Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the stock preload?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
All lifters pump up at higher rpms....A rhoads lifter simply bleeds off more oil at low rpms those reducing valve lift/duration. If your valves float it is because you do not have enough spring tension for the valve/spring assembly mass. Assuming you have some, preload does not cause valve float. This is why you can set preload to a variety of values and never see a difference in power.

Thats my take on it anyway.
Im not disagreeing with anything you said. Nor did I think my previous post disagreed either. I will however say that many manufacturers do indeed suggest the shorter than stock preload claiming it battles pump up at high rpms. I dont see how its possible except that maybe the plunger spring will apply less pressure. All this assumes that youre setup is just barely able to keep things under control... running it right on the edge.
Also, i want to state that while all hyd lifters do have a tendency to pump up, wether or not it happend depends very much on your setup, otherwise ever dyno graph would show a drop off in power.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why you can set preload to a variety of values and never see a difference in power.
complete BS

i just dynoed after a fast intake and pushrods, according to the airflow rate increase from the fast intake and then the pushrods (which was noticeable after the pushrods, 12 g/sec increase in airflow WOT, 15 with the fast). I gained 25 rwhp which makes about 11 of it from pushrods. the valve was opening sooner, and you can see that as i put the new pushrods on the car.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
complete BS

i just dynoed after a fast intake and pushrods, according to the airflow rate increase from the fast intake and then the pushrods (which was noticeable after the pushrods, 12 g/sec increase in airflow WOT, 15 with the fast). I gained 25 rwhp which makes about 11 of it from pushrods. the valve was opening sooner, and you can see that as i put the new pushrods on the car.
Tony Mamo has done tests where the only variable was differnces in preload. He stated he saw no difference in power made....

Of course that doesnt mean you didnt see any, you could have really been on the ragged edge. I just doubt it myself.

Ive actually been considering trying a slightly longer pushrod myself, then dynoing right after with that being the only change. It would be worth it to me if it just quiets the valvetrain a little.

Last edited by cantdrv65; 03-26-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper
"This is why you can set preload to a variety of values and never see a difference in power."

The internet is great for opinions. Most opinions I've read on this site say it CAN affect power.

Not knocking what your saying, just pointing out the opinion is on both sides of the fence.

But if too much preload can hang valves open ( to the point the car won't start and it backfires through the intake ) then wouldn't it make sense that a little less than that ( enough for the car to run ) would be down on power too?
Yes I totally agree with that... I wasnt referring to extremes either TOO loose or TOO tight. But hey Im full of **** anyway. Im going to add one of those disclaimers to my sig.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:14 AM
12 Second Club

I recall the post Tony has about his comp lifters and preload, so I understand why you would think that. And you're right, he wasn't at the edge ( top or bottom ). No worries, we're all learning.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I totally agree with that... I wasnt referring to extremes either TOO loose or TOO tight. But hey Im full of **** anyway. Im going to add one of those disclaimers to my sig.
Not for nothing, but My car has shown a 16 RWHP discrepancy over three consecutive pulls with no changes and no dyno tricks. Unless you were getting valve float or pumpup, and could see the drop off on the graph, its tough to believe the accuracy of the results.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

actually Tony is the one that told me about this. I am on stock lifters and if his test was with comps then I think it was just because they dont require as much preload as the stockers do.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

I've been following this thread because I'm going to change to longer PR's this week also. Much of the confusion on the actual length of various PR's come from the different ways different manufacturers measure their PR's and how the oil hole comes into play. I don't have a 8" caliper to measure the length I but here's what I did to measure the difference between stock, Comp 7.4's and comp 7.425's.

I put a piece of glass on the bench. Setup my dial indicater and put an old rocker arm on top of the PR's so that the dial indicater plunger didn't fall into the different size oil holes and set the other end on the flat surface of the glass. Measured the stock one and made that a zero point. Measured the comp 7.4...was .019 longer than stock. Measured the comp 7.425 which was .026 longer than the 7.4. Total difference in length from stock to a comp 7.425 was .045.

All this proves a comp 7.425 PR on a cam only swap (stock heads,stock head gasket) to the common 1.45x base circle cams is within ~.005 - .006 to having the stock preload assuming stock base circles are 1.553.

Something I found interesting is that when I adjusted the PR checker to what should be 7.40 it was .011 shorter than the comp 7.40 PR. One turn did equal .050 though.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

"One turn did equal .050 though"

Good to know by dial indicator
Old 03-27-2006, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Viper
"One turn did equal .050 though"

Good to know by dial indicator
Just to be clear,I'm talking about the PR checker not the rocker arm bolt.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AFTICA
I've been following this thread because I'm going to change to longer PR's this week also. Much of the confusion on the actual length of various PR's come from the different ways different manufacturers measure their PR's and how the oil hole comes into play. I don't have a 8" caliper to measure the length I but here's what I did to measure the difference between stock, Comp 7.4's and comp 7.425's.

I put a piece of glass on the bench. Setup my dial indicater and put an old rocker arm on top of the PR's so that the dial indicater plunger didn't fall into the different size oil holes and set the other end on the flat surface of the glass. Measured the stock one and made that a zero point. Measured the comp 7.4...was .019 longer than stock. Measured the comp 7.425 which was .026 longer than the 7.4. Total difference in length from stock to a comp 7.425 was .045.

All this proves a comp 7.425 PR on a cam only swap (stock heads,stock head gasket) to the common 1.45x base circle cams is within ~.005 - .006 to having the stock preload assuming stock base circles are 1.553.

Something I found interesting is that when I adjusted the PR checker to what should be 7.40 it was .011 shorter than the comp 7.40 PR. One turn did equal .050 though.
Thank you for confirming
Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember, pushrods are measured by Gauge Length, not OAL so you can't compare our measured length to that stamped on the pushrod. You must add the difference between the two measurements. Also, not sure if all manufacturers use the same gauge length either, Comp uses 0.140 diameter on the ball.

Last edited by vettenuts; 04-05-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Remember, Comp measures their pushrod length differently than say Crane or Manley. Comp uses Gauge Length, Crane and Manley use OAL so you can't compare Comp lengths to the others as their method of measurement is different.
This is true and is the reason that so many conflicting PR lengths have been posted.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Remember, Comp measures their pushrod length differently than say Crane or Manley. Comp uses Gauge Length, Crane and Manley use OAL so you can't compare Comp lengths to the others as their method of measurement is different.
Yeah, but if you measure stock length and the any aftermarket you have, you get a pretty good picture IMO.