Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby head question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby head question

hey everyone i am new to ls1's and had a question. My goal is to get 450~hp out of my 99 T/a m6. is this possible with a set of patriot performance stage 2 ls6 heads and a good cam?(all other basic bolt-ons too. obviously) My major question is why are their heads relatively cheaper than others? i am kinda on a budget but will spend what it takes to get my number without boost or spray. i tried to search but with no avail. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

With good flowing heads, a cam and a good tune you should have a good change of getting 450 hp
Old 01-18-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, just the right COMBO of heads/cam, make sure the heads and cam you pick out are proven to work well together. and that goes for pretty much anything on your car

haha joel ss i love that quote at the bottom of your sig so much im considering putting it on my car. that sums up what i have to explain to everyone that sits in my car and its getting old
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

There are heads that are cheaper then other because they use the GM casting and just port it for better flow, most companies do this. On the other hand there are companies like Air Flow Research that have there own unique casting that some people say flow better, I would tend to agree with those people. You CAN achieve 450 flywheel horsepower without a problem with a good heads and cam package but achieving 450 rear wheel hp may be a little bit harder and more costly! Just remember, you cant just throw another 100+ wheel hp at a car and expect every other part of the car to be able to handle that power. If you have an M6 car then you are going to have to replace you rear end with a 12 bolt or a 9" or leave it on street tires and spin out everywhere until you car afford one. You clutch will need upgrading, you will need sub frame connectors aswell. Automatic cars can handle to power a little better but SFC's are a must or you will twist your frame! Good luck!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Teching In

could anyone please explain the second part of my question as to why patriot are more affordable? do they not flow well? i mean afr 205 heads are arround 2000+ where patriot stage 2 ls6 are like 1200~. if i am not comparing apples to apples please clear this up for me. I want to buy a set of patriot heads but they seem too cheap. I would like to know if they are a quality head and if people reccomend them.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

I did explain it. Patriot uses GM LS6 castings which mean they take a head thats already made and port it for better flow. AFR make there own casting which they say flows better, I think it does to.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

This should also be moved to the LS1/LS6 Internal engine section. Camaroextra you can go there and find all sorts of the answers that you are seeking. To see 450rwhp easily go with AFR 205's and a G5x3 cam with long tube headers and an ls6 or better intake manifold. You will also need hardened pushrods, new head gaskets, a Ls6 oil pump, and ls2 timing chain, 2 water pump gaskets, 2 air tube gaskets, 1 crank seal, ASP underdrive pulley, ARP head studs or 2 head stud kits from GM and a timing cover seal. That should pretty much do you for a H/C setup. Dont forget a good tune afterwards! You can get all the seals and gaskets from GM and everything else can be purchased from the suppliers along the right side of your screen. Like I said before, good luck!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ouchburns
This should also be moved to the LS1/LS6 Internal engine section. Camaroextra you can go there and find all sorts of the answers that you are seeking. To see 450rwhp easily go with AFR 205's and a G5x3 cam with long tube headers and an ls6 or better intake manifold. You will also need hardened pushrods, new head gaskets, a Ls6 oil pump, and ls2 timing chain, 2 water pump gaskets, 2 air tube gaskets, 1 crank seal, ASP underdrive pulley, ARP head studs or 2 head stud kits from GM and a timing cover seal. That should pretty much do you for a H/C setup. Dont forget a good tune afterwards! You can get all the seals and gaskets from GM and everything else can be purchased from the suppliers along the right side of your screen. Like I said before, good luck!
i believe you mean calorado04 not me lol. im too poor for all that nonsense
Old 01-18-2006, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroextra
i believe you mean calorado04 not me lol. im too poor for all that nonsense

Eeep sorry man, thats who I meant
Old 01-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Teching In

i am sorry ouchburns you replied while i was typing my second post. i was watching tv so getting distracted my typing take longer sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
haha joel ss i love that quote at the bottom of your sig so much im considering putting it on my car. that sums up what i have to explain to everyone that sits in my car and its getting old
Yeah I saw someguy in the A4 tranny forum post that and it pretty much sums it up fo me as well.. hehe
Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
Yeah I saw someguy in the A4 tranny forum post that and it pretty much sums it up fo me as well.. hehe
haha i think i have to put that in my profile, but ill quote you

Eeep sorry man, thats who I meant
no worries
Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Automatic cars can handle to power a little better but SFC's are a must or you will twist your frame! Good luck!
According to Sam Strano, that is not true when only talking about numbers such as 450 rwhp. I personally cannot prove you wrong, but I trust Sam's experience and knowledge more than anyone else when talking about suspensions.