Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which brand or Stock?
Stock Lifters will be fine (2001 WS6)
42.39%
CompCams
27.17%
CraneCams
1.09%
Lunati/Morel
17.39%
Other....
11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

To upgrade or not upgrade STOCK Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
The cam was the victim here. Only one lobe showed any pitting, and that was caused by the lifter in the worst condition which at one point had flaked clear across the roller. The lobes under the other three failing lifters were still in pristine condition.

SORRY FOR THE THREADJACKING!!!
Not a problem, this is all a very good discussion of "lifters" in general and why some fail, and the causes. Keep the convo up, I'm sure this is helping out a lot of people!

As for some more information...what is case hardening on a cam? I just got a custom ground cam and don't know if it has any case hardening? Otherwise the cam looks great! Very well cut...thanks to EDC !

Adrian
Old 12-15-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
what is case hardening on a cam? I just got a custom ground cam and don't know if it has any case hardening?
Plenty of info on case hardening (courtesy of wikipedia)

Case hardening or Surface hardening is the process of hardening the surface of steel whilst leaving the interior unchanged. The idea behind case hardening is to have two different types of steel in the same item. This allows a relatively soft, tough core of a component to be combined with a hard (but potentially brittle) surface. Case hardening improves the wear resistance of machine parts without affecting the tough interior of the parts. Many processes are available for surface hardening.

Both carbon and alloy steels are suitable for case-hardening providing their carbon content is low, usually less than 0.2%. Case hardened steel is usually formed by diffusing carbon and/or nitrogen into the outer layer of the steel at high temperature.

The term case hardening is derived from the practicalities of the process itself. The steel work piece (e.g. a firing pin, the head of a rifle bolt, or an engine cam shaft) is placed inside a case packed tight with a carbon-based case hardening compound. This is also known as a carburizing pack. The pack is put inside a hot furnace for a variable length of time. Time and temperature determines how deep into the surface the hardening extends. However, the depth of hardening is ultimately limited by the inability of carbon to diffuse deeply into solid steel and a typical depth of surface hardening with this method is up to 1.5mm.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
If someone can take a picture of a lifter out of a 72432 box then I should be able to identify.

Click the pics for hi-resolution versions:

Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by EDC
Well I think Erik may be mistaken..

Check this out for the real story...

http://www.HardcoreLS1.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=353

Ed
Ed, what do the Lunati hydraulic roller lifters you have look like? I have seen quite a few of these lifters. Just wondering which Lunati hydraulic roller lifters you are talking about. I was told by several others about these and then simply looked at what I saw. I can post some pics later but I have to go and get some sleep tonight.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyone have pics of the Morel Hydraulic rollers they can post?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Click the pics for hi-resolution versions:

It does look exactly like a Morel, so I can see why some would think it is. I have forwarded the pics to Morel and will see what I can find out.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I just got off the phone with Lunati's tech support (662 892-1500) and they said the 72432 is in fact made by Morel. They also recommend 0.040-0.045" cold preload.

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Anyone have pics of the Morel Hydraulic rollers they can post?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Morel called and they are going to look into where this lifter is coming from.. . it is not coming from Morel.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Morel called and they are going to look into where this lifter is coming from.. . it is not coming from Morel.
Hmmmm....

That's what I heard too...

Looks like we may have another "overseas" R&D piece (Rip-off & Duplicate)

I'll stick with the genuine article, thank you!

Ed
Old 12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Chris & Ed,
How much does a Morel weigh off the shelf? I'll be heading to the post office in a few minutes and will have them weigh one of these Lunati's I have. Also, is there any other comparo you guys would like to run on these? I'd prefere not to tear down a lifter, but now is the most opportune time.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only thing I have is a set of Morel BBC lifters that are bound for my 496CID boat engine. These are the link bar type. I will see if I can get a gram weight.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

TA,
140gms on the Morel. This is without any pre-soaking in oil. Sorry I remembered someone who had a set not yet installed.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Just got back from the post office - I get 4.9oz or 139 grams.

Anyword on Lunati's supplier yet?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, this is turning interesting....So, now we know that the Morel lifter is not manufactured by Morel. Hopefully Cstraub will get a supplier name for us...that would be great! Then we just need the supplier for the Lunati's, although they say they come from Morel, its looking as though it may just come from the same manufacturer. =D

Good News!
Adrian

Could you help me understand where you got that from?

