Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart heads, just have to let it be....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dart331 is refering to the factory rocker assembley as "a shaft type" since it is not a conventional stand alone stud type. Yes a true T&D or Jesel would be great - but it is not a must have to work on a Dart head.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ya i think i may ahve miss read something
my bad guys

i do like these heads and would love to get these heads + fast 90/90 + portmatching both together for about the price of afrs
Old 01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Malihoochie
Dart331 is refering to the factory rocker assembley as "a shaft type" since it is not a conventional stand alone stud type. Yes a true T&D or Jesel would be great - but it is not a must have to work on a Dart head.

What about the Yella Terra rocker arms..are there any issuse using them on the Dart heads..ie. what would you have to do to get them to fit??
Old 01-17-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For those asking about the rocker stand for the stock rockers, it will take two minutes to fix. I felt obligated to post this since I think I first brought it up. I think the other thing to consider is the LPE steel stand as a nice upgrade, but anyhow here is what needs to be removed. It is the little locating nubs on the bottom (circled in red). You can see in the photo that the rocker support bosses on the Dart head are larger and more robust than the stock head, hence the need to remove the nub.

PS: The heads are not blue, that is painters tape to protect the gasket surfaces while I work on the heads
Old 01-17-2006, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

oh ok
makes sence
Old 01-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my test set running today in the car... just did a warm up shake down run in the car. Freezing rain is preventing any test drives. I thought the car wasn't even going to drive or idle with the cam in it but it turned out it was fine on the stock tune too.... I'll finish the car up this week and hopefully we can dyno this pig by the end of the month maybe!

Bret
Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm by no means discrediting the facts of this head.
Just from my user point of vue (as a lot of us do their own work on our rides), making the head more simple bolt on, (more PnP) if you wish, is what a lot of us would prefer (I know I do).
As Cast, professionals like yourself or SStrokerAce do not have any issues sorting out details, for us however, the lack of tooling resources can sometimes involve extra costs that we would rather not have.
As mentionned above, quite a few consumers would look at this head a good product that is also "well Budgeted".
That is what I was trying to say.
We all seek "MORE POWER", but we hurt trying to do so within a reasonable amount of $$$.
It was just some input that is all, I personaly gotta wait for more LIVE data to make any judgement so do not take those comments as such.

BTW: Do you have the spring specs?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Banned

I got the set here bare.... they were also the first run and they needed a little work. Dart has fixed the areas that I had to fix on the as cast heads from what I hear so it shouldn't be a problem for most guys to just bolt them on now.

Bret
Old 01-18-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a link to the spring information, the spring is the PSILS1511. Start on page 17 of the pdf in the link

PSI Catalog
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Default Thanks

With your detailed info Im buying a set of Dart heads. I do appreciate honesty in this world of marketing BS
thanks
Rich
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 PM

What does a set of Dart CNC'd heads go for as apposed to the $2,200 for AFR's?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Very nice write up. I know when Allan did my heads over a Futral's Terry went over with me all the stuff that people were talking about on the forums. He pointed out and explained what people were saying on the forum about the rockers, oil holding in the head, parts issues. It was very informative to me since this post was not available at the time.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dart331Stroker,.....May you live a 1000 years and may the holy mother of acceleration smile down upon you every day! Me too, Ive been waiting for a bump that should have been in my hand six months ago now it looks like IF I get It. I will probubly be talking to you
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dart makes fantastic heads (and other gear) and has for years.

It is awesome we are getting quality product at great prices
Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by CHRISPY; 04-29-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
These are the only heads I have seen that don't have turbulence! The bench can push 45" thru these heads without a flow loss.... that's really important in my book.

So does that mean these wold be great heads for a forced induction setup? Im looking to go turbo and in the early learning stages of what parts are better for one thing or another. That statement just screams these heads will love boost to me though? Or did i completely misunderstand that?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
So does that mean these wold be great heads for a forced induction setup? Im looking to go turbo and in the early learning stages of what parts are better for one thing or another. That statement just screams these heads will love boost to me though? Or did i completely misunderstand that?
That is what I am expecting, ordered a set of 225's for my FFHP FI 408. will be a few weeks before I am up and running as the shortblock is expected sometime next week.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

glad to hear from DART331. i was on the fence about these heads vs two other more $$ pairs and am sure that ill be getting the Darts. after reading his posts though i think im gonna wait and see what the deal is on there forthcoming cnc'd sets.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

I hope you get your cnc out by june. I got a rather healthy bomus check I need somebody to take care of for me if you know what I mean. oh well I can wait a little longer if need be because I'm not ripping apart my motor until it's cold out agian.

btw nice post. I like to see people that are willing to tell as it is and not what they hink you should or want to hear. some other people on this forum might have gotten a bad rap for doing do but they have alway's gotten my business. thank's for the good work.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
What about the Yella Terra rocker arms..are there any issuse using them on the Dart heads..ie. what would you have to do to get them to fit??

Sorry to dig this thread back up but I need this question answered. I have the as cast 225 Darts & I have purchased the Yella Terra Ultralite Shaft Mounted Rockers. Are there any issues that anyone knows about? Anyone have any idea on pushrod length, shim height? I would rather not buy some more pushrods but I will if need be. Thanks for any answers you can give me, and thank you Dart for a great head!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

best bet is to get a push rod length checker and see what length you need.