Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-rex

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00BlackSS
they ran that 10.xx pass in that 10bolt to??? thats crazy!!
hahah....right, the 10 bolt would probably shatter just at the sight of an M6 making that kind of power!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they ran that 10.xx pass in that 10bolt to??? thats crazy!!
I don't know if they ran the 10.xx pass with a 10 bolt or not. Rearends are easy to swap out, and it probably had a 12 bolt in it at the track. What I'm saying is that 451 rwhp with a T-Rex (cam only) are M6/10 bolt dyno numbers.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

he said hes going through a 9inch as stated in first post.....

410 is a little low....but thats prob. with no tune or a decent street tune....no full out race tune

oh ya....put that TNT F2 on ur WS6!!
before anyone goes and does this, lets be realistic - this cam is LARGE. Its probably not going to run with no tune, and to really get good manners and power from it you need a REALLY good tune. Its designed for open headers, 4.10+ gears, etc so a well thought out set of supporting mods is going to be critical as well. It can run decent on the street with a good tune though.

Last edited by magius231; 01-20-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magius231
before anyone goes and does this, lets be realistic - this cam is LARGE. Its probably not going to run with no tune, and to really get good manners and power from it you need a REALLY good tune. Its designed for open headers, 4.10+ gears, etc so a well thought out set of supporting mods is going to be critical as well. It can run decent on the street with a good tune though.
yes it can run wihtout a tune.....Friend of mine had it in his car. and it could run without a tune....after that he car was tuned three times, each time getting better and better! soo im saying he could see 410 on a mild tune, but getting more aggresive with the tune, he can see more hp!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Default tunning

this is for the guy that said he was going to have nelson or tsp to tune the cam i just wanted that guy to know that i used nelson in san antonio i spent 400 dollars for a tune on a x 2 sized cam my car drove like crap and still does just wanted you to know that if your talking about that shop i've had my car over at his shop 5 times and idle is bad and hesitates at a stop to the point where it stops and then goes i've had my installer drive my car and said the tune is bad and i've had my muffler shop look at my cutouts to see
if there is and exhaust leak i invested in 410 gears to try and solve problem but still there and service engine will not go off and everytime i go over there the light goes off and then comes back!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

keep in mind that the cam also perfoems well in lightweight cars... I know a aouple people on here that went with this big boy... and weren't too happy with the results, because it makes no botom end torque. for an all out race car, it is great, but in a car that's over 3500 with driver.. it's not gonna be all that impressive.

I warn the thread starter... if you have a full weight car, please think twice before going ahead with this cam. if you are building a race car.. disregard this post, but if not.. call the sponsor of your choice, hell call a couple, with your car's spec's, and what you want to accomplish, you will most likly be alot happier in the end.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Also people say that the LS2 intake you were talking about doesnt perform as well as the FAST 90mm.Thats just what Ive read,but I know cost is always a big concern.Do a search and you will see alot of posts about it.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

I warn the thread starter... if you have a full weight car, please think twice before going ahead with this cam. if you are building a race car.. disregard this post, but if not.. call the sponsor of your choice, hell call a couple, with your car's spec's, and what you want to accomplish, you will most likly be alot happier in the end.
reason why i went with the Torquer v.2 cam and not the magic stick

torquer makes some nice power down low and the whole way through
Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

wow I certainly wouldn't want to run something that big with no tuning...hes lucky he didn't hurt something
Old 01-20-2006, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

wow I certainly wouldn't want to run something that big with no tuning...hes lucky he didn't hurt something
You don't need tunning to be able to derive the car. just to maximize the performance and driveability of it.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
You don't need tunning to be able to derive the car. just to maximize the performance and driveability of it.
my plugs came out a bit white with a cam around this size on a stock tune......
Old 01-21-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

you can drive it sure, if your willing to risk your AF being so far off you either lean it too far and pop #7 or you wash down the cylinders. There have been people that do that AFTER tuning what makes you think your safe on the stock tune?
Old 01-22-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

riiiiiggghhttt........ I have a wideband on my car and if I were to aggresivley drive my car when I had the stock tune on it I would have been buying a new motor.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zeus
riiiiiggghhttt........ I have a wideband on my car and if I were to aggresivley drive my car when I had the stock tune on it I would have been buying a new motor.
Stock tunes are VERY conservative. I mean yeah i wouldn't be spraying it but it's not gonna blow up cause you race on a stock tune. I've been threw quite a few motors so i know what they will and won't take.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

ok, lets put it this way, when I went to tune the car my (stock) VE tables were off by a little more than 15%. Under 2500RPMs the car was so rich the plugs were absolutely COVERED in black soot, so much so that I had to replace them after only a day of driving. Under power enrichment conditions my car started leaning out to 13.5:1, where I would stop for fear of lean burning the motor.

When I first put the cam in I had modified some of the tables to make the car more driveable (kind of a pre-tune) but it was absolutley and totally undriveable. It surged like mad, bucked ferociously under 2000RPM light throttle situations, would die every time I pushed the clutch in unless I double footed it, etc.

I have a very radical definintion of drivable and this cam was not it. The good news is after 35+ hours of data logs, and about 40-45 reflashes later, the car drives literally like it's almost stock. The idle still hangs at 1100RPM when rolling, and the idle is a little rough before the PCM switches over to Closed loop, but that's all completely fixable, and not really anything bad.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
theres a vid of red camaro with trex and LS6 heads with 45xhp....but i guess thats right through a 9inch
ya that camaro sounds vicious!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by santiago
ya that camaro sounds vicious!
can you post the link i would like to hear it
Old 01-23-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
ok, lets put it this way, when I went to tune the car my (stock) VE tables were off by a little more than 15%. Under 2500RPMs the car was so rich the plugs were absolutely COVERED in black soot, so much so that I had to replace them after only a day of driving. Under power enrichment conditions my car started leaning out to 13.5:1, where I would stop for fear of lean burning the motor.

When I first put the cam in I had modified some of the tables to make the car more driveable (kind of a pre-tune) but it was absolutley and totally undriveable. It surged like mad, bucked ferociously under 2000RPM light throttle situations, would die every time I pushed the clutch in unless I double footed it, etc.

I have a very radical definintion of drivable and this cam was not it. The good news is after 35+ hours of data logs, and about 40-45 reflashes later, the car drives literally like it's almost stock. The idle still hangs at 1100RPM when rolling, and the idle is a little rough before the PCM switches over to Closed loop, but that's all completely fixable, and not really anything bad.
So pretty much with a good tune, the T-Rex isn't too much trouble to drive (relatively speaking)? I still can't decide if I want a T-Rex or something like a G5x4, and while not having stock driving manners doesn't bother me, I'm just worried I'll hate driving the car around after the cam goes in.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
So pretty much with a good tune, the T-Rex isn't too much trouble to drive (relatively speaking)? I still can't decide if I want a T-Rex or something like a G5x4, and while not having stock driving manners doesn't bother me, I'm just worried I'll hate driving the car around after the cam goes in.
Good tuning can fix just about anything
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Joe at T56 Rebuilds put down over 460 with the T-Rex Killer and stock heads.