Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new injectors? New Maf or TB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need new injectors? New Maf or TB?

How do you know when you need new injectors? bigger ones i mean... I wanna do H/C setup on the car and dont know if I'll need them or not.. Also, do you need a new maf or Tb when doing this or is it only for more performance? Is it highly reccommended? I'm trying to figure out how all tis jazz works thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

your 01 has 28.8 lbs injectors at 4 BAR (58 psi). Good to 450 rwhp with proper pressure at rail.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

You only need a new maf if your stock maf pegs, that is, when your airflow becomes greater than the MAF is designed to measure i.e. when the maf outputs a constant voltage at or above a particular airflow rate, it's pegged. Swapping MAFs without properly calibrating the maf transfer function in the PCM is going backwards. Many aftermarket MAFs that claim a performance gain simply allow more airflow while producing the same voltage output to the PCM, effectively leaning the car off. This works since stock LS1s and especially ones fitted with headers run plenty rich and will gain power from leaning the mixutures. But doing this will throw your trims all out of whack and the power gain will eventually dwindle as the PCM compensates and brings you back to where you started (in terms of A/F).
Old 12-12-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the sticky in the Fueling and Injection section. Also see this link for more info on injector selection:
http://www.msdignition.com/fuel_1.htm
Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by APeteSS
You only need a new maf if your stock maf pegs, that is, when your airflow becomes greater than the MAF is designed to measure i.e. when the maf outputs a constant voltage at or above a particular airflow rate, it's pegged. Swapping MAFs without properly calibrating the maf transfer function in the PCM is going backwards. Many aftermarket MAFs that claim a performance gain simply allow more airflow while producing the same voltage output to the PCM, effectively leaning the car off. This works since stock LS1s and especially ones fitted with headers run plenty rich and will gain power from leaning the mixutures. But doing this will throw your trims all out of whack and the power gain will eventually dwindle as the PCM compensates and brings you back to where you started (in terms of A/F).
Not contradicting you but putting forward one of my recent experiences (that baffled me).

I have wideband O2 guage.

I was running 14.7 stoich and 12.6/7 AFR WOT (nitrous tune), stock MAF.
Then I decided to run my old Granatelli MAF just for kicks.
Instead of going leaner, it went richer.
14.3 stoich and 12.0/12.1 WOT.

That baffled me
Old 12-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Launching!

so the maf and injectors will probably be good... but a new throttle body with more flow... that helps right?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just port your stock one.