Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart heads, just have to let it be....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rons 00z
best bet is to get a push rod length checker and see what length you need.
Roger... I know that, I am just looking into any possible issues and getting an idea on shim height and pushrod length that others may have used with the same setup. It makes this much easier. Thanks though!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed the Cranes on mine. Based on my experience with these heads, the YT's shouldn't be a problem, it was only the stick rocker base and that was only due to then larger pads. If you have a very early set like I did, they have since milled the pads 0.100" closer to the valve cover pedestal. Just verify the wipe before you order pushrods. I am getting ready to swap to AFR's and the shims required for the AFR's were thicker than those provided by YT with the rockers.

Man, this is an old thread, but I still refer people to it from time to time.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the problem most people have with the dart heads is the problems had early on with the TSP ported ones.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I installed the Cranes on mine. Based on my experience with these heads, the YT's shouldn't be a problem, it was only the stick rocker base and that was only due to then larger pads. If you have a very early set like I did, they have since milled the pads 0.100" closer to the valve cover pedestal. Just verify the wipe before you order pushrods. I am getting ready to swap to AFR's and the shims required for the AFR's were thicker than those provided by YT with the rockers.

Man, this is an old thread, but I still refer people to it from time to time.
Thanks, I was getting some conflicting information on the pad height. I guess I am just going to have to buy a shim pack just to be safe. I dont want to get halfway through this and find out I need thicker shims. Thanks again for the info.

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I think the problem most people have with the dart heads is the problems had early on with the TSP ported ones.
This is an old thread. I dont care about problems other people have with these heads, and it's not even the question I asked. I asked what, if any information was available to help me with mounting my shaft style rockers to my Dart heads that I am currently running in my GTO with the stock rockers.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kingsize
Thanks, I was getting some conflicting information on the pad height. I guess I am just going to have to buy a shim pack just to be safe. I dont want to get halfway through this and find out I need thicker shims. Thanks again for the info.
On my AFR's, I figured out the required shim height and then bought a single piece shim from McMaster-Carr. They have a large variety of thicknesses.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
On my AFR's, I figured out the required shim height and then bought a single piece shim from McMaster-Carr. They have a large variety of thicknesses.
My problem is the heads are on the car now. I know I will have to pull at least one head and drop in a solid roller to correctly find the right pushrod length. I was just hopeing someone that has already done this on an LS with Dart heads & the Yella Terra rockers would already have this information and the shim height and keep me from pulling it apart to order parts, put it back together, then pull it back apart to install the parts.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Response was to the OP. I also saw how old the thread is.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

i have the YT's on mine, trying to remember what shim i used, i remember i used my own shim. I'll ask my dad if he can remember since he was around helping me with it.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
i have the YT's on mine, and i used the shim that was supplied and that gave me a perfect wipe. Hope that helps
Justin
Do you happen to know the pushrod length you used? I already have some that are perfect for the stock rockers. Did you use the same length or + -? This does help thanks...
Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

sorry but if you look again i changed my response of what you quoted cause i remembered after i wrote it i added another shim of my own (was last summer i did this) but anyways i used a 7.375 on mine but my heads are shimmed 30 thousands off agnd i ran a .045 gasket.

I'll find out for you and get back to you in the next day for you.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

sorry but if you look again i changed my response of what you quoted cause i remembered after i wrote it i added another shim of my own (was last summer i did this) but anyways i used a 7.375 on mine but my heads are shimmed 30 thousands off agnd i ran a .045 gasket.

I'll find out for you and get back to you in the next day for you.
Thanks... By the way, how much power you putting down?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

dont know yet i honestly got the car together a week before i left for school, so spent that week tuning it then had to leave. I'll find out this summer when i'm home, i'll defintally post results. I'm interested myself to see how the cnc port job from dart works out.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

dont know yet i honestly got the car together a week before i left for school, so spent that week tuning it then had to leave. I'll find out this summer when i'm home, i'll defintally post results. I'm interested myself to see how the cnc port job from dart works out.
Do post, I'm definatly interested. When you get a chance ,check out my thirdgen in my f-quick gallery (click below), and be sure to post up a graph if you can. Have fun!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don' need a solid lifter to measure pushrod length, you can do it with the heads on the car and the hydraulic lifters. Also, swap out the #1 springs to checking springs to set the wipe pattern.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DART 225's and loving it