Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with a 224/224 cam, are you happy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would true duals make the TR224 on a 112 lopier than a y-pipe setup? How would it compare to say, a hotcam in terms of lope?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Magnet
wait a sec....you only have 316/297 with a cam???
No kidding...find a new tuner. Those look like bone stock #s to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought the TR224, it was the cam that everyone talked about. Now there are moster cams out there.

I was told this advise and wish I followed it :

Find the cam that's right for you in every way, and then go one larger.\\

I cant complaint about the cam because its a really nice cam. But once you get the taste, you wish you went a littler larger.

Last edited by Phil'sC5vette; 12-31-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
When I bought the TR224, it was the cam that everyone talked about. Now there are moster cams out there.

Fine the came that's right for you in every way, and then go one larger.\\

I cant complaint about the cam because its a really nice can. But ince you get the taste, you wish you went a littler larger.

Unless you're trying to pass emissions.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cant complaint about the cam because its a really nice can. But ince you get the taste, you wish you went a littler larger.

Is yours on a 112 or 114?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 224 cam in my car. It was a lot of fun for stoplight to stoplight action, and it was extremely streetable. I then decided to go with a G5X3 cam, and couldnt be happier. Im glad I went bigger. The sound is awesome, and it pulls for days. Personally, I wish I had went with the G5X3 in the first place. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a drag queen or a daily driver? This makes all the difference. Do you want to spin the motor to 6800 rpms for peak hp or do you want great torque avg? My torque avg is 366 ft lbs with 420 max. None of those so called bigger and better cams can do that, and in a full weight street car it makes a big difference. You CAN run a big cam but it doesn't mean that your maximizing it usage or even your cars potential. The baddest cam out there is the trex and even the people who make it will tell you not to run it on the street its not designed for that. I recently had a cam spec'ed out per my mods and shifting desires and the biggest they came up with was a 226 w/.550 lift. Thats shifting at 5900 rpms and rev limter at 6500 rpms. 226 duration is the biggest they recommend even with my ported and polished heads. Peak hp numbers dont mean **** in a street car. "Think about what you want to do and then go bigger"?!? LMAO! -- What your saying here is get the perfect cam scoped out for your application and then buy the wrong cam. IF I need more power than what I have, and I havent lost on the street yet, I have the nitrous for a backup. IF I had a drag queen I'd run the trex with a big stall, 9 inch rear hands down. As far as pulling all day, with my torque its more like a ride in a fighter jet. Torque is what makes the difference, without it the hp isnt going anywhere.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

You need a better tune, your numbers are very low. Get it tuned right and you'll see a big difference. On a so-so "canned" tune I put down 375/375, before heads. With your mods you should equal or better that.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

I had the TR 224 114LSA and loved it. Very streetable and had great gains. I dropped .4 -.5sec in the quarter and gained 3 -4mph. Great first cam.

Last edited by 5LETR; 12-16-2005 at 01:18 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Cam specs in sig. I really like this camshaft. Pulls hard on the e-way and is very civilized for daily driving. It lets you use 6th gear with the a/c on at freeway speeds with very minimal surging if any at all.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:09 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Is it a drag queen or a daily driver? This makes all the difference. Do you want to spin the motor to 6800 rpms for peak hp or do you want great torque avg? My torque avg is 366 ft lbs with 420 max. None of those so called bigger and better cams can do that, and in a full weight street car it makes a big difference. You CAN run a big cam but it doesn't mean that your maximizing it usage or even your cars potential. The baddest cam out there is the trex and even the people who make it will tell you not to run it on the street its not designed for that. I recently had a cam spec'ed out per my mods and shifting desires and the biggest they came up with was a 226 w/.550 lift. Thats shifting at 5900 rpms and rev limter at 6500 rpms. 226 duration is the biggest they recommend even with my ported and polished heads. Peak hp numbers dont mean **** in a street car. "Think about what you want to do and then go bigger"?!? LMAO! -- What your saying here is get the perfect cam scoped out for your application and then buy the wrong cam. IF I need more power than what I have, and I havent lost on the street yet, I have the nitrous for a backup. IF I had a drag queen I'd run the trex with a big stall, 9 inch rear hands down. As far as pulling all day, with my torque its more like a ride in a fighter jet. Torque is what makes the difference, without it the hp isnt going anywhere.
I agree totally, too many people are caught up in numbers, especially peak HP numbers. You need to buy the best cam for the way you want the car to perform, not bragging rights. Besides, I don't want to have to scream my engine out to 6,500 every time I want it to go somewhere.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is on the 114 LSA. I passed NY and Virginia sniffer test with the cam and all the bolt ons with plent of room to spare. A good tune will help alot. This year Va begins ODBII only inspection lol.

