Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped sleeve...anyone got a picture

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way we did our sleeves, it is virtually imposible to drop a sleeve.. The sleeve is sitting on 2 flats we machine into the block, one at the deck and one at the bottom of the bore. Also the ARE blocks are all dry sleeves. I would think a head gasket is blown. If you start the car and look in the rad cap, can you see the coolant kinda of pulsating to the motor? This would mean its pushing past the gasket and pressurising the rad. Do a leak down test, and that should narrow it down... Let me know.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kossuth
Honestly, I highly highly doubt it is a sleeve. A dropped sleeve will DESTROY the engine. Think about it this way. You have a large cube motor with a large stroke, they had to clearance the sleeve/bore for the rods and rod bolts as it is. If it (the sleeve) came any lower, the rods would smash into the bores. The engine would have torn itself apart. It sounds like it is eithor a bad head gasket, cracked block, bad seal around a sleeve, or a cracked head. Is any coolant in the pan? I wouldn't run it anymore until you find the source of the problem. Coolant in the oiling system tears bearings apart. Could even be a crossover tube or the plugs on the heads. Gotta look, don't want to f-up a 5k plus motor.
No coolant in the oil as far as I can see, I do my own oil changes and it looks like normal old oil. What would water in the oil look like after its drained out?

The motor cost me $12K

Behind my car on the ground behind both tail pipes is water spatter marks. It comes out only on start up for a few seconds. Once I started my car than immediately walked to the back and opened my hatch and I felt it spraying on my legs. It really had no smell, just a little dark in color. Not oil either. I always thought it was condensation inside the exhaust from sitting over night. Maybe thats the leaky coolant from the gasket.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SLED28
The way we did our sleeves, it is virtually imposible to drop a sleeve.. The sleeve is sitting on 2 flats we machine into the block, one at the deck and one at the bottom of the bore. Also the ARE blocks are all dry sleeves. I would think a head gasket is blown. If you start the car and look in the rad cap, can you see the coolant kinda of pulsating to the motor? This would mean its pushing past the gasket and pressurising the rad. Do a leak down test, and that should narrow it down... Let me know.
Hey, whats up?

This rebuild you guys did for me has been friggin great man. The engine has been strong as *****, quiet and smooth since day one.

I was wondering why builders wouldn't machine a little step into the block for the sleeves to sit on, guess you're a few steps ahead on that one.

But I think I did blow a head gasket now that you (and the others) pretty much confirmed the sleeve couldn't have dropped any. I had alot of heating trouble this summer when I would run my A/C, the engine would run perfectly cool, zero detonation, on a hot *** day in traffic. But the second I turned the A/C on it would go right past the 210 degree mark in a matter of 4-5 minutes and the detonation was UNFUGGINBELIEVABLE. I would turn the A/C off and it would all the way back down under the 155 degree mark and run perfect again. I think I blew a gasket than.

I'm gonna have to have someone replace my gaskets I guess. Because other than adding a little water every few days, the engine is running like a gem.

Thanks Sled.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check to see if the fans were instantly coming on when the A/C was turned on? If th eA/C is on, one fan should always be on. Maybe that one isn't working causing you to over heat. Really sounds like a slightly blown gasket. Like the others said, have a leak down done so you know which side it is on.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Don't forget if its a head gasket blown, you will need to mill the head, maybe 5 thou just to clean it up. Might have to do both sides, but pull all the rockers off, then do the LD test.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't forget if its a head gasket blown, you will need to mill the head, maybe 5 thou just to clean it up. Might have to do both sides, but pull all the rockers off, then do the LD test.

Will-do, thanks.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Did you check to see if the fans were instantly coming on when the A/C was turned on? If th eA/C is on, one fan should always be on. Maybe that one isn't working causing you to over heat. Really sounds like a slightly blown gasket. Like the others said, have a leak down done so you know which side it is on.

