Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolts or studs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt do a had install without ARP studs...but thats just me. It really takes the bolt hole cleaning out of the equation. Do it once and never do it again. Of course I have a vette.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Aegnor
How about this idea: Remove your head bolts before swapping heads, then put in studs, then take off the heads? Wouldn't that avoid the necessity of cleaning all the coolant/oil/other crap from the bolt holes?

Haven't done it, just asking if that's a good idea.
You could try that to at least keep most the water and junk out, but as Jay said some will probably still get in there. So you'll still want to clean out the holes, definitely worth the trouble.

I took a few steps to limit the amount of coolant in the bolt holes, and it worked fairly well - still had to clean them out though:

1) drain the coolant from the radiater

2) remove the temp sensor in the driver's side head and plug at the rear of the pass side head, and allow to drain

3) when removing the head, loosen the bolts enough so that you can lift the head up an inch or so from the block, and allow the coolant to drain. But don't remove the bolts! This way you keep the holes plugged while whatver coolant was left in the head drains out (all over the engine bay and garage floor of course).

As I said you'll still have to clean the holes, but at least this minimizes the amount of water and junk that gets in them.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm about ready to buy a set. What are the torque values?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ARP studs are torqued at 65lbs for aluminum heads and 70lbs with cast iron heads with moly lub and 85lbs with 30 wt motor oil, Put the studs in the block hand tight with red loktite on the lower theads that go in the block right before torqueing them down.This is what the paper saids laying right in front of me.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the GM bolts just total ****? Should I fork up for ARP bolts?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

After removing the factory bolts... I can tell you, I wouldn't use those things in anything LOL. I could feel the bolts twisting as I was taking them out of the block, I was really afraid I was gonna snap one off.. I was actually shocked that none of them did. I guess it's normal, but after that feeling, I was really glad I bought ARP studs to replace them with, at least this way if I ever have to take it apart again, I know that I won't ahve to go thru that experience again.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
After removing the factory bolts... I can tell you, I wouldn't use those things in anything LOL. I could feel the bolts twisting as I was taking them out of the block, I was really afraid I was gonna snap one off.. I was actually shocked that none of them did. I guess it's normal, but after that feeling, I was really glad I bought ARP studs to replace them with, at least this way if I ever have to take it apart again, I know that I won't ahve to go thru that experience again.
I hear ya. Glad to see you went to east side, thats where my car is heading when my heads and cam come in the mail..

They said i'd be fine w/ GM bolts, they're installing, so hopefully if they ever need to take em' out they'll be the ones to break em' and not me lol.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
It's very labor intensive to get those rascals out that's for sure. I gladly spent the $240 to keep from having to go through all that work again. It was at least a 6 beer job!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ lol. I'm a newb mechanic and am having a pro do it.. i already tried playing mechanic and stripped my spark plug hole in #1.. so enough of that. I'll keep my beer drinkin for nights out lol
Old 02-21-2006, 07:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by JRracing
I am ready to order bolts or studs. Is it worth paying for studs or will arp bolts do just fine?
If you are going to go ARP, I would just assume spend a little more and get the studs.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:56 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
You could try that to at least keep most the water and junk out, but as Jay said some will probably still get in there. So you'll still want to clean out the holes, definitely worth the trouble.

I took a few steps to limit the amount of coolant in the bolt holes, and it worked fairly well - still had to clean them out though:

1) drain the coolant from the radiater

2) remove the temp sensor in the driver's side head and plug at the rear of the pass side head, and allow to drain

3) when removing the head, loosen the bolts enough so that you can lift the head up an inch or so from the block, and allow the coolant to drain. But don't remove the bolts! This way you keep the holes plugged while whatver coolant was left in the head drains out (all over the engine bay and garage floor of course).

As I said you'll still have to clean the holes, but at least this minimizes the amount of water and junk that gets in them.
Always, Always. Always....Clean out the holes. No matter what.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

I ened up buying arp bolts. I got a good deal on them. Brand new in the pakage.

I pulled the heads tonight and the bolts felt like they were gonna break as well. Screw them.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 AM
Race your car!

The GM ones work, if they didn't you'd hear about people lifting heads sitting in traffic LOL... but I wouldn't reuse those things for a swingset, and I never just put anythign back the way it was, I always try to go the best possible option with everything.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
yeah you can. But you will have to clean out all the holes again whenever you take the heads off if you do the bolts.
What Thread tap would you use were can we get one?
It would be nice to chase the threads first.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Race your car!

I would get a dremel, and make one out of a stock bolt, just deburr the bolt with a small file before using it... any more then that is kind of overkill, you'd take more of a risk using an actual tap then the bolt, the actual tap, if not done right could do alot more damage then good. my .02
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The studs give a more accurate torque reading. With the bolts your having to twist the bolt as it pulls the threads. The studs will just pull on the threads.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

I ened up buying arp bolts. I got a good deal on them. Brand new in the pakage.

I pulled the heads tonight and the bolts felt like they were gonna break as well. Screw them.
When i was pulling my heads off a few months back. I snapped 2 bolts off in the block. One was broke high enough to grab with my fingers and turn it out. But the other i wasnt so lucky. Its down like 2 inches in the hole. and im still trying to get it out.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSmokin1
When i was pulling my heads off a few months back. I snapped 2 bolts off in the block. One was broke high enough to grab with my fingers and turn it out. But the other i wasnt so lucky. Its down like 2 inches in the hole. and im still trying to get it out.
Were they the stock bolts?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Were they the stock bolts?
yes they were
Old 02-23-2006, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSmokin1
How many miles were on the motor? I don't understand why these bolts snap when people are removing them. I'm glad I put studs in my motor. I only had 12k miles on mine when I swapped over but I plan on having this car a long time.