SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahaha dont tell me that
Old 02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lithium
Cool. I ll do that then tommarow.

I am just sketching out about the other towel...where could it of gone? I mean nothing in the filter...nothing in the crank...nothing in the pan...
It is an industry standard practically after a cam install to watch your oil pressure like the CEO of Bounty the quicker pickerupper, especially on a LS1, or LT1. Initially, start her up and run to operating temperature not exceeding 3000rpm for 20 minutes. Why don't you go to the cam install "how to" and read about what they did to your car. Knocking could very well be by a valve lash adjustment that ended up with a bent valve. Your looking at a piston to valve clearance issue possibility. Most likely they had your cam dot to dot unless they went to lunch and figured the other guy did it and it was done. It ran, but pooling of oil in the cylinder heads is a pump issue. Also pump alignment is critical and clearance all the way around the pump should be perfect and checked with a feeler guage. "Yup, that there be a pump! Throw her on and get her done." That is why I do all my own work. Good luck with it. Hope it is something simple, that didn't cause too much damage if any.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Wow Kory, it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting farther away. I can only imagine how frustrated you are of working on your car. Maybe you should take a few days off to get your mind off things. We'll still be here to give you advice when you start working on it again.

Oh, and the compression test sounds like a good idea, that would rule out the bent valves theory.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
It is an industry standard practically after a cam install to watch your oil pressure like the CEO of Bounty the quicker pickerupper, especially on a LS1, or LT1. Initially, start her run up and run to operating temperature not exceeding 3000rpm for 20 minutes. Why don't you go to the cam install "how to" and read about what they did to your car. Knocking could very well be by a valve lash adjustment that ended up with a bent valve. Your looking at a piston to valve clearance issue possibility. Most likely they had your cam is dot to dot unless they went to lunch and figured the other guy did it and it was done. It ran, but pooling of oil in the cylinder heads is a pump issue. Also pump alignment is critical and clearance all the way around the pump should be perfect and checked with a feeler guage. "Yup, that there be a pump! Throw her on and get her done." That is why I do all my own work. Good luck with it. Hope it is something simple, that didn't cause too much damage if any.
Kory did the heads/cam swap by himself though, he didn't take it to a shop. Atleast that's the impression I was under.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:41 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by Krab
Wow Kory, it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting farther away. I can only imagine how frustrated you are of working on your car. Maybe you should take a few days off to get your mind off things. We'll still be here to give you advice when you start working on it again.

Oh, and the compression test sounds like a good idea, that would rule out the bent valves theory.
Yeah my Pissed off meter has definitely gone up a few notches today lol. But **** happens...unfortinitly it likes to happen to me.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, he did the work himself. And the oil pump was in question from the get-go, which started all of this crap.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Krab
Kory did the heads/cam swap by himself though, he didn't take it to a shop. Atleast that's the impression I was under.
I'm concerned, seeing he had no oil pressure. I can't imagine a paper towel or, how many towels would stop oil flow. Damn right possible if you ask me, but I would think that they would disinergrate, depending on how many. I hope he gets it right, but he should read up on the proper installation details. He is worried about a mistake somewhere. Maybe he was +/-4 degrees on the dot to dot, but that is a 101. Check the rocker studs one could have backed out??
Old 02-07-2006, 11:49 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Installed the cam dot to dot. It has started and ran twice perfectly. Never tried to die, never had to give it gas, idled on its own.

Then I realized I left the 2 paper towels in there...then its was just downhill from there. I installed the heads and cam correctly the first time then fucked up by leaving the paper towels in there the second time due to there being no oil pressure.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Installed the cam dot to dot. It has started and ran twice perfectly. Never tried to die, never had to give it gas, idled on its own.

Then I realized I left the 2 paper towels in there...then its was just downhill from there. I installed the heads and cam correctly the first time then fucked up by leaving the paper towels in there the second time due to there being no oil pressure.
Man that sounds like a pump issue. The paper towels keep screwing up that theory.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:54 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Pump issue is fixed. I got the stocker on there and oil pressure came up right away.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

What kind of paper towels? Household type, or a red shop paper towel industrial type? Household would not last as long. Spun bearing just popped into my head, sorry.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
It is an industry standard practically after a cam install to watch your oil pressure like the CEO of Bounty the quicker pickerupper, especially on a LS1, or LT1.
LOL! You had to refer to a Paper Towel Company!!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
LOL! You had to refer to a Paper Towel Company!!!!!
Hehe! Had to make it good reading instead of the same old thing.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Pump issue is fixed. I got the stocker on there and oil pressure came up right away.
Sorry man, I was just goofin'. Hey well that sounds encouraging, but what about that knocking sound? Did it go away??
Old 02-08-2006, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, Im back at work & reporting to duty! Any progress?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

You DO NOT have to pull the heads to check for a bent valve. If the valve is conacting the piston when Idling the car would definitely began to miss and most likely would not run at all because you would be bending several valves. I doubt you have a bent valve but an easy way to check is simply remove the valve covers and the rocker arms. All the spring assemblies(retainer, spring and valve stem) should all come up to the same height. If you've bent a valve on start up you'll see several that arent...

Again I doubt you bent a valve since it ran fine before the "bounty picker upper" issue. I hate to say it but it sounds like you left a rod bolt loose..... NOT GOOD.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Theres no way though...I went one by one with those *******

I am saying the paper is somewhere in the block and thats whats causing it. Mostly because I saw no trace of it as I took the pan out.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I have been thinking today...a lot.

Would it be best to just take it to a shop have them tear it down and get all the towel out. Then just put it back to stock basically and sell it? I was thinking of selling it for like 15k or so...then I can just find a z28 for like 10k...with the z28 I can just swap over all the bolt ons I already have. I will also be making up for the money loss by buying a cheaper car...
Old 02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
You DO NOT have to pull the heads to check for a bent valve. If the valve is conacting the piston when Idling the car would definitely began to miss and most likely would not run at all because you would be bending several valves. I doubt you have a bent valve but an easy way to check is simply remove the valve covers and the rocker arms. All the spring assemblies(retainer, spring and valve stem) should all come up to the same height. If you've bent a valve on start up you'll see several that arent...

Again I doubt you bent a valve since it ran fine before the "bounty picker upper" issue. I hate to say it but it sounds like you left a rod bolt loose..... NOT GOOD.
You're right that you don't have to pull the heads to check, which is why we suggested a compression/leakdown test. If a valve is contacting a piston it will not cause the engine to die. In fact, the engine can sometimes run fine (sans the knocking sound, which in some cases like mine was, only sounded like a slightly louder valvetrain noise). If you're new to the cam swap world, then you can easily attribute the louder noise and lope to the radical cam and the stiffer springs. I speak all of this from experience. I was able to drive my car for about 15 miles before a valve finally broke off... and i had installed my cam 2 teeth off, that's about 4 degrees.

Lithium - It's up to you man. I'd personally like to see you get this figured out, no matter how long it takes. But, I don't know about any other factors in your life that may necessitate the selling of this car or taking it to a shop. Whatever you decide, I'm pulling for you here, as well as many others on here. I'll help you as long as you need it cuz I know how mentally anguishing this is.

Quick Reply: I reallllly f'ed up now...