Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 pistons

Can anyone help me with this part # LSANX2L9-11 . This number is on the top of my pistons in my 2000 vette. I bought the vehicle and engine ran lean and ruined my pistons and heads. I'm trying to buy another set of pistons (the same) but was not able to figure what brand I have. All I know they are not stock pistons.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happened? Did it detonate?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Yes, the pistons look like some one took a hammer and pick and just tore into them and the head. Part of the pistons are missing along the edges. My mechanic said it was because of the vehicle running too lean. The plugs that were in the engine were bosh plat plugs. They were missing the electrodes when I removed them. Now I have to replace pistons and heads. The vehicle was not stock.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably have to do more than just a get a piston and a new head. You could have scratched the cylinder walls.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Yea, they checked my cylinder walls and they are ok. I'm just stuck because we can't identify the pistons.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Exclamation

I can't help you with the part #, but I CAN tell you what really destroyed your engine!!!!! I did the same thing on my '95 Heads only LT1 Z28. Broke 5 pistons, ( ring lands ) and took awhile to figure it out. I had started getting a high rpm miss before I took out my engine. I couldn't figure it out, replaced pcm, wires, new BOSCH Platinum plugs, still there, until massive blow by, and spun bearing killed it. When I finally got to my third motor, ( long story, don't ask ) I decided to go back to the factory AC Delco Platinums. Guess what?!!!!!! I think the super clean running Bosch's eventually turn into IGNITORS!!!!!! Like a diesel engine!!!!!!!! I had a lot of cylinder pressure with my first head only LT1 and the Bosch's are as good as Splitfire's as far as performance apps. THEY ARE GARBAGE AND KILLED MY FIRST MOTOR AND ALMOST MY SECOND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They run too hot!!!!!!! My LT1 turned a best of 14.20 stock, but slowed to a 14.40 after I went with the "better Botched Plugs". I was new to this EFI thing so I didn't know a spark plug could kill a non-power adder motor!!!!!! I don't think your engine leaned out, it detonated to death because of those crap Bosch plugs.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

do you have to have the same pistons? how many are you replacing?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Teching In

That was my conclusion. I figured the plugs were way to hot and melted. It really sucks because I only purchased the vehicle in Sept 05 and only made 4 payments and 3000 miles on the engine before I have to replace. I think the vette dealer put the plugs in the vehicle (their inspection before sold) before they sold the vehicle (can't prove it though). I sent my head to Dart for repair or new one and now stuck on the pistons. I have a set of Lunati forged flat top pistons for a with rods and arp bolts that was supposed to before a LS1 but did'nt fit (i'm thinking they are for a sm blk 350). Lunati website shows a different piston for the LS1 and sm blk 350. Is there a difference?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trooperr
Lunati website shows a different piston for the LS1 and sm blk 350. Is there a difference?
yes. 350cid is 4.00" bore, LS1 is 3.9xx".. i think. the LS1 piston is going to be a totally different design; i.e. pin height/diam., rings, skirts..
Old 02-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I'm going to have to replace all the pistons. If you could see the pic I have it would make you go "what the F_ _ _ !"
Old 02-24-2006, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

so besides not knowing the exact measurement of the dome/dish of your old pistons, is there a reason why you won't use different pistons?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Teching In

I want to use whatever I can to get my vette back on its four wheels and off the jack stands. I just don't want to go back to stock pistons since I purchased a modified engine. I was told the engine was producing over 400 hp. I just want something like what I had or better. I was trying to figure out the type and specs of the pistons so I could purchase the same or a different set.