Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropping the hammer from a roll...............

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropping the hammer from a roll.........SMOKE......

While cruising on the highway, what would cause a cloud of smoke to come out for just that first second after I punch it. But after the initial punch its clean as can be. Than if I slow down and hit it again from a cruise speed, there is no smoke. Just seems to happen on the first one.

The color seems to be white-ish but maybe its a little dark. Its certyainly not black though.

Last edited by Quickin; 12-26-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

its PCV, valve seals or piston rings in that order if its oil smoke. Somehow oil is getting itno the combustion chamber and those are the only three ways. If you dont have the Z06 PCV its a good upgrade. You could do a leakdown to check the others. Personally I wouldnt worry about a little blue oil smoke. You are driving a racecar! Im sure you can tell if its antifreeze (smell, fluid level etc)

Its tuning (plugs, programming, ignition) if its black.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
its PCV, valve seals or piston rings in that order if its oil smoke. Somehow oil is getting itno the combustion chamber and those are the only three ways. If you dont have the Z06 PCV its a good upgrade. You could do a leakdown to check the others. Personally I wouldnt worry about a little blue oil smoke. You are driving a racecar! Im sure you can tell if its antifreeze (smell, fluid level etc)

Its tuning (plugs, programming, ignition) if its black.
I think its valve seals than. I have no air coming from the crankcase through the oil fill cap when its at like 2,000rpm in park. I have the LS6 valley cover and catch can. I just changed the plugs last week and its running like a champ.

I also get pure black soot that builds up on my bumper right over each tailpipe. It takes about 1 week to start getting real noticable after I clean it off.
What is that all about?

Old 12-27-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

If you have ported heads make sure there is some sort of sealant on the rocker arm bolt, or oil will run down it into the intake port of the head.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like your tune is off then.

Check inside the intake for oil. Flashlight..long swab.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Not going to be the valve seals, it would smoke on start up if it were not just the one time going WOT.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens on alot of cars, doesnt mean theres anything wrong. If its black, then your running on the rich side which is safer for the motor. and if its just a puff, then you just cleared out the motor that had some carbon build up.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Not going to be the valve seals, it would smoke on start up if it were not just the one time going WOT.

The first start of the morning I can see very faint puffs of white smoke coming out for about the first 20 seconds, than it stops and its clear.

Also, if I sit and idle in "park" and give it a good rev I'll get that same cloud of white-ish smoke, but if I rev it some more its almost all gone, just a little on each rev after the first.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Sounds like your tune is off then.

Check inside the intake for oil. Flashlight..long swab.
I looked at my TB plate the other day when changed my spark plugs (had the lid and maf off so I wouldn't crack anything laying over the motor) and it did have some black soot/oil like stuff on the bottom half of the plate when closed. I opened the plate and rubbed my finger as far in as I could and I felt the same black soot/oil stuff, very little but it was there.

What fixes this?

Last edited by Quickin; 12-27-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by felton316
If you have ported heads make sure there is some sort of sealant on the rocker arm bolt, or oil will run down it into the intake port of the head.
I wouldn't know where to begin to do that. I guess I should get a new tune and than I can have that checked.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm willing to bet a tune would take care of this. Then, if your tune is right on, it's running like a champ, and u're still gettin the smoke on the first hammer drop... I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't smell antifreeze (and your coolant levels don't diminish over time) you should be alright. It's nothing to really worry about. Just get the tune.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I'm willing to bet a tune would take care of this. Then, if your tune is right on, it's running like a champ, and u're still gettin the smoke on the first hammer drop... I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't smell antifreeze (and your coolant levels don't diminish over time) you should be alright. It's nothing to really worry about. Just get the tune.
Uh-oh.....my coolant needs to be re-filled every 3-4 days. Its always about 2 cups low when I refill it.

There is no exterior visual leaking anywhere, its been checked by two shops and the dealership. Everyone guesses its leaking into a cylinder from a partially blown head gasket.

Can this cause that smoke when I punch it?

Can it cause the pure black soot too?

It is running perfect, quiet, smooth and strong as hell though.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, if you're losing that much coolant than yes, good chance it's coolant in the chamber from a headgasket. Look at the oil, is it milky like a milkshake? When you say checked, did they pressurize the system or visually look?

And this:

"

I wouldn't know where to begin to do that. I guess I should get a new tune and than I can have that checked."

It's really simple. You take off the valve covers, remove only the intake rocker bolts, put sealant on the threads and a little dab of locktite under the washer. Re-tighten to 22 ft/lbs.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Uh-oh.....my coolant needs to be re-filled every 3-4 days. Its always about 2 cups low when I refill it.

There is no exterior visual leaking anywhere, its been checked by two shops and the dealership. Everyone guesses its leaking into a cylinder from a partially blown head gasket.

Can this cause that smoke when I punch it?

Can it cause the pure black soot too?

It is running perfect, quiet, smooth and strong as hell though.

Uh oh, not good. Coolant is definitely getting into the combustion chambers. Whoever "checked" it didn't do a good job at all. The only way to check without pulling the heads is to check the oil for being milky or seeing the white smoke coming out of the exhaust. If I were you I'd pull the heads and check it out.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

The oil is normal color, dark. There is this sludgy looking black stuff that is on the rubber seal of the radiator cap, and a few little pieces around the filler neck. Looks like the scum that you would find in a refrigerator pan. I pick it off with my fingers and flick it onto the ground.

But no white stuff at all, ever.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Viper
Dude, if you're losing that much coolant than yes, good chance it's coolant in the chamber from a headgasket. Look at the oil, is it milky like a milkshake? When you say checked, did they pressurize the system or visually look?

And this:

"

I wouldn't know where to begin to do that. I guess I should get a new tune and than I can have that checked."

It's really simple. You take off the valve covers, remove only the intake rocker bolts, put sealant on the threads and a little dab of locktite under the washer. Re-tighten to 22 ft/lbs.
What's a fair price to pay a shop to do this?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$65 per hour, figure 2 hours. Most shops around here charge that.

Regarding the oil, you need to drain it and look at it. The sludge is a sign as well although for me I can get sludge buildup by driving in the winter and not heating it up for over 20 minutes.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Viper
$65 per hour, figure 2 hours. Most shops around here charge that.

Regarding the oil, you need to drain it and look at it. The sludge is a sign as well although for me I can get sludge buildup by driving in the winter and not heating it up for over 20 minutes.
The black sludgy small pieces are in the coolant, not the oil. I change the oil myself and when I drain it into the pan I never see anything but old dark oil, nothing sludgy or milky white. Pretty much a normal appearance at 3,000 miles.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

white smoke = antifreeze. This is confirmed by you losing coolant. First thing you need to do is get a cooling system pressurization test and go from there. You have something leaking coolant into the combustion chambers, really that means cracked heads/block or leaky head gasket. You are probably going to have to pull the heads either way, and inspect the gasket (pray its the gasket).
Old 12-28-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by magius231
white smoke = antifreeze. This is confirmed by you losing coolant. First thing you need to do is get a cooling system pressurization test and go from there. You have something leaking coolant into the combustion chambers, really that means cracked heads/block or leaky head gasket. You are probably going to have to pull the heads either way, and inspect the gasket (pray its the gasket).
If its a cracked head/block would it still run so perfectly? I had some horrible, outrageously loud detonation over the summer when it would get hot with the A/C "on", so most likely its the gasket.

Will the pressure test determine which of the 3 things it is 100% for sure?

If I'm only loosing a cup of coolant per day at most how can it make such a cloud behind me, I would think a few ounces of coolant would get diluted easily in the mix.

NO antifreeze here.....just straight water. So how can just water even make a cloud?