starting to peel, but two of which were pretty rough looking. I may have just had a bad batch from the factory. Yes, i was running my F-13 cam. I am still using the same cam, and even though the pitting looks a lot worse in that bottom pic than it does in real life, i havnt had a problem with in after a few K miles. Here's some old posts:

Here's the carnage from under the drivers side head...

http://www.ihearyou.com/~tony/lifters/lifters-001.jpg
http://www.ihearyou.com/~tony/lifters/lifters-002.jpg
http://www.ihearyou.com/~tony/lifters/lifters-003.jpg

I dont know if the cam is fucked yet. It dosnt look too bad, but I cant see the nose of the lobes yet.
And here's the nose of the cam lobe through the lifter bore. The picture makes it look worse than it is. I dont know if I should chance running the cam again, although I hate to think that I just bought this cam less than 10K miles ago, and I have to buy another.

http://www.ihearyou.com/~tony/lifters/lifters-005.jpg
Old 12-15-2005 | 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm....

Strange pitting...

Ever have a head gasket failure? Moisture left on the bare metal may have pitted the surface and then all bets are off for the material to stay intact.

How about excessive valve float pounding the lifters onto the cam lobes?

I'd think this was more of an exception than a rule for the rollers to self-destruct.

Ed
Old 12-15-2005 | 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by EDC
Hmmm....

Strange pitting...

Ever have a head gasket failure? Moisture left on the bare metal may have pitted the surface and then all bets are off for the material to stay intact.

How about excessive valve float pounding the lifters onto the cam lobes?

I'd think this was more of an exception than a rule for the rollers to self-destruct.

Ed
Nope, never had a gasket blow. I dont take short trips. I warm the car up for a few minutes before driving. Shes always warm before beating on it. Nvere bent a pushrod. Never overreved (past the limiter anyway ). With the cam, ive been running gold duals which are more than enough. Ive run mobil 0w40 and GC almost exclusively. I love my car, and my car usually loves me. The only coincidence is that at 75K i had similar spalling on the rear axles, so i replaced them with mosers.
Old 12-15-2005 | 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

The question is whether the cam was on the giving or receiving end of this. If the case hardening on the cam was not deep enough, then surface contact stress could ultimately result with this situation.
Old 12-15-2005 | 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The question is whether the cam was on the giving or receiving end of this. If the case hardening on the cam was not deep enough, then surface contact stress could ultimately result with this situation.
The cam was the victim here. Only one lobe showed any pitting, and that was caused by the lifter in the worst condition which at one point had flaked clear across the roller. The lobes under the other three failing lifters were still in pristine condition.

SORRY FOR THE THREADJACKING!!!

Quick Reply: To upgrade or not upgrade STOCK Lifters