Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi-noob Crane Dual Valvespring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-noob Crane Dual Valvespring question

OK, over the past few months Ive been gathering parts for my 1st upcoming cam swap (which I'm doing with a friend who knows FAR more than I do, so I can learn from him). I decided on going with a mostly-Crane setup, including their 144832 Dual Valve springs. I have a few questions. 1st being, is there anything else I need to purchase for these for them to fit in the stock heads? And, to go with that, is there anything else I need to purchase for them to even work PERIOD. For the curious, I'm going with the 1.7-ratio Gold Extruded Rocker Arms, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help in advance, sorry if its a dumb question! But, better a dumb question than to get the install started only to find I'm missing parts :-/.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need their titanium retainers which fits that spring....that is all. They accept factory 7' valvelocks. I would advise you set the springs up a little tighter than Crane recommends....more along the lines of 1.750 installed height (versus 1.800). You still have plenty of room till coilbind even with .600 lift and would have better seat pressure (closer to 130 instead of 110 which is light) to better control the beefier rocker gear you plan on running. Hopefully your friend has the proper tools to check spring installed heights....you cant just install them in the stock pockets. You will be needing to shim and check each one to assure consistancy and proper height.

Good luck...

Tony
Old 01-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
You need their titanium retainers which fits that spring....that is all. They accept factory 7' valvelocks. I would advise you set the springs up a little tighter than Crane recommends....more along the lines of 1.750 installed height (versus 1.800). You still have plenty of room till coilbind even with .600 lift and would have better seat pressure (closer to 130 instead of 110 which is light) to better control the beefier rocker gear you plan on running. Hopefully your friend has the proper tools to check spring installed heights....you cant just install them in the stock pockets. You will be needing to shim and check each one to assure consistancy and proper height.

Good luck...

Tony
Hmm, this is my only issue. I ordered the retainers they recommended in their book, which were the steel ones (not sure on the part number off hand). So, I should be ordering shims also, then?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Crane doesn't make shims for the 832's, but the Comps work. I can give you a part number if you need it. I too recommend they be shimmed as Tony stated above, at least 0.030". The Crane springs are excellent, but they set up with a low seat pressure and you must use shims to obtain the correct seat pressure. Crane also makes machined locks, in my opinion, the $30 is well spent here.

What other parts are you installing, timing chain, etc.?

Did you get the Crane Gold rocker kit or just the rockers (the "a" part number)? If you got the kit, then you should be set with pushrods, etc. Also, the Crane/Vinci valve spring tool is the cat's **** when it comes to changing the springs. I even went so far as to modify my new Dart heads so I could use this tool.

Good luck with your installation.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Crane doesn't make shims for the 832's, but the Comps work. I can give you a part number if you need it. I too recommend they be shimmed as Tony stated above, at least 0.030". The Crane springs are excellent, but they set up with a low seat pressure and you must use shims to obtain the correct seat pressure. Crane also makes machined locks, in my opinion, the $30 is well spent here.

What other parts are you installing, timing chain, etc.?

Did you get the Crane Gold rocker kit or just the rockers (the "a" part number)? If you got the kit, then you should be set with pushrods, etc. Also, the Crane/Vinci valve spring tool is the cat's **** when it comes to changing the springs. I even went so far as to modify my new Dart heads so I could use this tool.

Good luck with your installation.
Hey bud, thanks for the reply. These are the parts Ive gotten so far:
Crane Cams Z-Cam (224/224)
Crane Cams Dual Springs
Crane Cams 1.7 Gold Rocker Arm Kit (including the chromemoly pushrods and whatnot)
Crane Cams Steel Retainers (part # 144944-16 - got these, cause it was what the catalogue recommended with these springs - correct me if these are wrong so I can return em ASAP!)
SLP Underdrive Pulley
All gaskets required
LS2 Timing Chain

On the way soon, will be Pacesetter longtubes and a custom True Dual kit a company near me is making.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You mention retainers, and not seats. Did you get new seats with the springs? If not, they have a kit that has it all and this may save you some $$$ over doing it by piece part.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You mention retainers, and not seats. Did you get new seats with the springs? If not, they have a kit that has it all and this may save you some $$$ over doing it by piece part.
Unfortunately I already have the springs and retainers in hand. Seats I probably need still...unfortunately Crane's damn site doesnt link to which ones I need specifically and I must confess, I'm still a bit of a noob so its being a pain for me to figure out which ones I need exactly :-/.