Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Editorial about recent FMS Issues (Please Read)

Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Editorial about recent FMS Issues (Please Read)

Noticed that everyone is having problems lately with mostly F13 cams. But have not noticed much else with F11s, F14s, F15s and much else. I know theres a more out there. One thing that I personally would not like to see. Is some of this stuff to get so blown out of poportion that its puts a good hurtin on Futral Motorsports. Heck, remember when Patriot was having problems? I'm sure that alot of the bashing they got from here didnt help. Now look at them. There good to go and the old problems are long lost and forgotten of except by those of us that were around to watch it and personally experience it. But like I said some of these issues could be operator error, some could be a bad batch of cams, possibilities go on and on.

Lets all take this the right way, and if anything I think we should incorporate all the F? ate this or lifters bad with F? cams into one. Reason being, if you click on the internal section within the first page you find 5+ post about problems with FMS cams. There are alot of newbies that wander into the internal section looking for more power and there are lots of experienced vets. I'm not a vet by no means. However when I was researching cams, littlest things would greatly influence my decision. Whether is was the right way or wrong.

Lets do this smart people. Thank you for your time and patience.

William (Ski)

william.schramski@usmc.mil
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant agree with you more.
We know Futural does a hell of a job making the LS1tech community happy.
Lets do a favor back to them and combine all problems into one thread and even make it a sticky until we can figure out the problem and the cure.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well.. i couldnt dissagree more

If futral is making bad cams at the moment... attention needs to be brought to it

If it comes down to me trashing my lifters and brand new cam because an issue wasnt brought up why should i throw 600$ down the toilet... its not my fault that futral is selling a bad cam...

WITH that said that doesnt mean futral made a great product previously its just that they are apparently having problems now

Use this forum for what it was meant for... information (ie who is making a great product and who isnt)
Old 03-07-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mod your car, you run the risk of parts breaking. I knew it before i put my cam in, and i got bit... twice. Im still not bitter, and I gladly still recommend the f-13 to those that ask me about it. I believe I may have an incorrectly ground cam, although i do not stake my life on this claim. Im sending it back to allan and he will give me his opinion. If he feels that it wasnt the cams fault, so be it. Im not going to be pist. Its part of the game.

While allan's one post did come off as overly defensive in my opinion, he seems to be doing the right thing here to help everyone out and look at the cams. He's doing what he can to make things right. His after sale service alone make it worth buying a futral cam. Allan has a stellar track record, and Im sure that he is doing all he can to fix and errors and keep them from happening again on his side.

To sum up: Futral is a great company and allan is going out of his way to keep his customers happy.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
Well.. i couldnt dissagree more

If futral is making bad cams at the moment... attention needs to be brought to it

If it comes down to me trashing my lifters and brand new cam because an issue wasn't brought up why should i throw 600$ down the toilet... its not my fault that Futral is selling a bad cam...

WITH that said that doesn't mean Futral made a great product previously its just that they are apparently having problems now

Use this forum for what it was meant for... information (ie who is making a great product and who isn't)

IMO that is a pore out look and mindset. Have you dealt with them or even have their products??

They have great support, customer service I have never had a problem with. They have always been a great to me and anyone I talk to that deal with them.

Personally am running a F13 and checked everything and installed everything even set the springs up as recommended. I have faith in their product and support them fully until I have reason to believe otherwise. "Just say" that most if not almost all the failures were a bad batch of Cams, That does not mean that they are a bad Vendor or do not deserve the support they have earned over the past years!!

If you have ever owned or been part of a business you would understand that sometimes things like this happen. I am also not surprised that they have not made a statement yet or even if they do. If they were to it could harm then more than it already possibly is. Everyone would be holding them accountable for what they post. When the reality is that even though I hate to say it it may take time and to look at each one on a one by one basis.

Remember they are still running a business ant with them doing so it benefits us!!

Besides Know one from Futral asked us to put a Cam in our cars, there is no warranty when you start playing this game and if you live a realistic life you know that when you start doing what we are doing your only playing with fire and things ARE going to break and fail.

Would you blame them if you broke your 10 bolt???
Old 03-07-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wasnt trashing futral... but like I said if bad parts are being made it needs to be known about

I think its great that futral is helping out his customers... but to use your "things happen" logic you know that when things happen in a buisness the buisness gets burned until it blows over and/or the problem is fixed... its the nature of the beast

"Besides Know one from Futral asked us to put a Cam in our cars"... um, yes they did... how the do you think they survive as a buisiness... by selling a product that is expected to be worth while

Hopefully this problem gets solved id still like to pick up an f13
Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

My F14 is going in tommorow and I have heard alot of good stuff about the cam and Futrals cams in general.

