Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few cam questions... Magic Stick Owners as well... Advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few cam questions... Magic Stick Owners as well... Advice please!!

Firts let me say, my car is NOT a daily driver!!

I have the following mods...
160 tstat (doubt it matters)
ORY
Mac Mid-Lengths
SLP loud mouth
SLP lid
Drilled TB butterfly
Ported MAF

I'm installing a SPEC Stage 2 this weekend (got it for super-cheap from a friend who decided to go turbo and get a SPEC Stage 5) and I plan on getting 4.10s...

I plan on getting a TSP Magic Stick and a 150 wet shot... and from what I've seen, this cam responds well to nitrous with a good tune. I plan on having it tuned at PCMforless with LS1Edit. So with that said, I have a few questions...

1 - Am I correct in thinking the magic stick will work well with the nitrous?
2 - What will I need to replace in the valvetrain when I do the cam? (include gaskets and all please)
3 - What type of power should I see (just on average) on and off the bottle with the mods I have already?
4 - Will 4.10s be too much? (Keep in mind this car will be driven only a few times a week on the street and at the track often... I have another vehicle for daily duty)
5 - Estimate of track times? (this question is pretty optional)
6 - What else should I consider upgrading?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2006, 03:12 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Yes, very well.
2. Pushrods, Springs, Retainers, Maybe Lifters, Oil Pump, Would be optimal time for a UD pulley as well, Timing chain, and some RTV seal in a tube for the timing cover.
3.Power, I would consider some longtubes if it can be worked into your budget. the power with cam only and a few boltons should be right at or around 400 +/- 5 either way. On the hose with a 150, you could see upwards of 540-560 and tq around 600ish.
4. 4.10s would probably be optimal because a cam of that size will steal from your low end power. So you are correct in this assumption. I do however feel sorry for your rear end.
5. Depends on your driving. M6 maybe in the low 12's possibly be able to click off an 11 N/A. On the hose you may or may not be low 11's high 10's.
6. I put it in all under #2.

Hope this helps some. you might want to see what other people chime in with that have more experience with the MS3. I do however have a cousin grind of it so I have an idea of how it is going to act in your setup.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.10s may be a bit too much for the 1320 with a 150 shot. Depends which tires you run.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:42 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your tires stick... bye bye 10 bolt!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll likely be running a set of BFG DRs... I have a set of M/T ET streets, but theyre nearly done and I won't goto the track often enough this coming season to justify new ones. So if I can keep the rear intact this season with the DRs... I'll budget a 12 bolt for an over-the-winter thing and then get a new set of slicks.

But basically ... watch out at the track cuz my 10 bolt might eat itself huh?