I reallllly f'ed up now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lithium
Do these instructions sound good???

Feel free to add anything as well

Here goes:
1. Jack the front of the car up on jack-stands.
2. Take the front tires off.
(Optional) Take the radiator out. For more room.
3. Take the Alternator, A/C compressor w/ bracket off.
4. Unbolt all of the bolts for the pan. 10 pan bolts, 2 tranny mount bolts.
5. Use a small piece of wood and the jack, and put the wood under the crank pully and jack get ready to jack the motor up.
6. Unbolt and take out both motor mount bolts.
7. With the A4 take out the one nut going across the tranny mount. I'm not sure what it is on the T56. Sorry.
8. Push the motor up out of the motor mounts and leave it there.
9. Unbolt the 3 bolts that are visible inside the fenderwell. The one on the back is sometimes difficult to see (it has a washer on it). There are three on each side.
DO NOT UNBOLT ANY OF THE SHOCK TOWER BOLTS! They are what is holding the suspension on.
10. Make sure the motor is secure. Mine fell because the wood broke! SO MAKE SURE IT IS SECURE!!!!
11. Wedge a pry bar or something (I used the handle to the jack) between
the frame and the location of the smallest bolt (the one with the washer on it) and push the k-member down.

Once you have done that, the oil pan should just about fall out. Get ready for the fall, it might crack the pan.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO TAKE THE BOLT OUT OF THE OIL PUMP!!! The pick-up tube is bolted in two places.
I just had to do this because my pick-up tube was packed with stuff.(Paper towel or something!)
This method worked great for me, Hope it will help someone else.
I'm just a regular guy without any kind of lift or any kind of money to pay someone to do it.
I've R&Red my oil pan two times now and that's basically the process I used, but half the stuff he tells you to remove is just a complete waste of time. You don't need to remove the radiator or wheels. The alternator and A/C compressor are only if you can't undo the motor mounts with them in the way. I've already taken my mounts off a couple times so I didn't need to remove either. I was also scared sh*tless to place the entire weight of the engine and transmission on the crank snout so I put my jack under the bellhousing. Just try to visualize how the pan will come out before you actually jack up the engine as the first time I didn't think this far ahead and had to go back and start from the beginning after I realized that the jack was going to block the oil pan from coming out. I also needed to disconnect the steering linkage on my car in order to get the k-member to drop a little lower. Hope this helps, and believe it or not dropping the oil pan isn't too hard. I did it by my self the 2nd time in an hour and a half start to finish. Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S.: the method above just lowers the k-member enough to get the pan out. If you're going to replace the rod bolts you might want to drop it completely, though I'm pretty sure it can be done with the k-member on the car.
Old 01-12-2006 | 03:08 AM
11 Second Club

"I never mentioned this you did J/K Josh,happy new year to you & Craig,Ken"

Hahaha.. it's cool brother.. Happy new years to you to man.

Peace,
Josh
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The reason he dosen't have any pressure is because there is a paper towel in the oil pickup in the bottom of the pan. I would not turn this motor over until you are sure you have the towels out. If you removed 3/4 of one, that leaves 1 1/4 left in there. I hate to say it, but that pan needs to come off so you can clean the oil pickup.
Agree. You will need to clean the pump and block and other oil passages to make sure the towel is gone.

Reminds me of the time my oil cooler broke in the radiator. Needed to tear the whole thing down, clean and inspect, and reassemble. At least you don't have to remeasure!

Expensive PITA. I think that is what they call experience.

P.S.
How do you prime an LS1 without an external dry sump? It looks to me as if the crank has to turn for the pump to work.
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Agree. You will need to clean the pump and block and other oil passages to make sure the towel is gone.

Reminds me of the time my oil cooler broke in the radiator. Needed to tear the whole thing down, clean and inspect, and reassemble. At least you don't have to remeasure!

Expensive PITA. I think that is what they call experience.

P.S.
How do you prime an LS1 without an external dry sump? It looks to me as if the crank has to turn for the pump to work.

Unplug the coil packs and turn over the motor till you see the oil pressure gage needle move. It is now primed. Plug in the packs and fire it up and check for oil presure and leaks.
Old 01-12-2006 | 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Unplug the coil packs and turn over the motor till you see the oil pressure gage needle move. It is now primed. Plug in the packs and fire it up and check for oil presure and leaks.
Should pull the fuel pump fuse as well.

Lithium.... mannn, I just came across this. What a boner move I can say that because many may recall when I installed my TR224 a couple teeth off on the timing gear and broke a valve off in the #8 It was a long, arduous journey figuring out what I wanted to do about it. Two engines (a 375ci that crapped on the dyno b/c of a piece of a valve from the old engine somehow got into it) and $8k later, I've got a 408 and tons of invaluable experience from all of it. I learned a great deal that I never would have if my original cam install on the stock block was successful. Not saying it's the only way to learn, but it's one way, and you just gotta roll with it. Good luck man
Old 01-12-2006 | 07:21 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

LMAO seriously. I cant believe I did this ****.