That being said I think it does need to be public knowledge if there is an issue with the cams. I dont want to trash my lifters and cam and possibly worse because of some sort of F up like this
Old 03-07-2006, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Futral doesn't grind their own cams. Cammotion would be the culprit if there was an actual hardware 'fault' in a camshaft.
'Modding' a car is a gamble...things can go wrong at anytime, heck if you rip on a car ALL the time eventually something is going to give. Machines are not perfect forever.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RM99Z
Futral doesn't grind their own cams. Cammotion would be the culprit if there was an actual hardware 'fault' in a camshaft.
That's exactlly what I was fixing to say. In the whole midst of things, Futral hasn't done anything wrong. If bad cams were sent out, it's Cammotions fault, not Futrals. There's no way for Futral to "test" a camshaft for the proper molecular structure. Anyone who blames Futral is showing their own ignorence.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:40 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
That's exactlly what I was fixing to say. In the whole midst of things, Futral hasn't done anything wrong. If bad cams were sent out, it's Cammotions fault, not Futrals. There's no way for Futral to "test" a camshaft for the proper molecular structure. Anyone who blames Futral is showing their own ignorence.
I feel that way too.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I feel the same way....A isolated problem crops up and now every sponser (MTI,Futral,Thunder, etc) have somehow also been recommending and installing the wrong length PR (7.40s) with stock heads and cam. BS.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Futural is a great company and i have ran many of their cams in the past
Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Avengeance
For what its worth.. Ive personally driven HALLZs car and that cam has me REALLY impressed. LOTS of power...

People.. if you were, or are, considering a Futral cam... like HALLZ said.. still get one just make sure they have addressed this issue. From the sounds of it it may not even exist anymore.

Thanks Nick,
Now let me miss a few gears in you car after you get it to FFP for a tune!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

who in the end is selling you that cam. they are the ones that recieve the money you payfor it. how would it not be their fault? if they are selling something it should be something that does not have a mechanical defect no matter if they made it or not. "Oh im sorry our product has a problem we didnt make it it's their fault" is not how it works(not saying they said it but just an example). "Things going wrong" in cars is mechanical failure not mechanical DEFECTS which is what is being talked about in this case.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HALLZ
Thanks Nick,
Now let me miss a few gears in you car after you get it to FFP for a tune!
Miss a few gears? Or did you mean row a few gears?

If you meant miss, you better hope I miss a gear or two after I get tuned.. its the only chance youll have at being in front of me.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Launching!

You wanna Play??? You gotta pay. In my past 25 years of modding cars… it always been my experience that reliability drops relatively to the mods done, regardless of components, shops, mechanics and aftermarket manufactures. That’s just a fact of life and a risk you take. Trust me I was always working on my 79 Z-28 back in the day.

There could be some inherent problems lurking that we not be aware about till they pop the ugly little head up. What will it be tomorrow? Speed shop X AL-Qaeda Killer pushrods, or a year from know that we find out there is an inherent problems with the LSx blocks cracking because of harmonics of a certain Crank shaft manufacture. (theoretically speaking of course) That’s a risk you take . IMHO taking into account the reliability factor of American cars in general. I have a Mazda and Toyota as Daily drivers

I’m fortunate enough to have the race car to accept(reluctently) that sometimes component failure happens. and the can of worms being opened with this LSx conversion. .

I want to put a supercharger on my New Toyota Tundra, but my wife wont let me, she says its fast enough and knows my history with cars

Last edited by TAF Motorsports; 03-08-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

In the whole midst of things, Futral hasn't done anything wrong. If bad cams were sent out, it's Cammotions fault, not Futrals.
How so?? We, the customer, buy the cam from Futral, not cam motion which makes Futral responsible for the product theyre selling.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is just fodder for cheerleaders, pro and con. It offers nothing technical for those of us having the problems (I am happy for you if everything is working fine for you, but I do not need to know that)... Just another place for cheerleading or bashing... nothing in here has not already been covered in length in other threads... just another place to jump on the bandwagon... absolute waste of forum resources
Old 03-08-2006, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

my cam from them seems alright, although it was ordered 3 weeks before christmas, and he said it would be there shortly after christmas, and i got it at the end of january.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Editorial about recent FMS Issues (Please Read)