Last edited by TAQuickness; 12-16-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I was told by some people in the know ( w2w and in the ls1 book by Will Handzel) to use the more desirable 2001 and later fully encapsulated lifter, meaning the body of the lifter completely surrounds the roller. Otherwise I would use aftermarket ones as I had to. For some some reason my 2002 didn't have them.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

a lil off topic but does it matter which way the lifter oil hole faces, front or rear?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We use and sell this lifter in a lot of builds with great results. Not too many companies out there actuall produce their own lifter. A little more since High lift went under a few years ago.

This lifter is the Morel lifter.

http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/pc-89-1...-3-engine.aspx
Old 12-16-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, this is turning interesting....So, now we know that the Morel lifter is not manufactured by Morel. Hopefully Cstraub will get a supplier name for us...that would be great! Then we just need the supplier for the Lunati's, although they say they come from Morel, its looking as though it may just come from the same manufacturer. =D

Good News!
Adrian
Adrian,
I have no idea where you came up with this point. I know for a FACT Morel mfg all of its parts here in the USA, is a manufacturer, and makes one of the finest products out there. I have stood in the plant on 3 occasions and witnessed the CNC's, grinders, gear hobs, and screw machines working. I have also been in the furnace control room to see how their heat treat facility monitors it's functions. To have 80K sq ft of machines and 60 plus employees standing around as a pharse must make great business sense.

In addition, Morel ( Gear Co) has been in business for over 60 years and has been a supplier to the OEMS for over 50. The company has slowly seen its contracts shipped overseas to foreign labor. In a attempt to keep American workers off of the unemployment line, Morel got into the automotive aftermarket with an old style approach, hands on company owner under the hood trying to improve parts. It is an absolute insult to Morel for you to even post WTF you did.

Futhermore my reputation at the end of the day is all I have. I don't come on these boards as a "keyboard Rambo" and post BS. I work in this industry, have alot of contacts and have a good grasp of what goes on. If I tell you something you can take it to the bank. Morel has nothing to gain by lying to me, but would have a lot to loose.

As far as I am concerned if your type of post is what is going to posted, then as far as me helping the the board find out what is what I am done. I am satisfied with what is and what isn't.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 89ws6formula50
a lil off topic but does it matter which way the lifter oil hole faces, front or rear?
no sir it doesn't
Old 12-16-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrian,
I have no idea where you came up with this point. I know for a FACT Morel mfg all of its parts here in the USA, is a manufacturer, and makes one of the finest products out there. I have stood in the plant on 3 occasions and witnessed the CNC's, grinders, gear hobs, and screw machines working. I have also been in the furnace control room to see how their heat treat facility monitors it's functions. To have 80K sq ft of machines and 60 plus employees standing around as a pharse must make great business sense.

In addition, Morel ( Gear Co) has been in business for over 60 years and has been a supplier to the OEMS for over 50. The company has slowly seen its contracts shipped overseas to foreign labor. In a attempt to keep American workers off of the unemployment line, Morel got into the automotive aftermarket with an old style approach, hands on company owner under the hood trying to improve parts. It is an absolute insult to Morel for you to even post WTF you did.

Futhermore my reputation at the end of the day is all I have. I don't come on these boards as a "keyboard Rambo" and post BS. I work in this industry, have alot of contacts and have a good grasp of what goes on. If I tell you something you can take it to the bank. Morel has nothing to gain by lying to me, but would have a lot to loose.

As far as I am concerned if your type of post is what is going to posted, then as far as me helping the the board find out what is what I am done. I am satisfied with what is and what isn't.
PLEASE calm down sir. Right now everything is speculation. Do you know if the Lunati lifter is made by Morel? I assume you work at or own the Morel factory? If so, that is GREAT, because we need someone to give a 100% positive answer. Alot of us come off as knowing (or thinking we know everything) everything because this is what we eat, breathe, and sleep, but we are ALWAYS in the quest for information that maybe you might be able to give us.

*edit*- I just remembered you are the one helping Mester with his engine/top end. Did you give SDPC a call to tell them how to do it? I cannot wait to see the results from that beast!

Quick Reply: To upgrade or not upgrade STOCK Lifters