It only ran for 5 seconds. I got most of it out as well, that was just fishing around for it with the pan dropped a little. But once its removed I am praying the rest is just sitting in there.

But yeah I still remember when you fucked up as well, its sucks when **** like this happens. Figures too you know? installed the cam/heads perfect. Then to leave paper towels in the ******* oil pan...Jesus
Old 01-12-2006 | 08:27 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

So theoretically speaking... the car only ran for 5 sec. then I shut it off. How much damage could of come with the 5 sec? I mean I really dont think that with that amount of runtime. The paper towels could traveled that far you know?
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I would say it's still all down in the oil pan b/c I don't think the paper towel got through the pickup tube's screen in that short amount of time. No oil pressure is a good sign at this point b/c it means there is a blockage there. If you had some pressure it would mean that the towel was torn apart and possibly/probably getting up into the engine. As long as you pull the pan and fish out everything you find and clean the screen I think you should be good to go. It's not like you have shards of metal in there. Just make sure you're extra thorough on this one LAST endeavor
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

it's very doubtful the paper towels got past your pick up screen,especially with a oil pump that is not pumping any pressure through it!
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:14 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Seriously...knowing my luck with this whole install though

There was no oil pressure to begin with, thats why I shut it off so soon (like you said)

I have a feeling its the the ls6 pump.

But yeah I have my fingers crossed...what kinda damage we talking here if it sucked up to the engine?
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, this is stupid. Maybe a little laugh for you. Comcast keeps screwing up the HD install for my new plasma TV. I get home from work and I'm pissed. I had to leave work early to meet the incompetent J/A. I walk up to the back door of the house and aim my car FOB at the door and can't understand why the door's not opening. And, I wasn't even drinking. Yikes.
Old 01-16-2006 | 08:13 PM
Restricted User

Any progress getting that pan out?
Old 01-16-2006 | 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Damn Kory, I just came across this thread. Do not take it to a shop, do the work yourself. I know how you feel about working on it so long and you're on your last ounce of patience. Do you have a punching bag? If so, beat the ever living sand out of it until you start punching like a school girl, then get some much needed rest. The next day, start up on your car again and see it through to the end. You'll feel much better knowing that you fixed the problem yourself instead of giving in and taking it to a shop. Plus, they'll probably rape you on the labor. Good luck to you, and let us know how it turns out!
Old 01-16-2006 | 11:25 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by Krab
Damn Kory, I just came across this thread. Do not take it to a shop, do the work yourself. I know how you feel about working on it so long and you're on your last ounce of patience. Do you have a punching bag? If so, beat the ever living sand out of it until you start punching like a school girl, then get some much needed rest. The next day, start up on your car again and see it through to the end. You'll feel much better knowing that you fixed the problem yourself instead of giving in and taking it to a shop. Plus, they'll probably rape you on the labor. Good luck to you, and let us know how it turns out!
Yeah I know. I got to get back out there and get this taken care of.

Just been to lazy lately, I think I am getting my second wind with working on the car though, so thats good.

I will, thanks for the kind words
Old 02-01-2006 | 08:14 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Just a little update here.

Found only one paper towel in the pan...I guess I only had one in there? I could not find any trace of a second towel.

Got the oil pan out...that sucked, but its out.

I got the stock rod bolts out and the Katechs rod bolts in . Took a little longer than I thought but I was able to get it done with the k member lowered a bit and the motor only needed to be jacked up once for the four bolts in the front. Other than that its was an easy swap for me.

Now my other problem - the oil pump. I took the ls6 pump that I bought and took it apart to compare it to the stocker. I found nothing wrong with the ls6 pump...everything seemed fine with it to me. So its got to be something else right?

So I am hoping to get it fired up again tommarow after work - finally!
Old 02-01-2006 | 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bummer, man...

Get as much out as you can and if worse comes to worse, excellent stroker opportunity.
Old 02-01-2006 | 09:08 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah I got all of it out. There is no way that a full paper towel made it through that screen...I must of took one out. I am not really worried about it right now...unless I should be???
Old 02-02-2006 | 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

i was wondering about your progress,hopefully you'll fire her up and the oil pressure is up.
Old 02-02-2006 | 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

i was worried some may have got in the pump or in the passage that goes from the pump to the oil filter. with the pump off, i'd probably take the oil filter off and spray brake clean as best i can and see if anymore pieces come out at the front oil pump galley.

Last edited by slowpoke96z28; 02-02-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2006 | 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Always remember -- Beer AFTER the tools are put away...

But seriously, keep on working on it. Take your time. Think. Double think. Take a break. Think some more. Don't rush it. Do it right, do it once.

Good luck. Remember...Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Quick Reply: I reallllly f'ed up now...