When I turn my A/C on, both fans come on "high" and stay on the entire time. I had a thread about this and everyone tried to help me figure it out, I tried everything that this site could dish out. I just can't figure it out. The only way I can use my A/C in the middle of the summer down here is if I'm cruising on the highway steadily, then it will stay cool enough not to have any detonation.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you still have the factory fan settings, and what degree thermostat is in it? Sounds like your tuning is at max timing for a givin low temp, and when the motor becomes heated, it detonates. The timing may need to be backed off some, or a 160* t-stat installed and fans programmed accordinglly, if not already done.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Do you still have the factory fan settings, and what degree thermostat is in it? Sounds like your tuning is at max timing for a givin low temp, and when the motor becomes heated, it detonates. The timing may need to be backed off some, or a 160* t-stat installed and fans programmed accordinglly, if not already done.
Mike Norris tuned it and said that isn't the problem. I have a 160 degree stat in there and I pulled it out and it works fine. It doesn't just get hot, my friends scanner showed 235 degrees when the needle is on the 210 mark. When I turn my A/C on in the city the needle will go right past the 210 mark in 4-5 minutes and keep on going if I let it.

The only thing I haven't tried is installing a brand new condensor. I really don't know what else to try.

As far as the fans go. I've gone for a ride, let it get hot and every minute or so I would pull over to check if the fans were on, and they run on high the entire time. It still gets hot.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

I would pull the spark plugs out of the motor and see if one looks different than the others. Also on the cooling issue I had a mustang that had ford racing underdrive pulleys and had similar problems, went back to stock pulleys cooling issue went away. I guess it could also be a volume issue with the radiator if it is a stock radiator.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by aux_fast_cam
I would pull the spark plugs out of the motor and see if one looks different than the others. Also on the cooling issue I had a mustang that had ford racing underdrive pulleys and had similar problems, went back to stock pulleys cooling issue went away. I guess it could also be a volume issue with the radiator if it is a stock radiator.
Here's another mystery about the cooling issue. My engine when it was first built by ARE never did this, it always ran cool no matter what.

It was rebuilt, installed and now I have this problem.

So it wasn't there before and everything is the same pulley-wise and other-wise.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

The overheating could be several things: Poor or no coolant, Improper coolant level/mix, bad fan, missing fan shroud, partially clogged radiator (have flushed), bad water pump (possibly a broken impeller. check last) . In the A/C it could have a bunch of junk between the condenser and radiator. Maybe get a flush? But I still bet it has to do with the gasket, did you check the rad cap to see if the level moves if you give it some revs in neutral?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

The overheating could be several things: Poor or no coolant, Improper coolant level/mix, bad fan, missing fan shroud, partially clogged radiator (have flushed), bad water pump (possibly a broken impeller. check last) . In the A/C it could have a bunch of junk between the condenser and radiator. Maybe get a flush? But I still bet it has to do with the gasket, did you check the rad cap to see if the level moves if you give it some revs in neutral?
Yes, the level goes down, then back up if I rev it while its in park.

All those other things you listed were checked by me, the dealer and a radiator shop. Everything looks good. I don't know about the impeller though, but with the A/C off the engine runs very very cool even in traffic on a very hot day. Its just as soon as that A/C is turned on, all hell breaks loose, and fast too.

I;m going to flush the radiator tomorrow and fix that damn pulley that flew off tonight.

Thanks. Did you get my PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

But I still bet it has to do with the gasket, did you check the rad cap to see if the level moves if you give it some revs in neutral?
Hmmmmm, if I rev it in "park" with the engine cold, t-stat closed and the cooling system is getting pressurized from the revs, shouldn't the coolant come up and shoot out of the radiator?

If the engine is at operating temp with the t-stat open, shouldn't it also shoot up and out?

I don't understand the pulsating thing?

When should I do this...cold or hot?

Old 01-05-2006, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

The pulsating means the cylinder compression is getting into the coolant, pretty much telling us its a gasket issue... Thats where your coolant is going.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

The pulsating means the cylinder compression is getting into the coolant, pretty much telling us its a gasket issue... Thats where your coolant is going.
I see, I guess its a gasket than.

Can casual driving damage the head or block. I can't get this thing to Mike Norris just yet.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't drive it unless totally neccesary...If the gasket gets worse and the motor takes a big gulp of coolant, you could hydraulic the motor.
Wade is thinking the overheating could be an airlock because your 2 sensors are reading different temps...
Old 01-05-2006, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Lyle, clear out your inbox. thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Lyle, clear out your inbox. thanks
sorry, its done.

Whats the best way to flush my coolant system? I went to the auto parts store and couldn't find any type of flush fluid or flush kit.

Last edited by Quickin; 01-05-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:37 PM
FormerVendor

Lyle, clean it out again!