Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internet diagnosis anyone? Need mech's help here

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Internet diagnosis anyone? Need mech's help here

Have a horrendous sound thats worse at startup than when the car gets warm. Its all dwon low on the bottom end of the motor , nice and quiet up top. Here is a sound clip. First noise you hear is me putting the car in neutral then I start it.
Its not a y pipe bang or anything like that either, and piston slap has been ruled out as well. Looking for mechanics to help with the diag here, only real way is to pull it apart and put it back togetrher and that will cost almost as much as a new 370 short block. Should I just keep driving it until something definitive happens, or am I putting my heads at risk?

http://www.buckrobinson.com/vids/P1010002.MP4
Old 01-26-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any change when you push in the clutch pedal? I'd get it up on jack stands and crawl around with a stethoscope or a length of heater hose and see if you can't narrow down the region. Also, pop off the drive belt/belts and see if it's still there. One more: I've heard balancers/pulleys rubbing on the timing cover that sounded similar.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no change when you push in the clutch, had it on the lift when it was warm couldnt isolate it at that point. Will try again. Oil pressure holds steady through out increases as rpms increase, to a point and holds steady.