Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $1000 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The $1000 question

Do I wait to buy a more expensive add on? I want a sick cam eventually...but that will require more than just the cam... What to do next with a G?

Already have 12 bolt/SPEC Stage IV/GS D3s/Lid/Hooker LTs-ORY-Catback/BMR lower control arms

Looking for a bang for the buck. Should I do UDPs, Throttle body and an LS6 intake perhaps? Or should I go with suspension upgrades (ie SFCs)
Old 03-11-2006, 04:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol! you looking for power or traction first off? 2 different animals. You probably need a combination of both little bits at a time. Assuming you ar M6 judging by the spec 4 I think that you would be safe on getting a decent sized cam. All depending on what type of gears you have in the 12 bolt.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Launching!

Cam + Springs + Lifters (optional).
You can do Cam and springs for under a grand if you do the work yourself.
The only real supporting mod you'd have to do that you don't already have would be to get it dyno tuned, maybe gears... depending on what you have in your 12 bolt right now.

Of course it'd be better to do heads and cam, but I think overall you'd be alot more happy with a cam over suspension upgrades at this point.

SFC's are pretty much a mandatory modification though, so you should definitely do that eventually.

When you say 'sick'.... how sick are you talking? T-rex sick? Ms3 Sick? 25x sick?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
Cam + Springs + Lifters (optional).
You can do Cam and springs for under a grand if you do the work yourself.
The only real supporting mod you'd have to do that you don't already have would be to get it dyno tuned, maybe gears... depending on what you have in your 12 bolt right now.

Of course it'd be better to do heads and cam, but I think overall you'd be alot more happy with a cam over suspension upgrades at this point.

SFC's are pretty much a mandatory modification though, so you should definitely do that eventually.

When you say 'sick'.... how sick are you talking? T-rex sick? Ms3 Sick? 25x sick?
I have 4.10s, and I'm thinkin Magic Stick 3 ..... Looks like Texas Speed has a "kit" with it. But still would need new pushrods, timing chain, and dyno tune like ya said. Might put me a tiny bit over budget...but not a bad deal nevertheless
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=175
Old 03-11-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

i would save up and get the ls6 intake at the same time.you might be able to find a ms3,prods and springs in the for sale section,along with the ls6 intake.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Do I wait to buy a more expensive add on? I want a sick cam eventually...but that will require more than just the cam... What to do next with a G?

Already have 12 bolt/SPEC Stage IV/GS D3s/Lid/Hooker LTs-ORY-Catback/BMR lower control arms

Looking for a bang for the buck. Should I do UDPs, Throttle body and an LS6 intake perhaps? Or should I go with suspension upgrades (ie SFCs)
save up a few more hundred and have speedinc do a cam install
Old 03-11-2006, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Why pay someone to do it if you can do it yourself? I would rather wipe with TP than cash.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^very true...haha! It really isnt gonna be that hard to do. I was a little worried for awhile but I am gaining confidence and am actually looking forward to doing it myself. There are step by step walkthroughs for cam installs so it wont be too hard. You can do the cam, springs, etc., plus a dyno tune for under a grand if you do the install yourself.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 4mula
save up a few more hundred and have speedinc do a cam install
Trust me...I have had Speed Inc do some work. While it was well worth the money spent (clutch/master cylinder and some suspension)... It's warm out, I now have a full garage to work in, and the money for a custom grind isn't worth it to me.

For ***** and giggles though....how much does Speed Inc charge if I bring in my cam?

FWIW, I've spent around 5-6 grand over there....while I know that isn't much compared to others...maybe if it was cheap enough...it'd be worth my while to save from possible headaches
Old 03-12-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the parts and a case of red bull and ill have the cam in in a weekend. Take the install $ and get a used LS6 intake. But if you think you couldnt hook before...
Old 03-12-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Trust me...I have had Speed Inc do some work. While it was well worth the money spent (clutch/master cylinder and some suspension)... It's warm out, I now have a full garage to work in, and the money for a custom grind isn't worth it to me.

For ***** and giggles though....how much does Speed Inc charge if I bring in my cam?

FWIW, I've spent around 5-6 grand over there....while I know that isn't much compared to others...maybe if it was cheap enough...it'd be worth my while to save from possible headaches

i think the avarage price is 1400 for everything.
i had mine installed when on sale for like 1100.