Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pics of the old F13 carnage.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well this sucks, i am kind of worried now. i am going pull the heads next month and see what i find.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SideStep
Your what??? Lifters or cam, both??? What cam was it???

both gx3
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Launching!

It should be impossible to get that kind of finish from a grinding operation - it looks to me like the final grind operation got skipped.

I just looked back at the pictures (#025) to see if the bearing journals have the same problem - they don't. The lobes should have the same finish the journals do and they are not even close - this is a manufacturing error IMO.

A "blower whine" noise after cam install is NOT normal. If you installed an FMS cam and suddenly had this noise I would seriously consider pulling the cam and checking it before it destroys itself and the lifters and spreads metal throughout the motor. Even if there is no serious damage yet, I would still replace the lifters if they have been run very long at all on a cam with this kind of surface finish.

Steve

Last edited by schultzsj; 03-02-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Launching!

i have that sound, but i also installed a used ASP underdrive pulley. When i push in the clutch, the blower whine sound goes away immediatly though. is there anyway to tell that mine is comming from something with the cam and not the pulley? I didnt put the cam in, so just to get it checked out id have to pay to have someone take it out and put it back in, sicne i really dont have time to do that, nor do i know exactly how. I ordered my cam when they had the 10% off all cam and cam packages.
thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-02-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandon1221
i have that sound, but i also installed a used ASP underdrive pulley. When i push in the clutch, the blower whine sound goes away immediatly though. is there anyway to tell that mine is comming from something with the cam and not the pulley? I didnt put the cam in, so just to get it checked out id have to pay to have someone take it out and put it back in, sicne i really dont have time to do that, nor do i know exactly how. I ordered my cam when they had the 10% off all cam and cam packages.
thanks,
Brandon
Sounds more like the tranny/drivetrain whining if you only hear it with the clutch out...
Old 03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks,
Brandon
Take a head off and look at your lifters. It's not hard.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F11 I bought from them in December had some pitting on the journals. Had some mechanics tell me to install it that way cause it "wasn't that bad" but I sent it back to them thinking that it would continue to erode and cause the type of damage you've now had. They finally (long story I'm sure most of you know about) sent a new cam back to me. The new cam had a completely different look to it between the lobes and journals, like it was a different type of metal or process to make the core. At the time there were about 7 or 8 cams that were faulty and I've seen some posts here and there from others that had similar issues with their Futral cams since then.

I inspected the new one with a magnifying glass before installing it and it doesn't have the whine your describing so I guess I feel safe.
Attached Thumbnails New Pics of the old F13 carnage.-pict0723.jpg  
Old 03-02-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well ****, mine sounds like a blower too. Not that loud but it's there. New about the F13 whine but never really cared since it out down the power.

Guitsboy-

What were the original symptoms that made you pull the cam and then the heads?
Did you noice a loss in power and then pulled the lifters?

I have about 7K on mine and bought it in Dec 2004.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Bad Seller Alert

Now i am concerned. I installed the f14 and have had the blower whine ever since i installed it. Guess i will have to look into it. Looks like i am 1 of many who have this problem. ****!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

Not sure what the "blower" sound complaint noise is from,but I find it hard to believe that the grooves on the lobes that a few are pointing out is making the noise. Not saying it can't happen, but we have yet to hear any noise like this after an install done here. The only thing I remember ANYBODY complaing about was the whistle noise from the T\B.

If anybody gets\has a cam that they feel has or might be an issues,send it back and we will have it refinished or replaced.

Thanks,Allan
Old 03-02-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Futral Motorsports
I find it hard to believe that the grooves on the lobes that a few are pointing out is making the noise.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I remember ANYBODY complaing about was the whistle noise from the T\B.
The whistle noise and blowert whine are one and the same IMO. However my whistle / whine stayed the same throughout 3 different throttlebodies, not to mention closing the IAC and plugging the crankcase air tube, so I dont think it was a TB issue.

Thanks you for offering to take a look at my cam. I am interested in hearing your opinion. Ill be shipping it in shortly. Ill also include my lifters if you think it would help. Im not necessarily looking to get a new cam out of you, im more interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter. If you do feel that the cam was at fault, it would be great if the cam could be reground though. But like I said, im not looking for a handout.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My whistling started when I added my Futral cam. No other changes done. Had a TR224 before.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Well ****, mine sounds like a blower too. Not that loud but it's there. New about the F13 whine but never really cared since it out down the power.

Guitsboy-

What were the original symptoms that made you pull the cam and then the heads?
Did you noice a loss in power and then pulled the lifters?

I have about 7K on mine and bought it in Dec 2004.

I started mine up one day and it started going derr derr derr derr derr. It as pretty nasty No loss in power. Just an awful sound...

Allan i'll send mine back Monday. Thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Launching!

when I was running my crane gold rocker arm in conjunction with a 220/224 cam I too had the whining squeeking noise. And it too went away when the clutch was engaged, or when the RPM's climbed. It only happend around idle, and only when the oil reached 150 degrees.

I think how tight the crank pulley is on the snout of the crank has some affect on this. I had my car on jackstands and the whining noise seemed to be coming from the bellhousing area, so I assumed the flywheel may have been off balance, but that wouldnt explain why it only did it when the motor was warm.

Sooooo, after the cam swap, no squeeking, BUTTTTT, the crank bolt wasnt tightened down enough, and it came out. Sooooo, now that were gonna get it in there good this time Im praying that ******* whine doesnt come back, Im positive its crank bolt/crank related.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Launching!

... I find it hard to believe that the grooves on the lobes that a few are pointing out is making the noise.
Alan, I don't know you but I have heard nothing but good things about your cams and I give you kudos for stepping up and promising to make any problems right. However, with all due respect, if I was you I would be hoping that the grooves ARE making the noise so that people have some way to tell if they got one of these bad cams BEFORE it destroys their engine.

Instead of waiting for people to send in their defective cams and exposing yourself to the liability of widespread engine damage, you might consider trying to determine what serial numbers, model numbers, and/or manufacturing dates might have had this problem and proactively contacting the owners.

This is NOT a bash - believe it or not I am trying to be helpful to both you and your customers. Assuming the pictures are indeed of one of your cams, I am sure that you know as well as I do that this problem will not go away by ignoring it - ALL cams with this problem will eventually break down the lifter rollers and self destruct.

Steve
Old 03-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Staging Lane

just remember allen does not make the cam like i said in early post cam company gave him a bad batch of cams.Thats how I think it happened I dont even know the guy or have ever bought any thing from him.I personal dont think it is his fault.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:12 AM
On The Tree

thanks,
Brandon

I have that sound a little also. But I am sure it is coming from the gattor back belt.

You could pull the belt off and start it up cold and let it idle (for a short time of course) to see if that eliminates it.

Also if you wanted to just check if the cam has the texture that people are mentioning you can simply pull the intake and the valley plate covering the knock sensors and look in the windows in the front and rear of the block at the lobes visible. IMHO I would start there long before pulling a head or the cam. "IF" the ridges are there what you do from there is up to you.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

damn it! i too have the infamous blower sound. my only problem is that im deployed so i cant pull the damn cam till i get back home in august i think im going to go back to the f10. i liked the power band on it. I pm'd allan, so lets see what happens.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

fyi, mine shipped 10/14/2005 and was installed in november of 05. am i safe?

Quick Reply: New Pics of the old F13 carnage.