Old 01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropped sleeve...anyone got a picture

Just curious what this means exactly?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

ok...how about a short, but detailed explanation of what takes place?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the sleeve ends up below the deck.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, sleeve slides downward into the crank area of the block.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

How far can it go?

If this is what I have wrong, because I'm losing 2-3 cups of coolant every few days, is it dangerous to keep driving my car?

Also, if my engine is running 100% perfect, what would other symptoms be of a dropped sleeve?

Old 01-03-2006, 11:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you've had your motor for years now right? if a sleave was gong to to drop it would of done it by now and you'd of blown a head gasket.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Weren't you asking about smoke in your exaust the other day? Maybe it is slowly leaking into your cylinders from a blown gasket????
Old 01-04-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
you've had your motor for years now right? if a sleave was gong to to drop it would of done it by now and you'd of blown a head gasket.
It was rebuilt May 2004 by ARE. Started losing coolant about 3 months ago. Well, I'm hoping that all I have is a slightly blown head gasket from some detonation I had during the summer when my engine got hot a few times, but it was brought to my attention that losing coolant could also be from a dropped sleeve.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Weren't you asking about smoke in your exaust the other day? Maybe it is slowly leaking into your cylinders from a blown gasket????
Yeah, white smoke when I go WOT. But I'm only losing 2-3 cups every few days, that would mean I'm losing very little really. I would think that if I'm cruising on the highway whatever water is dribbling into a cylinder is getting completely burned up, and when I hit the gas there wouldn't be enough to make a big cloud of smoke.

Unless it sucks alot of coolant through while I'm going WOT?

Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Symptoms of a dropped sleeve other than visual usually include burning coolant, burning oil, and oil in the coolant, or vice versa.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Symptoms of a dropped sleeve other than visual usually include burning coolant, burning oil, and oil in the coolant, or vice versa.
what does oil in the coolant look like? Will it just darken the coolant overall or is it little clumped up pieces floating around.

Can oil get into the coolant from just a blown head gasket?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quickin
what does oil in the coolant look like? Will it just darken the coolant overall or is it little clumped up pieces floating around.

Can oil get into the coolant from just a blown head gasket?
I believe oil would float to the top of the coolant, like cooking oil in water, especially when cold. I am not sure if oil is soluable in coolant, haven't really tried it out before. Oil can probably get into the coolant with a blown head gasket, but it would be more typical for coolant to get in the oil I imagine. It would depend on where the gasket blew. Is there any coolant leaking down the side of the block? Any signs of low coolant? A blown head gasket can leak coolant into the cylinder to be burned, resulting in more "steam" out of the exhaust than normal.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I believe oil would float to the top of the coolant, like cooking oil in water, especially when cold. I am not sure if oil is soluable in coolant, haven't really tried it out before. Oil can probably get into the coolant with a blown head gasket, but it would be more typical for coolant to get in the oil I imagine. It would depend on where the gasket blew. Is there any coolant leaking down the side of the block? Any signs of low coolant? A blown head gasket can leak coolant into the cylinder to be burned, resulting in more "steam" out of the exhaust than normal.
No coolant anywhere on the outside, but I'm adding a few cups every few days.

There's little clumps of black stuff like gum when I open the radiator cap. Stuck to the cap seal and around the filler neck. When I grab a piece it feels gushy and slimy. When I change my oil there is no coolant in it. Theres also light, faint puffs of smoke that come from my tailpipes that dissipate instantly.

Damn, I hope its not oil in my coolant, maybe I did drop a sleeve. But how long can it run with a dropped sleeve if it is?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

No coolant anywhere on the outside, but I'm adding a few cups every few days.

There's little clumps of black stuff like gum when I open the radiator cap. Stuck to the cap seal and around the filler neck. When I grab a piece it feels gushy and slimy. When I change my oil there is no coolant in it. Theres also light, faint puffs of smoke that come from my tailpipes that dissipate instantly.

Damn, I hope its not oil in my coolant, maybe I did drop a sleeve. But how long can it run with a dropped sleeve if it is?
You can probably drive a long time with a dropped sleeve. But its not good for the motor to say the least. Sounds like you have a gasket or sleeve issue, especially if you have black crap in the coolant... I would pull the heads and check it out.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that depending on how far this sleeve was supposed to have dropped that the rings would catch on the lip of the sleeve causing a catastrophic engine failure. I think it would be a miracle for an engine to run properly other that some white smoke from the tail pipe at low RPM. Look more closely at the head gasket option.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
I would think that depending on how far this sleeve was supposed to have dropped that the rings would catch on the lip of the sleeve causing a catastrophic engine failure. I think it would be a miracle for an engine to run properly other that some white smoke from the tail pipe at low RPM. Look more closely at the head gasket option.
Can they just slip a little bit and stop, or does every dropped sleeve drop the same distance?

Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I highly highly doubt it is a sleeve. A dropped sleeve will DESTROY the engine. Think about it this way. You have a large cube motor with a large stroke, they had to clearance the sleeve/bore for the rods and rod bolts as it is. If it (the sleeve) came any lower, the rods would smash into the bores. The engine would have torn itself apart. It sounds like it is eithor a bad head gasket, cracked block, bad seal around a sleeve, or a cracked head. Is any coolant in the pan? I wouldn't run it anymore until you find the source of the problem. Coolant in the oiling system tears bearings apart. Could even be a crossover tube or the plugs on the heads. Gotta look, don't want to f-up a 5k plus motor.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:01 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

How far can it go?

If this is what I have wrong, because I'm losing 2-3 cups of coolant every few days, is it dangerous to keep driving my car?

Also, if my engine is running 100% perfect, what would other symptoms be of a dropped sleeve?

One of mine dropped ever so slightly!! You couldn't see it, you had to use a straight edge and a light. Who did your block? I have lots of info on sleeved blocks. Andy. 630-531-5666.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is probably a head gasket. Much more likely than dropping a sleeve after a year with no issues. As someone said, sleeves usually drop right away. Also, ARE is very good at sleeving blocks.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Do a compression check so you only have to pull the head with the blown gasket.