I figure this, with the bolt ons and the TR224, I right at about the same RWHP as a stock 2002-2004 Z06 with a convertible

see sig for numbers
Old 12-16-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i enjoyed the torque from the cam but the valvetrain noise was a bit too much for my tastes.. did everything to quiet it down w/o going to new rockers and then finally pulled it..much quieter now..cams for sale now if anyones in the market
-kevin
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchannelkev
i enjoyed the torque from the cam but the valvetrain noise was a bit too much for my tastes.. did everything to quiet it down w/o going to new rockers and then finally pulled it..much quieter now..cams for sale now if anyones in the market
-kevin

Is there something about this cam that causes more valvetrain noise than other cams? Does anyone have any soundclips of it on a 112?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Mine is on the 114 LSA. I passed NY and Virginia sniffer test with the cam and all the bolt ons with plent of room to spare. A good tune will help alot. This year Va begins ODBII only inspection lol.

I figure this, with the bolt ons and the TR224, I right at about the same RWHP as a stock 2002-2004 Z06 with a convertible

see sig for numbers
Thats cool, just so you know that you can get better numbers with a good tune. You have good mods to support that cam.
I messed up when stating my numbers. My avg torque is 366 on a mustang dyno which is more like 386 on a dyno jet. And please stop calling it a good first cam, you make the right choice the first time and its your only cam.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Banned

-kevin
Theres a guy in the nw section looking for a used tr224.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Teching In

-kevin
I couldn't have said it better! I had a 224 / 224 .567 .567 +4 on a 115. I loved the cam but didn't like the valvetrain noise especially around 2000 to 2200 rpm's. I didn't have 400 miles on it and I pulled it and went back to stock. Next setup is a set of lightly ported Z06 heads , .040 Cometic's and a 216 / 220 .525 .532 on a 114. Hoping to get away without the valvetrain noise.

Mark
Old 12-16-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=99blancoSS] Entry level cam? Ok another joker.
IF its a 1/4 mile car then you want to go bigger. If its a daily driver then its perfect.

why not both? im going bigger and its perfect as it is but it'll be faster and drive just as good...and believe those HPE guys can tune
Old 12-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=SSilverSSurfer]
Entry level cam? Ok another joker.
IF its a 1/4 mile car then you want to go bigger. If its a daily driver then its perfect.

why not both? im going bigger and its perfect as it is but it'll be faster and drive just as good...and believe those HPE guys can tune
What is the car going to be doing more of ? Like I said you can have your peak hp all you want if your going to keep the rpms up in the range to get that power, but unless you are its pointless to say I have a big cam with yada peak hp when you dont ever acheive it when your driving the car. Thats the whole thing about the two different applications. The higher the duration the more you move the power band up in the rpm range, which is cool if your going to drive it in that range. But most newbies on here who might see the track twice or 4 times a year wont benefit from having a big cam in thier daily driver. I really dont care what anyone puts in their car, lets just keep the facts straight about it.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Theres a guy in the nw section looking for a used tr224.
thanks ill check it out.. im running a ls6 cam until i decide on another cam, (it was avail and i wanted to drive my non tank sounding car) and now its just a calm sewing machine.. but very light

Quick Reply: Those with a 224/224 cam, are you happy?