Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos the most reputable engine builder on this site?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Katech
You can't compare an engine that uses Eagle crank and rods to ours that uses Carillo rods and Callies crank.
While I respect Katech and I agree that Callies cranks and Carrillo rods are certainly superior parts to say Eagle or SCAT I would say that anyone using Carrillo rods in a street car has way more money than common sense. That is money MUCH more wisely spent on a set of great heads and/or intake and/or headers etc. At least these parts will MAKE you MORE power for your money.

We have used over 100 Eagle 4.000 LS1 cranks with absolutely NO failures of any kind whatsoever in engines that make from 450 - 1000+ RWHP and yet have never even returned a single crank to Eagle! Is an Eagle crank as good as a Sonny Bryant? HELL NO, but they don't cost 2800.00 either. Anyway I don't think anyone has anything whatsoever to worry about runnning ANY Eagle LS1 stuff on the street to say the least.

Now I can say that we HAVE fixed from other shops on this website MANY LS1 engines with Callies and Lunati cranks with spun mains and rods etc. and yet I know these are good parts but I also know the people that put them together were not so good from the work I've seen. Anyway just thought I'dd add my 2 cents to this little thread since we've used quite a few Eagles and had no problems with anything so far.

Also anyone that has the money and wants a Sonny Bryant or Callies Crank or Carrillo rods in their street going LS1 and can afford it is totally fine by me! Also anyone building an awsome 24 hour endurance engine like the C5R that Katech has won so many races with for sure is going to run the BEST they can and that's totally the right choice for them as well. I see no problem with that and I would do it too! Most of us just aren't that loaded.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
While I respect Katech and I agree that Callies cranks and Carrillo rods are certainly superior parts to say Eagle or SCAT I would say that anyone using Carrillo rods in a street car has way more money than common sense. That is money MUCH more wisely spent on a set of great heads and/or intake and/or headers etc. At least these parts will MAKE you MORE power for your money.

We have used over 100 Eagle 4.000 LS1 cranks with absolutely NO failures of any kind whatsoever in engines that make from 450 - 1000+ RWHP and yet have never even returned a single crank to Eagle! Is an Eagle crank as good as a Sonny Bryant? HELL NO, but they don't cost 2800.00 either. Anyway I don't think anyone has anything whatsoever to worry about runnning ANY Eagle LS1 stuff on the street to say the least.

Now I can say that we HAVE fixed from other shops on this website MANY LS1 engines with Callies and Lunati cranks with spun mains and rods etc. and yet I know these are good parts but I also know the people that put them together were not so good from the work I've seen. Anyway just thought I'dd add my 2 cents to this little thread since we've used quite a few Eagles and had no problems with anything so far.

Also anyone that has the money and wants a Sonny Bryant or Callies Crank or Carrillo rods in their street going LS1 and can afford it is totally fine by me! Also anyone building an awsome 24 hour endurance engine like the C5R that Katech has won so many races with for sure is going to run the BEST they can and that's totally the right choice for them as well. I see no problem with that and I would do it too! Most of us just aren't that loaded.
i seconded this!!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go to the local shop out here in TTP who has already done work on my car.

If I was in a different state, it would defintely be HPE.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

It is a little about what you are looking for. If you are seriously racing in a type of racing that requires maximum accleration (no tractor pulls or land speed record runs), then you want to minimize the rotating mass. This gets next to no ink on this site.

Eagle, SCAT, etc. don't really offer lightweight solutions (at least nothing I would consider light weight). There you need a Callies/Carrillo, Oliver, Crower (my current choice), etc. (including Kings, Bryant, HTC) solution. And an appropriate clutch/flywheel, etc.

If the MOI numbers in a Tilton or Quartermaster catalog don't interest you, If you don't measure your acceleraton in rpm/sec (or better yet radians/sec^2), then Eagle/Scat let you get a decent 4340 crank/rods that will take a lot of power.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Teching In

I think this comes down to personal prefference. I think for every engine builder out there, there are good and bad experiences. What makes a good engine builder is one that stands behind their work and if a problem arises, they take care of it.
The builder who can handle stuff internally is probalby the best choice, these are the guys that test everything before it leaves, so there are no questions about any of the products they ship.
This approach may cost more, but in the end you are better off because of how the internet has changed the street industry. Think about it, before all these forums, there wasn't that much bad press on a decent engine builder.
What I have found is that unfortuanatly the guys that are happy with the parts and services from their engine builder never speak up about them, and the one guy that has coolant leaking from the cylinder head core plug goes out and badmouths the builder with all that he has.

Also, I think all engine builders have the same potential to build an engine, and what sets them apart is the processes they follow. The top builders usually have certain processes that keep things in check, and they keep records of all the changes made to the engine so they know what needs to happen if there is a question or it needs to be rebuilt.

We choose Katech for all of our "Engine builds", as they have the greatest reputation and personal to get the job done on time and right.
When we are doing cam swaps and things of that nature we do it in house because we know we are capable of these types of projects.

The last choice for an engine builder comes down to convienence. If you are a pretty knowledgable person and can perform a lot of the removal and installation yourself, then it is really not necessary to have your engine builder close.

Just throwing my $0.02 in!!
Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Lingenfelter Performance Engineering gets my vote ,however as stated by other members...there are many builders on this site that have great credentials and proven results.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used a Non Sponsor... (Not edited i know better then to post it )
If they were good enough for some of the fastest Turbo LS1's the last few seasons then there good enough for me.....
I had two choices.... the one i chose and W2W..... If i didnt choose the one i did i would of went with W2W.

Kyle
Old 01-27-2006, 05:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear Futral,Rapid,W2W,TSP,and TSP has put out good motor's.

By experience I've used/seen Cartek-nice work,SDPC-pretty good and the best I've used is Combination Motorsport's -we've run there motors extremely hard and never had a problem
Old 01-27-2006, 09:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Nothing against the Eagle product. I've had personal experience with it over the years and their products work well for certain applications.

In my opinion a lot more exists with crankshafts besides max hp handling. Machining quality, Counter wieight shape, Consistent material throughout. All of this adds up and could effect harmonics even which in turn can effect engine longevity as well as horsepower. With Callies products we can expect the same results everytime.

Originally Posted by racer7088

Quick Reply: Whos the most reputable engine builder on this site?