Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not getting my hopes up yet... Lol

Im a pessimist! Lol
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure it's fixed. The sound is obvious and happens upon first start anything 1500 rpms and up.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mchicia1
I'm sure it's fixed. The sound is obvious and happens upon first start anything 1500 rpms and up.
Mine did it at idle before and just got louder with rpms.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Isn't it something how the cams are now not making the noise? Why can't they just have the QC all the time. It would save the customer and themselves a lot of headaches.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joshua022
Mine did it at idle before and just got louder with rpms.
Yeah you had a real loud one.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

After 30miles, absolutely NO whine, and all I did was have it polished.

Very happy I didnt buy a new cam.

Now get to spend that on either full stainless duals and longtubes or a slightly built tranny/converter combo. Cant decide which...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Nice man.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua022
After 30miles, absolutely NO whine, and all I did was have it polished.

Very happy I didnt buy a new cam.

Now get to spend that on either full stainless duals and longtubes or a slightly built tranny/converter combo. Cant decide which...
congrats!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Default Kip Fabre @ Cam Motion

I just want to thank Kip Fabre at Cam Motion on his great customer service & let everyone know that if you have a whining noise coming from your engine after a cam swap it is the Cam. Sent mine to kip at Cam Motion & he polished it & had it back to me the next day. Just installed the Cam back in the car on sunday & NO WHINING!!!! Thanks Again Kip!! I really appreciate what you did for me & I will def spread the word about you guys.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RB02RAMAIR
I just want to thank Kip Fabre at Cam Motion on his great customer service & let everyone know that if you have a whining noise coming from your engine after a cam swap it is the Cam. Sent mine to kip at Cam Motion & he polished it & had it back to me the next day. Just installed the Cam back in the car on sunday & NO WHINING!!!! Thanks Again Kip!! I really appreciate what you did for me & I will def spread the word about you guys.
Woo hoooooooooooooooooooooooo

If he never came into this thread I wonder how everything would have turned out for us. He is the man for sure.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

If Kip wouldn't have come to this thread, you guys would still have whinning cams, and Comp would still be claiming they haven't heard of such a problem. It really is unfortunate, but until another manufacturer says what the problem is, Comp just denies it. Why couldn't they just do it right the first time? It would have saved you guys the trouble of all the work to change out the cam, and Comp could have kept their reputation in check. In business, word of mouth can either help your business thrive, or kill it.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
If Kip wouldn't have come to this thread, you guys would still have whinning cams, and Comp would still be claiming they haven't heard of such a problem. It really is unfortunate, but until another manufacturer says what the problem is, Comp just denies it. Why couldn't they just do it right the first time? It would have saved you guys the trouble of all the work to change out the cam, and Comp could have kept their reputation in check. In business, word of mouth can either help your business thrive, or kill it.
I wont be buying another one from Comp Cam that's for sure..Next one I buy will be from Cam Motion. Comp knows they're having a problem & they should own up to it & admit there is a problem & notify all there vendors. They're going to loose a lot of customers over this issue.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Woo hoooooooooooooooooooooooo

If he never came into this thread I wonder how everything would have turned out for us. He is the man for sure.
He sure is!! Good to know there still good people in this world that will help others out when they're having a problem. Damn good guy!!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
Up date on a cam that was whining. We received a cam yesterday for inspection and polish. I was wrong about the fine CHATTER it was not fine it was very visible to the eye. Very fine Chatter can still cause whining. It still hard to see if you do not know what you are looking for. The light has to be good.On this cam you could feel it and see it with no problem. After a polish job it looked good to go with out any problems. We shall see.
Kip, can you help us identify the chatter by providing an idea of what we should be looking for, and how to look for it?

This alone could save us all a lot of heart ache, and wasted time and money.

EDIT - some interesting reading and a picture: http://www.engineproblem.com.au/camgrind_know.htm
http://www.leabrasive.com/balanced.html
http://www.sciemetric.com/sites/defa...afts_AN192.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Whining Noise After Cam Change-img02.jpg  

Last edited by mOtOrHeAd MiKe; 03-13-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones with fine chatter are hard to see. The ones we fixed and polished are easy to see. When you receive a cam from anyone you should clean it and do an inspection on the new cam yourself. If it has a computer generated cam card you better check it yourself in the engine if you want to know what you received. If the lobes are polished they should look nice a smooth they should also feel smooth to the touch. To see if there is chatter clean the lobes off and hold the cam in front of yourself horizontally get under a good light and look at the bottom of one lobes get the light to hit the bottom of the lobe and turn the cam so the light will climb up the lobe to the top if it has chatter it will look like it has steps or little flats along the lobe from the base circle to the top all the way around if it does it will WHINE.
Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Kip, can you help us identify the chatter by providing an idea of what we should be looking for, and how to look for it?

This alone could save us all a lot of heart ache, and wasted time and money.

EDIT - some interesting reading and a picture: http://www.engineproblem.com.au/camgrind_know.htm
http://www.leabrasive.com/balanced.html
http://www.sciemetric.com/sites/defa...afts_AN192.pdf
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

"Grinding chatter marks are often seen on the base circle and the sides of the lobe. Chatter marks can cause hydraulic lifter problems and premature wear. Pronounced chatter marks and eccentricity on the base circle can cause hydraulic lifter pump up and an engine miss on idle."

My lifter tick got pretty bad after these Lunati cams. I'm swapping the lifters this weekend for sure.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way to look at the cam card date and know if you got one of the bad batches? Or is it just a random occurrence?

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 03-13-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Is there a way to look at the cam card date and know if you got one of the bad batches? Or is it just a random occurrence?
Seems to be random. Is yours whinning? If not, you got one that Comp felt like doing right. But beware, if you decide on getting a new Comp grind. As Kip said, inspect the cam as best you can.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Cam Motion cams are not much more than Lunati/Comp...

Worth it for the peace of mind.

Plus, they are cam doctored before they go out. That alone is worth any extra $.

Quick Reply: Whining Noise After Cam Change