Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos the most reputable engine builder on this site?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Katech looks like an outstanding shop. They can build a motor for me any day. After my trials and tribulations I would be wary of the smaller shops that can "get you a better deal". The big shops may be more expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for and I'm not talking only about the engine itself. Some place may sell you a engine for 3K less, but in the long run it may cost you more. When you do business over the internet and phone you are rolling the dice. I, and many others, rolled the dice and came up short. I paid for my motor 2 1/2 years ago. Looks like on monday I will finally have my stroker fired up for the first time, after I almost gave it all up and got out of the hobby.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadBill
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the obvious: Katech. 20 or more years in business, unparalleled record of IRL successes (probably close to 30 straight) with the Aurora then the Chev, maybe 50 or more races with a fantastic win record in the C5/6R Corvettes (and I think a total of one engine failure). Cadillac CTSV and GTO wins by the score, many more I'm sure...
I agree. They're on a different playing field.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone of them can build these engines perfectly, its a matter of who can stay in business.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I paid for my motor 2 1/2 years ago. Looks like on monday I will finally have my stroker fired up for the first time, after I almost gave it all up and got out of the hobby.
Damn, I thought I waited a long time with 10 months. I'd be pissed if I were you.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Yes, Katech looks like an outstanding shop. They can build a motor for me any day. After my trials and tribulations I would be wary of the smaller shops that can "get you a better deal". The big shops may be more expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for and I'm not talking only about the engine itself. Some place may sell you a engine for 3K less, but in the long run it may cost you more. When you do business over the internet and phone you are rolling the dice. I, and many others, rolled the dice and came up short. I paid for my motor 2 1/2 years ago. Looks like on monday I will finally have my stroker fired up for the first time, after I almost gave it all up and got out of the hobby.
I agree. We have all the tools here to validate your package and your engine will be built by the same hands that build the LS7.R. Our engine builds take more time. Why? Because we build each street engine with the same precision as we do the race engines. Getting why you pay for is an understatement.

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I agree. They're on a different playing field.
Well I thank you for the compliment, but I don't want anybody to think that Katech is unreachable. We DO build street engines. Do not hesitate to call me if you are considering your next engine build. We are designing some new and exciting crate engines now and we try to be as competitive as possible on pricing. Sometimes the final price looks different, but when you get into the details you understand why. You can't compare an engine that uses Eagle crank and rods to ours that uses Carillo rods and Callies crank.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Anyone of them can build these engines perfectly, its a matter of who can stay in business.
Thats another things. I keep hearing these horror stories of fly-by-night shops taking deposits and then disappearing. Katech has been in business for 29 years now. I don't think we're going anywhere
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will be getting my engine built by speedinc. most likely however, all of the above are awesome builders. And of course Katech is excellent.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im dealing with Harold at Port Pros for my 383...
Stand up guy! I havent got the motor yet, but thats due to parts from comp being on backorder.
Im dealing with him long distance, mainly because everyone I talked to locally couldnt instill the confidence that Harold did. This guy calls or emails almost everyday to let me know how things are coming. He's also ported a set of LT1 castings for me, they flow more than the AFR 195cc heads I was going to buy.
Definitely shop around, if you jump into a deal with someone too quick, you may find yourself regretting something.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

W2W delivers consistent and outstanding results and takes care of you every step of the way. I have personal experience with them on a difficult build and the motor is everything that they said and more.

That being said, if you are looking for something to handle ~800hp I think that any of the mentioned shops can handle that...if you are going to be looking for more then W2W. I doubt any company has produced more LSX engines that have made over 1000rwhp then them.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MadBill
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the obvious: Katech. 20 or more years in business, unparalleled record of IRL successes (probably close to 30 straight) with the Aurora then the Chev, maybe 50 or more races with a fantastic win record in the C5/6R Corvettes (and I think a total of one engine failure). Cadillac CTSV and GTO wins by the score, many more I'm sure...

YES...Katech should be in the running with their track record with the ALMS C5R & C6R Corvettes. They supply the engines to Pratt-Miller ..ie the factory Corvette team and have done a ton of R&D work with the LS series engines....There are many good engine builders around the country..You can also buy the short block or long block from a competent source and have a good local shop to the installation for you...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my engine noise is hosted and put up in another post here if anyone wants to venture a guess (and it wont be used against anyone either, its internet diagnosis jeopardy game). I'm really bummed about it, been told to take it easy on it so I dont ruin my heads with a dramatic event.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/443165-internet-diagnosis-anyone-need-mech-s-help-here.html
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
my engine noise is hosted and put up in another post here if anyone wants to venture a guess (and it wont be used against anyone either, its internet diagnosis jeopardy game). I'm really bummed about it, been told to take it easy on it so I dont ruin my heads with a dramatic event.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443165
Link to the video doesn't work.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

I would go with more performance inc. they have been in numerous magazines like car craft,GM high tech, corvette fever, the list goes on. They have been building cars for a long time and specialize in ls1/lt1 motors but are certainly not limited to them they have everything needed in-house to do the work. All of the work done is done in house, so you know its it quality craftsmanship. You should consider them they sell complete engines as well as packages. Check them out at www.moreperformanceinc.com
Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quickin
Link to the video doesn't work.
hmm tried it and it works for me. dont know what to say
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by radz
I would go with more performance inc. they have been in numerous magazines like car craft,GM high tech, corvette fever, the list goes on. They have been building cars for a long time and specialize in ls1/lt1 motors but are certainly not limited to them they have everything needed in-house to do the work. All of the work done is done in house, so you know its it quality craftsmanship. You should consider them they sell complete engines as well as packages. Check them out at www.moreperformanceinc.com
I think More Perf. has closed down.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/southern-members/435378-nc-guys-brandon-matt.html
Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
CARTEK Racing

I would call CARTEK in NJ. They have built a vast amount of large displacement and stock cid motors that have held their own.

Their 441 in a C5 was the first N/A C5 in the 9's
Their 346 is in the fastest Z06 with TT's running 8.4's and no reliability problems.
Their 427 in a Z06 is the fastest 6spd N/A Vette @ 10.1

CARTEK also has a few road race 427's running 45min at a time at 6000rpm w/o probems.

What ever your LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7 needs CARTEK will help you get there!

Ask for Dave 908.317.4496

Last edited by WS6TransAm01; 01-26-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Another vote for Cartek Racing

www.cartek.net
Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

If I could get one of the builders to listen to my engine I'd be most appreciative. I can email the sound clip, its a 2.2mb file. I'm just hoping somoene has heard the noise before and might know what it is. Ordering a sb at this point is pre-mature maybe.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

unbelievable, never in my life have I edited that many posts for non-sponsor info.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone deal with Hardcore Racing in Flint, MI? I was thinking of getting a heads/cam package from them, talked to them last week. Seem like nice, reputable people. They're building an 1800 hp GTO.....seems like they know their stuff. Awesome shop in person, but thats just my opinion. Haven't bought anything yet, worth a shot?

Quick Reply: Whos the most reputable engine builder on this site?