Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would/should a shop charge to install a cam? And how much to tune it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would/should a shop charge to install a cam? And how much to tune it?

I've made up my mind to go with TR230 Cam I think with the M6 its gonna be about the biggest cam I can go with and still be fairly streetable, BUT I'm now debating on installing the cam myself or paying a shop to do it since I'm kinda stretched for time anymore. Then after I get the cam in I know with a cam that size I'll need a good shop to tune it so I can get all the benefist out of it.. what kinda prices should I look for an install, and what prices for a tuning? Thanks fellas

Brandon
Old 02-06-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of shops charging anywhere from $300-$600 for just a friggin cam install. Do yourself a favor and wait for one weekend to set aside for a camp swap using the ls1howto instructions here: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23 . It should only take you a day at most, but a weekend leaves a bit of leeway so you can take your time if it's your first time. It's really not that hard at all, and it's a bit easier if you have a helping hand, but it's not absolutely necessary, i just helps in situations like pulling the radiator. Also, by saving this money you can put it towards the tune which I would say runs in the $300-$500 category for a good tune with HPTuners. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BTW, where are you located? I'm sure someone on here can tell you of a good tuner in your area or even help you with the swap.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with Arctic and say do it yourself. It is fairly simple and is more satisfying knowing you did it yourself. Not to mention the money you save.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

im gonna do mine to save some money along with a buddy that knows what he's doin to make it easier on myself...but i checked at my local performance shop, and they charge 300 bucks for full cam swap, including springs, pushrods, ect...

as for tuning...a guy her locally (knoxville, TN) who has been on the cover of HPP like 5 times tunes and he only charges dyno time (150 bucks) but then i have seen others who charge 400-600 bucks PLUS dyno time (100+ bucks an hour)
Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM

Install $500, but easy to do yourself with the help of a friend. Tune $500 best left to a pro.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

installing mine myself when i get it... tune for me is 475

Quick Reply: How much would/should a shop charge to install a cam? And how much to tune it?